Rubber matting recommendations?

Mare Stare

Visit site
Looks like my girls have got to start coming in at night because the field is quickly turning into a quagmire. So I'm thinking about getting some rubber matting.

What would be the best thickness to get? The stables they are going in have a cobble-like floor so it's quite bumpy.

I've been looking around and there's so many different types.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Also, I need to keep the cost reasonable as they are not my stables and hubby is already moaning at me about furnishing them!

WelshTilly

Visit site
Get the heavy weight ones - they are around 22mm or so thick - as anything lighter will not last / move around. They are expensive though :(

Ditto this re the thinner ones as they do move around, I've just spent a long time researching mats I ended up getting 35mm cow mats 6x4 and did my 12x12 stable for under £200 try Ark matting, The Black Mat Company, Horse Mats plus etc it's worth shopping around and considering what bed you will put on the top and whether you require drainage or not, in addition to the top design as well for non slip I went for an 'amoebic' pattern which is easy to brush but still non slip.....

welshcobmad

Visit site
Mine are 17mm heavy duty hammertop, had them years, never moved not even a mm. Got a 10yr warranty used them for 4/5years so far, great drainage, not a mark still look brand new & horse is in a lot with shoes & road nails. I have a friend with eva & it lifts & moves plus marks from road nails.

Mare Stare

Visit site
Hmmmmm. Conflicting views.

I've found some 22mm eva ones on ebay, enough to fit out a 12 x 12 stable, including VAT and shipping for £252. Also has 10 year guarantee.

I can't find any companies that have their prices online. I'll have to ring round them tomorrow.

Does anyone else want to share their views on rubber matting?

TGM

Visit site
A lot depends on how much bedding you intend to put on top of the mats. As a general rule, you can get away with cheaper, thinner mats if you are going to use quite a bit of bedding on top. However, if you want to go the minimal bedding route you need decent stable drainage (usually sloping floor leading to a gully or drain) and good quality thick and springy mats (which usually cost more than the thin ones)!

Personally, I use Fieldguard M2 mats which have little rubber legs underneath which makes the mats very springy and comfy, plus allow urine to drain away well (if you have correct drainage in the stable). This means that very little bedding is needed, just enough to absorb any remaining wetness on the mats.

Last edited:

bumblelion

Visit site
Iv got equimats and easimats in my stables. Theyre both EVA, so nice and lightweight! The equimats are 20mm and are great, lasted 4 years up to now, don't leak through, however they were quite expensive at £450 but well worth it. I also bought the easimats last summer for my big lad, he's arthritic so needed the thicker 34mm mats, bit cheaper at £350 with delivery. Both are for 12x12 stables. Really rate the easimats, haven't got the jigsaw design like equimats but don't leak! Very lightweight also and nice and thick and are quite springy. I'd definitely recommend both, depending on budget!

sophiebailey

Visit site
I contacted the local council to see what they did with the rubber matting they take up from childrens playgrounds, turns out they just throw it away so I fitted out my stable for 100 pound! Very thick and non slip however as its so absorbant they do need a good wash every 3 months or they will start to smell :)

juliette

Visit site
I bought mine from Horsemat. They are very helpful and will advise what is best for you based on the surface you are putting them on. I didn't end up with what I thought I needed, as they advised a different one would be better. They take pride in getting it right and their customer service is excellent

LouandBee

Visit site
Hi,
I think the EVA ones are lighter and spongier but of course cost more. I've got EVA cow mats (22mm I think off e-bay) in my mare's stable and they are so nice and light so easy to lift for cleaning etc. However I haven't had them long so not sure how hard wearing they are.
My old boy has the older type rubber mats with drainage groves underneath and bobbles on top. They are soooo heavy I can only just move them when it comes to spring cleaning and they're not exactly comfortable. They have however lasted 8 years so far.