Rubbed behind elbows- girth recommendations please??

fathorselover

Visit site
My mare is becoming a bit bald behind her elbows - may I point out she is not sore and I am looking to rectify this asap! She has I suppose a forward girth groove, up until now I have been using a shaped waffle type girth with elastic on both ends.

I have seen the new prolite / fairfax girths which I must say look fab BUT with other financial commitments that's quite a bit of money to be shelling out at the moment. Is anyone able to recommend a slightly cheaper alternative that is well cut away behind the elbows? I have seen ones such as the harry dabbs anatomic girth but to me it still looks quite straight rather than a true curve!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I am of no help as our solution was the Stubben Equisoft Girth :eek:. However this has stopped the rubs and given her such freedom of movement.

Our second choice was going to the Ideal F2 Affinity girth, about the £90 I think and the leather is beautifully soft.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I can recommend the harry dabbs waffle girth, I am going to upgrade to a leather one now though ;) partly as the binding has split although F has always been better with a plastic girth. Paul Jones saddlery are going to make me one of theirs with shorter elastic bits as he is only a 42 so if standard elastic length the leather/elastic join sits below his numnah and rubs. My mum's mare has the same problem and she has an ideal affinity.
aerborn elastic both ends
11060836_10156066814715438_514139928483145534_n.jpg

HD one
11181198_10156066814470438_1102061602056779347_n.jpg

ester

Visit site
Ooh, thankyou ester! The first pic is more or less exactly how my mares girth looks on her- perhaps I will give the harry dabbs a try! ��

I have a 42 going spare if that would help, I found we needed to go up a size from the aerborn.

Chloeap

Visit site
I have the Prolite one for my jump saddle - it's MUCH cheaper than the fairfax and my horse goes so well in it and seems much happier than using my dressage saddle and thorowgood girth.
In my local tack shop it is the cheapest of the 'nicer' girths!

ester

Visit site
I think I've heard too many tales of the prolite rubbing to pay that much for it, and if I am spending that much I would rather get a leather one so at the very least I can polish it. I also don't think they have got round to making them in brown.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I spent stacks of money on girths. All fixed when I got a Fairfax. I know they are expensive, but if I had bought one to start with it would have saved me a load of money in the long run.

ester

Visit site
See I just haven't problem was mostly solved about 9 years ago with the aerborn, (about (£12)). I bought the HD second hand for £20 ;) and have ordered a leather version for £85 still no where near fairfax money! I am also put off by the fact that my YO still has to use deadsheep with hers.