Rubbish BBC coverage of eventing sjing

spaniel

Visit site
QR

Sounds to me like someone is behaving like a spoiled brat. There are millions of people watching hundreds of sports events all over the globe and you missed a few rounds of showjumping. To be honest words fail me.

WELL DONE AND THANK YOU BBC.

howengold

Visit site
I watched it all!! Fantastic, repeated loads including the live coverage at 2 am 'ish' everymorning!! Saw every team, rider and horse compete!

Well done BBC thankyou x

welshchick

Visit site
I work for a large media company and we have TVs in the office, so I managed to watch the SJ. I thought the BBC coverage was great!

carys220

Visit site
I seem to remember quite a few people complaining at the time. But I am firm believer that a company can't improve if they don't get complaints and see no point complaining to myself or friends if I'm not going to tell the company or individual in question.

And remember, you pay a license fee to the BBC, you have the right to reply!

grin.gif

weevil

Visit site
People were complaining at the time because we knew that the Sjing had started and were impatient to watch it. As it happens we missed very little of the action and I think on the whole that the BBC coverage has been excellent. As others have pointed out there are other sports that get nowhere near as much coverage as the eventing has got...

SpottedCat

Visit site
Anyone who thought the BBC coverage was bad should have had the misfortune of listening to it on radio 5 live, which was ABYSMAL. The only person who knew anything about horses who was sat in their commentary box was Stephen Hadley, so they basically didn't let him speak, they referred to the jumps in the most bizarre fashion, and instead of talking us through each round, they chatted over the first bit leaving listeners wondering what the hell was going on as you could hear poles being clunked in the background and then kept saying things like - he's over the yellow one - arrrrgh! If you're going to have someone like Stephen there, at least let him do sensible commentary.

Weezy

Visit site
As I said at the time, when Clare and Sue were chatting, I wonder if there was an issue with the *rights* and that was why it was delayed until it was - it happens and is why things like Hickstead are not on iPlayer.

billy2

Visit site
PLEASE don't mention Stephen Hadley! Doesn't he EVER stop referring to horses as 'absolute machines'? (They aren't - its part of their charm) and of course eventers don't jump 'real' showjumping courses - that phase serves to prove the horse's ability to recover after the XC, not, as in SJ, how deep you can bury your horse into the base of a jump...

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I think the coverage has been great and much better than I expected if I'm honest; they have also repeated the highlights of all sections a couple of times so working people have a chance to see it too, you can't get fairer than that I feel.
I certainly won't be complaining, I'll be thanking them in the hope of softening them up for Burghley and any future championships!
On a different note, was it only me that enjoyed the Mike and Ian show or am I a boring old fart that's easily pleased?

carys220

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
As I said at the time, when Clare and Sue were chatting, I wonder if there was an issue with the *rights* and that was why it was delayed until it was - it happens and is why things like Hickstead are not on iPlayer.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point Weezy, must have missed that in the thread as it was going so fast.
If that was the case then they will tell me in their reply to my complaint presumably so I'll keep you all updated, if you care!
smirk.gif
grin.gif

Allykat

Visit site
I honestly can not believe that some of you have complained
frown.gif
You have had 2 nights of live dressage coverage and one night of live XC coverage!!

So if after a few complaints the BBC decide to pull the plug on all equestrian events on TV we will know who is to blame....you should be ashamed!! We are become all to quick to point the finger in this country....Pathetic!

I recorded BBC1 (Prime time slot on prime channel....not digital!) from the time stated in my TV guide and I saw all the rounds I wanted to see, followed by the individual rounds. WELL DONE BBC!!

I also found the commentary highly amusing
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Good old Starky
laugh.gif

carys220

Visit site
I didn't complain about the Dressage and XC, just the beginning of the SJ.

As I said, I complained on here at the time and I don't think it's fair if I don't then complain officially.
grin.gif

I used to work for a company who welcomed CC and made positive changes based on it.

Linz75

Visit site
Hi,

I have my own rant but it concerns tv coverage....in Hong Kong!!! It has been an absolute disgrace, have seen a couple of clips & then it moves onto diving or weight lifting - no continuous coverage.

Apparently (& I have only read this from other disgruntled people here), the rights were sold to one of the big American stations & in HK only cable tv has coverage - though most people have satellite packages here! We have 2 terrestrial channels (1 English/1Cantonese commentary) both showing same things.

I went onto BBC Sport website to at least see a clip of XC only to find out that you can only watch the clips if you are in UK or Ireland, was sooo disapointed.

For those of you who might be thinking - why didn't she get tickets to watch live - thats another rant..!!

archoak

Visit site
And just to clarify as the title says 'coverage of eventing sjing', I have said nothing about dressage or xc coverage which I thought was excellent and stayed up overnight to watch. I ran round like a nutter yesterday so that I could watch the sjing at the time advertised and then had to miss it -so for me it was rubbish and that is my opinion.

skewbaldpony

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

As I said, I complained on here at the time and I don't think it's fair if I don't then complain officially.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely that's just a bit childish?
We were all anxious for the coverage to start, some of us made the effort to watch the live coverage on Eurovision, some didn't, but hey, after the event, surely it's obvious the sceduling team were just doing their job.

'Not fair' is such a telling phrase.

carys220

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely that's just a bit childish?
We were all anxious for the coverage to start, some of us made the effort to watch the live coverage on Eurovision, some didn't, but hey, after the event, surely it's obvious the sceduling team were just doing their job.

'Not fair' is such a telling phrase.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's the complete opposite!!!

If someone didn't like something you did that involved them, i.e. the way you worked, would you rather they told you or just kept moaning on to other people? Well personally I would rather they told me so I could make the necessary changes...now if that person was paying me(like when we pay our license fee) I would be obliged to listen to them.

There's one thing I can't stand and it's people who moan about stuff but don't actually do anything about it!

And why exactly is 'not fair' a telling phrase?

And BTW, I did watch it on Eurovision, but after turning on BBC1 when the SJ was scheduled to be on I expected to see it. FYI the scheduling was changed during the Badminton and the SJ was scheduled to be on earlier.

weevil

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
FYI the scheduling was changed during the Badminton and the SJ was scheduled to be on earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well that is what happens when you are showing live sport, especially at the olympics where so many sporting events are taking place at the same time.

SunshineTallulah

Visit site
I thought that when I had set my Sky + up to tape the BBC coverage of the XC that I would get all of the XC, well they blooming well cut it short to go to the swimming (fair enough I am a fan of that also) but I didnt get to see MK or SH go round.

Gutted.

flyingfeet

Visit site
You moaning moaning moaning people

We have had more coverage than ever before - my PVR has managed to record over 12 hours of equestrian coverage, some of which is repeats, but either way heck of a lot and I need to clear some off my 250 gb hard drive to make way for the dressage and show jumping.

Half your problems with coverage are the fact that no one figures out the technology. Freeview for BBCi beats sky, as I have both.

Poor old BEEB cannot make anyone happy, and for those of your pleased that the coverage has been on, suggest you send a comment to outweigh the moaning maltida technophobes

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

BBH

Visit site
I really loved the coverage I thought the presenters / commentators did a great job, I love the good humour and banter between them.

But the biggest thing for me was how well the eventers portrayed themselves on television, they came across as really well grounded, loyal team players and all of them had really interesting feedback and comments, not the monosyibillic (sp) lifeless interview attempts from some of the top SJ's ( am thinking yorkshire extraction here ) and this is not an anti yorkshire thing.

gloster_image

Visit site
I thought the coverage was absolutely superb. I watched it on BBC1 yesterday and the only round i didn't see that i wanted to was Niall Griffins. I saw all the Brit rounds, both the fredericks rounds, and all the important medal deciding rounds. Then they showed the entire individual showjumping, not to mention full live coverage of both the XC and the dressage. What more do you want? They missed the first 12riders out of how many? And then still managed to replay the most important ones.
Some people on this post appear to be incredibly well pathetic to be honest. Equestrianism isn't the only sport at the olympics you know and they have HUGELY improved the coverage compared to what we got at athens and yet people are STILL complaining - one of these days they won't show any of it if you lot keep complaining when they have done what is truly an outstanding thing.

gloster_image

Visit site
SunshineTallulah if you had actually had the patience to watch through the swimming (or seeing as you recorded it fastforward through it) you would notice that they went back to the XC for a further 45minutes and although Sharon's round was replayed they showed Mary's round live.

SunshineTallulah

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
SunshineTallulah if you had actually had the patience to watch through the swimming (or seeing as you recorded it fastforward through it) you would notice that they went back to the XC for a further 45minutes and although Sharon's round was replayed they showed Mary's round live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I obv must have missed that and skipped through it. I thought that perhaps the presenter may have said we'll come back to it or something.

I think I still have it saved so shall watch it later.

Thank you for the kind words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not.