Rubbing tail...

carys220

Visit site
If a horse is rubbing his tail and has no sign of sweetitch whatsoever, is the most likely reason worms or could something else be to blame?

Twigben

Visit site
Hi

It can be a sign of worms - vet told me that there is a worm that lays its eggs just outside the bottom and that makes them itch - i guess just make sure you are up to date on wormers.

My horse itches her tail she too doesnt seem to have sweet itch and i wormed using what the vet recommended, she has bezo-benzolate (?) on her tail but still she itches??

Vet was also stumped?

hellybelly6

Visit site
My horse does this and its driving me up the wall, he had a lovely tail.

If its not worms (tape worms can cause itchy bottoms), try washing the tail in dermoline or something.

I have tried d-itch, skratch and am now trying itch no more lotion. I have put on a test area and will see if there is any reaction tomorrow. If not, I will bathe J in it!

The most effective treatment so far has been washing.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I've been given Melaseb for my pony's tail this week and he doesn't seem to have itched again, since. He developed an abscess at the top of his tail, which he was itching against the stable wall. It's a shampoo for dermatitis in dogs/horses. Not sure if it's POM, though!

carys220

Visit site
It's not my horse, it's one I'm worried about the health of.
frown.gif

Flint12

Visit site
Mites?

my boy itches legs and tail. . .mites has been what alot of people think it is. . .treat my boy using dermoline medicated shampoo. . .

seems to work. . .can be more itchy one day than another. .

But he seems well in himself and happy to work and looks bright. . .is wormed regualarly

I just keep an eys on it and treat him when he seems to really really need it

but that is just the best way to treat my horse
laugh.gif

Timmy100

Visit site
Hi..
You have not washed tail recently and not fully washed away shampoo this can always be a problem..I have done this before and a lovely tail turned into a bog brush...

Timmy100