Rubber matting- how much bedding to have & knocked hocks!?

charlie76

Visit site
Those of you that use rubber matting- how much bedding do you put down? If I put down just a little bit of bedding my horse scraps his hocks but then if you put down too much its a bit pointless having matting!

Thanks!

Tia

Visit site
I bank the stables and then sprinkle a small amount on the floor where they will be lying.

I can't understand how your horse can scrape his hocks on rubber.......
crazy.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
3-4" deep shavings bed. Kept bed 6-7" deep before I put rubber down as my mare tended to go through to concrete if wasn't that deep.

samp

Visit site
I put only a scattering and have banks, sounds like your rubber matting may not be the issue but your horse banging his hocks on the walls - i used to have to bank mine up really high as my horse used to canter around and bang his hocks on the walls

aran

community.webshots.com
the competition yard i was at had matting with a small, thin patch of shavings. a couple of horses used to get rubs on their pasterns from the matting so we made their squares thicker and the problem stopped

tracieprice

Visit site
I have a fairly normal bed - but compared to non-rubber floors, I guess it's fairly low & fairly shallow. The purpose of the mats for me is warmth & protection rather than saving on bedding, so happy to have a fair amount of shavings - I use 1 - 2 bales a week if that helps you...