Rude Road Riders!

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
While pootling about through my neck of the woods I have come to notice that there are a great many Rude Road Riders!!
Yesterday was a prime example with riders on route to a show.
Two riders, riding two abreast (I know its a safer option, hell I've done it myself in the past) failed to even break in their conversation to acknowledge that there were even cars around them!!
These riders were not young kids, but adults who really should have known better.

I've passed people who are holding the buckle of their reins and chatting on the phone! I've seen people eating while riding.

I'm not a killjoy-I like a good hack as much as the next person but really folks is it too much to ask that you just wave a hand to thank the car that has slowed down???

Too many accidents are occurring nowadays, I was involved in a near miss myself. How many of these are because the driver thinks 'feck them'??

I make sure I thank EVERY driver, ok its a ball ache on the busy roads but if it means that the next time a driver see's a horse they slow down then its bloody well worth it!
It could be my child that is avoided because the driver respects us horse riders.....it could also be one of the Rude Road Riders that is saved from being scraped up off the road because I thanked the driver.

Come on guys, help us all by just thanking the drivers!!

welshcobmad

Visit site
I thank every driver automatically even though as said on a busy road it can be a pain & always wear my high viz. But also see a lot as you've mentioned, on phone, smoking, chatting, in the middle if road, refusing to pull in, don't say thanks. And people wonder why drivers don't slow don't!!!

mystiandsunny

Visit site
I've tried thanking every driver on busy roads, when I can't take a hand off the reins. My head is killing me right now from all that nodding. I think I want a Hi Viz with 'thank you for slowing down' written on it!!

On the other hand, a local horse owner drove right up the backside of my horse today, when we'd turned round to trot back to the passing place for her on a narrow road. My youngster freaked out and nearly slipped over. Thanks, mate!

carolinewheatley

Visit site
I'm with you on that one, it annoys me silly when I pass riders that don't thank me for slowing down. I thank every driver regardless and have even found myself thanking cars as I pass them on my drive home from the yard!!

BeBopTalulah

Visit site
I totally agree with you. Although, sometimes I think it's not always safe to take your hands off of the reins to wave. But a big smile and a nod/acknowledgement costs nothing. As well as that, if I were approaching the brow of a hill and had the vantage point, I would wave drivers on who couldn't see. That's just another simple act of courtesay. It helps drivers to appreciate that you care about other road users too.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I always thanks drivers. Yesterday when I was riding out for the first time ever on my own with my spooky gelding, I found myself thanking parked cars... :rolleyes:

Thanks for that, snorted with laughter :D

I agree, for drivers who are genuinely considerate, it's apalling not to acknowledge them. I do tend to ignore those who drive dangerously, e.g. squeezing past while my horse is spooking into them (very clever, not sure who's thicker - driver or horse!), but people who are considerate get a wave, and people who go "above and beyond" get my cheeriest grin, a wave, a shout of thanks, I've even been known to bow at them :eek: Especially if I'm on one of the twit-ponies and can't get my hand off the reins!

JFTDWS

Visit site
As well as that, if I were approaching the brow of a hill and had the vantage point, I would wave drivers on who couldn't see. That's just another simple act of courtesay. It helps drivers to appreciate that you care about other road users too.

See that fills me with rage. I won't go if I can't see, because it's my license / neck on the line if it goes wrong, not the person waving me past. I have no way of knowing if their judgement is sound or not... I'm sure some people do it out of courtesy, as you do, but it can look very arrogant from the driver's perspective - being waved on...

BeBopTalulah

Visit site
See that fills me with rage. I won't go if I can't see, because it's my license / neck on the line if it goes wrong, not the person waving me past. I have no way of knowing if their judgement is sound or not... I'm sure some people do it out of courtesy, as you do, but it can look very arrogant from the driver's perspective - being waved on...

Why would I wave someone on if I wasn't sure it was safe? I'm a driver myself, and I have no problem being waved on if the rider is a hundred yards ahead and can see what's coming. I've always been thanked for that.

Mrs B

Visit site
While pootling about through my neck of the woods I have come to notice that there are a great many Rude Road Riders!!
Yesterday was a prime example with riders on route to a show.
Two riders, riding two abreast (I know its a safer option, hell I've done it myself in the past) failed to even break in their conversation to acknowledge that there were even cars around them!!
These riders were not young kids, but adults who really should have known better.

I've passed people who are holding the buckle of their reins and chatting on the phone! I've seen people eating while riding.

I'm not a killjoy-I like a good hack as much as the next person but really folks is it too much to ask that you just wave a hand to thank the car that has slowed down???

Too many accidents are occurring nowadays, I was involved in a near miss myself. How many of these are because the driver thinks 'feck them'??

I make sure I thank EVERY driver, ok its a ball ache on the busy roads but if it means that the next time a driver see's a horse they slow down then its bloody well worth it!
It could be my child that is avoided because the driver respects us horse riders.....it could also be one of the Rude Road Riders that is saved from being scraped up off the road because I thanked the driver.

Come on guys, help us all by just thanking the drivers!!

This ^^^ too many times! Want to stop the car, run back, grab their horse by the bridle and say 'OI!'

hadfos

Visit site
Sadly Scunthorpe and the surrounding villages is full of rude riders,I can count on one hand the amount of times a rider has said thankyou to me for slowing down!!I will always wave a driver on around a blind bend when I can see,same as over a hill,ALWAYS either wave,nod or smile a thankyou,manners cost nothing...clearly these people need re educating!!

minkymoo

Visit site
Thanks for that, snorted with laughter :D

I agree, for drivers who are genuinely considerate, it's apalling not to acknowledge them. I do tend to ignore those who drive dangerously, e.g. squeezing past while my horse is spooking into them (very clever, not sure who's thicker - driver or horse!), but people who are considerate get a wave, and people who go "above and beyond" get my cheeriest grin, a wave, a shout of thanks, I've even been known to bow at them :eek: Especially if I'm on one of the twit-ponies and can't get my hand off the reins!

Ha ha! I do this! Levels of thanks!

Some of the really nice ones even get a wink! :D

Riders need to remember it is all about PR.

monkeybum13

Visit site
I agree, some riders are just far too rude on the road.

How can we expect every single driver to pass us slowly and wide if only a few riders thank drivers, the whole riding population should.

Mince Pie

Visit site
I'm awful, as a driver if I see a rude rider I have been known to shout a really sarcastic 'you're welcome' at them! :eek:
As a rider I always thank drivers, it only takes a second and courtesy costs nothing.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have taken to lowering my car window and yelling 'Thank you!' to riders who have just ignored me.
The ones who really riled me were riding through a village I go through on my way home from work, not a rhizome of hi-viz between the 3 of them, 2 of them riding abreast. One took her hand off the reins to wave to an acquaintance at the other side of the road. The horse took absolutely no notice of the fact that rider only had one hand on the reins. A few seconds later, I passed wide and slow, with no acknowledgement whatsoever.
Ignoramuses!

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
Thats it! Rider PR!

I have been known to wave like a loon at the children in the back of the car that slowed down. I've tipped a wink to the crumblies in their one owner from new metro's and triumphs. I practically hugged Hells Angels for not only stopping the traffic but giving some boy racer a right lecture on the rules of the road and respecting 'the young lady and her horse'......old goat on a nag would have been acceptable too.

Bubs is now trained to make eye contact with the driver and give a gummy grin while I raise my hand to thank them or if their window is open shout a thank you while Jazz Jogs Joyfully dragging me down the road! I find that the sight of me being dragged by a 12.2 with a child who looks like she was drawn by Thelwell that very morning raises a smile with most motorists and they can't help but smile back!

Brontie

Visit site
I wont wave someone on, because if I felt it was safe and it wasn't and the person had a crash i'ld feel awful and probably some of the blame would be blamed on me. I'll also admit, I only thank those that slow down / pass widely. I wont thank someone for almost running me over.