Rude Youngster - ideas?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
There is an 18 month old pony in Max's field. He was bought by non horsey parents as a foal for their teenage daughter. He was gelded a month ago. He is a thug! Several of the children with geldings in that field won't get their own ponies in now as he barges them out of the way knocking them over. Katie was sent flying the other day as he came barreling down the hill to get to the gate. He also barges through the gate. So now whenever anyone wants to retrieve their pony they need to go in pairs - one to halter him and hold him while the other removes the pony. The girl is very defensive about him saying he's fine or 'oh he wouldn't do that'. She gets terribly upset when other horses reprimand him etc. He's not bullied just disciplined from time to time by the herd. YO is aware but at the moment not doing anything about it. All the fields are very large with lots of horses in each and issues arise from time to time with all the fields when one or other horse is overly boisterous or circles people as they are leading in etc. So I think this sort of thing is just tolerated but with this pony it is persistent and worsening. Are there some simple approaches we can take when going into the field. He seems to have no concept of being driven out of my space so my usual tack of just swinging a rope at any horse who gets too close to me when I am leading my own has no effect on him. Or simple ways to teach him this is not ok that the girl could be helped to use. She is there every day and spends plenty of time with him. He's not aggressive. Just overly friendly with zero boundaries.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Not a lot you can do that won't either freak out the owners or the other horses I'm afraid. If it was me (well, it wouldn't be because the pony wouldn't have got like that in the first place), I'd take a lunge whip down and keep him away from me until I approached him. Some very rapid basic manners need to be installed, pronto, but unfortunately that's not your job to do.

Shay

Visit site
Agree with Cortez - on both points. Take a lunge whip with you to ensure he can keep his distance. Obviously no-one wants anything to go wrong - but it might be worth asking YO to check owner has sufficient 3rdP insurance. As YO has care & control any claim might also fall to them as they know about the issue but have not addressed it.

be positive

Visit site
Taking a lunge whip may help but does not solve the issue for the other children and may if used incorrectly make matters worse, it is likely he will have no respect for the whip and either ignore that as he does a rope or it will set off the others who do know what it is, the YO really needs to address this before there is an accident.
I would set up a coral area by the gate with electric fence and a decent battery so he cannot get to it at any time unless being brought in and would spend an hour or two helping the young owner with her handling of him, she needs to learn how to teach him about respect, space, moving away from pressure and probably has no idea what to do other than love him which is serving no purpose with a confident ignorant young pony who is still finding his way having just been cut, but I do realise not all YOs will be inclined to resolve problems unless really pushed.
I would also possibly find another field where he can be out with a couple of bigger horses and adult owners who may of an issue or put him out with mine so I was the only person involved with dealing with him.

RachaelJC

Visit site
I would push the YO to sort this. Has he/she seen this happening or experiencing it first hand? It will affect her bottom line finances and reputation if it's left to get any more out of hand.

I second be positive's advice about helping the teenage owner. If they've never had a youngsters before then all help should be welcomed.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would expect the YO to sort this out pdq and tbh I would think that if a multiple horse-owning livery was unhappy, their rent would be more important than that of a single horse-bought-on-a-whim owner.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Agree with others who've said that this is the YO's responsibility, to sort this.

She needs to take control of this situation and firmly tell this unruly youngster's owners that the situation cannot and must not continue.

FFS other people MUST be free to get their horses out of the field without fear of being trampled!

This situation needs taking in hand NOW.

Why oh why do people buy youngsters and then spoil them? Unfortunately unless this pony is sorted out and taught some groundrules very soon, it is going to be totally unmanageable; the owners will then quickly lose interest (if they haven't already) and want to sell it on cheap, and the pony (not its fault) will thus get passed down the line from market to meat man........ happens all too often.

Regrettably I fear someone is going to get hurt very soon; no good then YO hiding her head in the sand as IF she's been told and is obviously aware of the problem, then her PL insurance might well ask a good many questions. She needs to sort this!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Thanks. I agree with you all that this is something I can't address really. I'll speak to the yard owner again. The girl is lovely and very well meaning. I am just not sure why the family bought her a foal in the first place! I've never met the parents. The girl manages him totally independently and seems to have no clue that a serious problem is developing or that he needs educating.

zaminda

Visit site
I know someone who had her horse in a field with group turnout. When someone was injured they tried sueing her as she was the only one with liability insurance. I would be finding out if she is suitably insured as it sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
It's a very short step from boisterous to aggressive so I hope you get it sorted.

SpringArising

Visit site
I wouldn't use a lunge whip, it's too long and fiddly. I'd take in a schooling whip and as soon as he charged and got close enough I'd crack him across the chest... you'd probably only need to do it once. I'd also definitely wear a hat incase he spins on his heels and tries to pop you one.

Nasicus

Visit site
I'm sure some of you have smartphones, I suggest having someone record proceedings each time you go in, to prove that the youngster is becoming a danger to people.
Absolutely cannot abide rude behaviour like that, the odd jovial moment of stupidity is one thing, behaviour like you've described is not on, and if the owner isn't taking responsibility, then the yard owner damn well should be for the safety of the other liveries. It certainly won't be a good thing once he's grown up and filled out and is barging his way through people and gates.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Ditto the others, the YO needs to sort this out. Perhaps have another word and say if she continues to ignore the problem and your children get hurt by this Horse you will be holding her personally responsible.

I had the same issue with a 16.2 WB gelding my mare used to be in with. His owner didn't seem bothered by it and in the end I ended up taking a schooling whip in with me each time. Horse did eventually get the message. However a bit different with children involved and the Horse actually knocking them down.

SEL

Visit site
I remember when I first took on my mare at 4 - she was a freebie due to dangerous behaviour - & wondering how on earth she'd been allowed to get that bad. A situation similar to yours I think!

I had to keep her out of the main herd for the safety of other people for a long time. My YO was insistent on it from a safety perspective but she'd already kicked 3 people and the YO had to hurdle a fence to get out of her way when they first met.....

Even now I'm cautious about who handles her. She's 95% angelic and 5% demon!

Clodagh

Visit site
If you take a whip into a field of horses are you not likely to cause a stampede?
I cannot imagine any YO risking children getting injured, even if they don't care about the individual child they might care about the insurance premiums?
I would stress to both YO and owner that their insurance needs to be up to date, as has been said. Can't all of you in the field stand together to make the point that it is unacceptable?

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
I agree there isn't anything you can do about the pony, so I would focus on yours. Ask the YO if your pony can move to a different field. Explain how worried you are for the safety of your child and cannot knowingly put her in danger, you pay livery and expect easy, safe access to your pony. If everyone in the field asks for similar for their own horses then the YO will have to sort something for the difficult one.