rubber ankles

evsj

Visit site
Does anyone else here have really weak ankles which collapse outwards when they do rising trot? I have knackered both ankle's ligaments (overstretched) and sometimes it can be really difficult trying to keep my toes pointing forwards when keeping leg round the horse.

Sometimes when I do rising trot one ankle 'flips' over and it throws me off balance. Tried those wedge stirrup treads but my instructor told me not to use them. Also had a pair of flexi-irons but they made the problem worse.

Just wondered if anyone else had this problem and how they deal with it?
confused.gif

Sparklet

Visit site
I have weak ankles which have been made worse by spraining them over and over again as a kid. I do find that mine can sometime flip (its a bit like a part sprain) when doing riding trot. Its not very nice but fortunatley it doesnt happen that often.

My advice would be to make sure your boots have good ankle support, I always wear laced ones rather than long boots or jodhpur boots. Ariat leather gaiters are also quite supportive so wear those over the top.

I use flexi strirrups, the ones with the rubber strip covering the hinges down the sides and do find that they help. Failing all of that you can get neoprene ankle support from sports shops - okay for riding in but you wouldnt want to wear them all day because they do make your feet sweat
crazy.gif

Hope that helps!

evsj

Visit site
Yes, that does sound like me. I am in the process of getting some new boots - have ariat chaps at the mo but they are a fitting too wide on my calf so not very supportive.

At least it's not just me!
crazy.gif

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
thanks guy, this has helped me!!! recovering from baadly sprained anckle at the mo, another month before I can ride again. miss it soo much.

Thanks
xx

k9h

Visit site
I have weak ankle ligaments. you could always try using a tubergrip or even better would be to strap your ankle with tape, which is what I do for rugby players & all other limbs! To aid support. You could quite easily do it yourself.

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
OMG!! Completely! I broke my 5th metatarsil in my left foot in 2000 and my right ankle in march 2005.

A few months ago I was trotting round the school when my left calf got a bit tight/pulled feeling then my left ankle went completely like it was folding in half. I couldnt straighten it and as it went on an rise I almost went ot the side door.

It happened again today when I was jumping, this time it had been tighter when we were out hacking in the early afternoon but I ignored that and did a wee bit of jumping and as I landed and cantered away it went again - thank lord I had a flash through my d-rings (woose when jumping). It was still agony till about 8pm.

They have always been lose, adn I do have a Bioskin ankle support ot wear but it doesnt fit inside my boot and I always feel daft with it on
frown.gif

I also have flexi stirrups - always have, so not actually sure thye make a difference, but they do make my ankle felx MORE than with fixed ones, and I liek to ride with my toes on the stirrups - no the ball fo my foot.

Patches

Visit site
I am very impressed with how you've refrained from getting in the saddle. I could barely walk when I tore my ankle ligaments but I was still hacking. It was painful, I can't deny, but I kidded myself it was a form of Physio!
grin.gif

Back to the OP, I strapped my foot up with Vet wrap before riding. I ran two pieces of gamgee down either side of my ankle (ligamen area to the back of anke bone) first. Worked for me. Mine never turned over whilst using it. Must admit though, I ride with pointy out toes. If I turn my toes in, I can really feel the pain down the outside of my ankle.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I broke my right ankle when I was in my teens and its never quite been "right". I often strap mine when I ride (along with my knees
tongue.gif
) either with a tubigrip or, as Patches said, vet wrap seems to work even better (can get a better tension on it!
tongue.gif
)

Also as someone else mentioned, riding in good boots will help you a lot.

Unfortunatly (or otherwise), my trainer is quite tough and isn't into the whole "it huuuurts" excuses, so I spent a good few months on the lunge with my stirrups tied very tightly to the girth area. I have to say, it hurt like HELL for quite a long time, but for the first time in years, I have no problems with my toes turning outwards when I ride.

But definitly get some support on it. Im more bandaged up before i ride than my horse is :|

Patches

Visit site
I fastened my stirrups to the girth one day this week. I was amazed at how they pulled my toes in. Surprisingly it didn't hurt as much as I thought as my feet were being held there, I wasn't trying to force them to that position.

Might do it again.
grin.gif