Ruddy horses ?

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Sometimes I wonder why we have them when they just seem to be sent to try us!

Was all prepared to put Henry’s ad up this weekend, and tentatively start looking for my new one. sad but exciting

Not to be. The idiot has gone lame. I could cry.

Hind leg, only really noticeable in trot, worse on the hard with the leg on the inside. Probably about 3-4/5 depending how tight the circle is. Only about 1.5/5 on the lunge in the school. YO says she thought he’d looked a bit stiff/pottery coming out of the stable the last few days. No heat/swelling anywhere. Blocks relatively convincingly to his foot, but not 100%.

Praying it’s either a bruise or an abscess brewing, or he’s tweaked something minor in the field...

Going to see if the farrier can come out this weekend to whip the shoe off and have a look, just waiting for him to text me back. If not either he will come next week or I’ll take the shoe off at some point and have a look myself. I lose all rational sense when the animals are my own, and too much knowledge is definitely not helping the worry!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
They pick their moments! How long ago was he shod, those would be good symptoms for a nail bind and it usually takes a few days to brew? Fingers crossed for an abscess if not.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
They pick their moments! How long ago was he shod, those would be good symptoms for a nail bind and it usually takes a few days to brew? Fingers crossed for an abscess if not.
I thought that too but I don’t think he was shod that recently. YO sorts that out but my guess would be he was last done about 2-3 weeks ago, which I’d imagine is too long for nail bind?

Melandmary

Visit site
My feelings exactly at the moment after being alerted by the cameras that lami boxrest pony is running up and down the drive and eating the lawn grass when we are an hours drive away ?. There was some frantic ringing around for someone I know who could jump the gate and put her back in the stable till I got back. My nerves are shot to s%&t with her as it is. Desperately hoping she is not going to get lami again now after stuffing her face for 20 mins. I think she has decided boxrest time should be over. Sometimes I wish I didn't have all the worry that comes with having them. And the more you have, the more to worry about ?

SEL

Visit site
Ruddy horses indeed. After this morning's deluge the paddock is slippery so of course handbrake turns and silly squealy stuff was going on at tea time. I recommend wine.

Very much hope Henry is a quick fix. You must have mentioned that for sale advert too loudly around him ?

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Ruddy horses indeed. After this morning's deluge the paddock is slippery so of course handbrake turns and silly squealy stuff was going on at tea time. I recommend wine.

Very much hope Henry is a quick fix. You must have mentioned that for sale advert too loudly around him ?
Oh blimey. They are sent to try us aren’t they?! He definitely heard me mention the advert and thought he didn’t fancy that ? no wine for me, sadly I’m on call all weekend, so I’m going for chocolate instead ?

Farrier coming Monday or Tuesday. I’ve taken his shoe off and had a bit of a pare back but nothing obvious, no response to hoof testers either. Hot rubbed with Epsom salts and put a poultice on anyway as won’t hurt. Seemed a bit more comfortable trotting up with the poultice on which helps back up the theory it’s an abscess or stone bruise ??

If farrier can’t find anything and he’s no better by the end of the week will get my friend to come over and help me xray him one evening this week or next weekend...

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
My feelings exactly at the moment after being alerted by the cameras that lami boxrest pony is running up and down the drive and eating the lawn grass when we are an hours drive away ?. There was some frantic ringing around for someone I know who could jump the gate and put her back in the stable till I got back. My nerves are shot to s%&t with her as it is. Desperately hoping she is not going to get lami again now after stuffing her face for 20 mins. I think she has decided boxrest time should be over. Sometimes I wish I didn't have all the worry that comes with having them. And the more you have, the more to worry about ?
Fingers crossed she’ll be ok!

racebuddy

Visit site
Oh know bad timing hopefully something and nothing the wheather so dry and wet all the time , hope ur weekend on call is ok xx

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Update to this: to add to the stress of the situation he’s now decided to get some weird swelling/cellulitis from the nerve blocks :rolleyes: so now he’s lamer than he was originally and doesn’t want to weight bear much at all, just resting it all the time :(

on the plus side, xrayed him this evening and all completely normal. No pedal bone fractures, arthritis, navicular etc. No evidence of an abscess either, but they don’t 100% show on .

farrier still coming tomorrow, will get him to look too. If he doesn’t think an abscess either we’ll put the shoe back on and wait and see what he looks like after a few days of bute, antibiotics and field rest.

horses, who’d have them :rolleyes:

dixie

Visit site
Oh no! This is what happened to me recently only in between the viewing and vetting. Luckily buyer waited and it turned out to be a bruise but it took 4 weeks to clear up. They are so frustrating sometimes ?

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I’m keeping fingers and toes crossed it’s just a bruise and that’s why we can’t see anything. Worst case scenario and he’s no better once swelling is gone, he’ll go for an MRI. He’s insured, so just want to get him right!

The cellulitis is unlucky and frustrating, but he can be prone to it. I think that’s all it is, since there was no swelling in the leg when he first went lame, and my colleague who helped me X-ray him tonight agrees. We’ll see how he goes but hopefully it’ll improve soon so we can reassess the original lameness...