Rug and Girth for standardbred in poor condition

Cobbytype

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a well fitting turnout rug for a standarbred? He's in poor condition, so is ultra slim at the moment.

Also, I'll be needing a new girth and want something that won't rub him whilst he's so slim. I've always used leather Atherstone girths, but times have changed since I last bought tack.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Why not wait until he puts some weight on before riding him.

agree get weight on him before you start riding a saddle and girth will not be comfortable if he has bones sticking out.

rugs I would just get one that fits for now but as he gains weight it may not fit as well, the shires rugs are a good fit for the narrower horse and not too expensive.

Last edited:

Cobbytype

Visit site
He's had time off and has put weight on the past month, but he also needs to build a little muscle too. I've nothing set in concrete, but my intention is to gently exercise him in walk for a few weeks, then give him the winter off.

Palindrome

Visit site
Rambo/rhino wug fits well on my high withered horse, particularly the angled chest clips at the front remove pressure from the wither.

JJS

Visit site
Shires rugs have fit my Thoroughbred, my Welsh B, and my brick outhouse TBx, so they seem to be a safe and economical bet for most horses. Whether they fit my new cob remains to be seen!

Michen

Visit site
Cheapy girth as you might need a new one as he fills out/if you have to have a different saddle fitted etc with a nice fluffy le meiux girth sleeve!!!

Cobbytype

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'd be interested to hear the general consensus as to whether he should be exercised or not (see pic below). I want to do what's best for both of us and had hoped to start off with some gentle walking, probably every other day for 15 - 20 mins. I'm not riding fit so a steady approach would be best for me also. I'm fairly limited for long reining - there's a farm track which is around 400m long, other than that it's the roads out the village which have a 60mph speed limit.

attachment.php

be positive

Visit site
In that photo he looks like a weak two year old so to me I would probably treat him like one and just do work on long reins, a couple of goes round the track and his fields will be enough to get him going , if he is at all sore through his back sitting on him while he is so weak will do more harm than good, a few weeks of gentle exercise and good grass should make all the difference.

I am pleased you have found the right one for you, it seems to have been a long journey.

Cobbytype

Visit site
In that photo he looks like a weak two year old so to me I would probably treat him like one and just do work on long reins, a couple of goes round the track and his fields will be enough to get him going , if he is at all sore through his back sitting on him while he is so weak will do more harm than good, a few weeks of gentle exercise and good grass should make all the difference.

I am pleased you have found the right one for you, it seems to have been a long journey.

Oh thank you bp, that's really kind.

He's 5 according to passport, but yes he looks babyish. I'm hoping he's the right one, but I haven't paid a lot for him so it's not the end of the world if he's too much for me to cope with when he gets his mojo back. I'm not wanting to turn him away for too long as I just don't have any facilities or skills to go right back to the beginning. If it looks like his road to recovery is going to be a long one I'll have to put him in livery, but would like him to have some time in my paddock to chill. It's peaceful with good grazing and the donkeys will keep him company.

I decided to look at something different. Years ago my sister had a pacer and he was a very good hack and when I saw this boy advertised I thought he was worth a look. He's been a trotter and apparently had a reasonably good start in life, but it's all gone downhill from there and he's been passed around the travellers a bit. He's spent time on a tether and came to the dealer as more or less a bogof when she bought a cob. He hasn't done well living in a herd on the yard's big paddock as the other horses bully him, so he's been put in his own small area next to them. He never lifts his head up from scoffing, so if his appetite is anything to go by he's a trooper.

Don't think it's really sunk in yet and I found myself wide awake at 4am worrying about what I'd done. Hopefully there will be a happy ending and a nice little horse at the end of the horrid journey we've both had the past couple of years.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
If it were me I would find a good private schooling yard, where he can be given lots of fresh air and time, just stabled at night, and they can be asked to work away quietly for six weeks, such places should be happy to take him as he needs so little work, he can be fitted around the others. If you don't have the right facilities it is going to be a much more difficult transition.
They will have rugs, so no need to worry about that immediately. He might be fine without one for a few weeks, only when he needs clipped are rugs essential as he is not going to be doing much till the spring, a lightweight will be fine.
Agree with letting him settle in for six weeks at home, he may be fine with no rugs. I assume donks are wormed.

Last edited:

Cobbytype

Visit site
Is his passport a STAGBI passport or just a generic one? (I always pop up when someone mentions Standardbred)

My husband looked at his passport whilst I was riding another horse, so not sure. I'll let you know Sunday when he arrives. The dealer spoke about his breeding but tbh I'd gone into space cadet mode as I was busy watching the horse.

Last edited:

Cobbytype

Visit site
If it were me I would find a good private schooling yard, where he can be given lots of fresh air and time, just stabled at night, and they can be asked to work away quietly for six weeks, such places should be happy to take him as he needs so little work, he can be fitted around the others. If you don't have the right facilities it is going to be a much more difficult transition.
They will have rugs, so no need to worry about that immediately. He might be fine without one for a few weeks, only when he needs clipped are rugs essential as he is not going to be doing much till the spring, a lightweight will be fine.
Agree with letting him settle in for six weeks at home, he may be fine with no rugs. I assume donks are wormed.

Oh yes donks are wormed and new boy will have a worm count - I'm told he was wormed with Pramox a month ago.

Your comments are pretty much my feelings too. There's a nice yard with loads of off road hacking that has a good reputation but it's a 40 minute drive away. I think I'll make arrangements to go and have a look with a view to him going there late winter for a couple of months.

I have a 40ft field shelter on my land which is divided into 3 bays, so there's plenty of shelter for donks and the new horse. Two of the shelter bays are gated so I can keep the equines separated if the weather turns and it looks like there might be personality clashes. I've a lovely stable at home too, so he can come up here at night if it looks like he'll settle away from the donks, but initially I want him to be out 24/7 with grazing and hay.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
No advise to add, but wanted to wish you all the best with him and hope you have a long and good life together. I've recently taken the plunge back in (bought a three year old a few months ago), which is after a few yuck years, so hopefully all will be grand.

Look forward to reading your updates.

Cobbytype

Visit site
No advise to add, but wanted to wish you all the best with him and hope you have a long and good life together. I've recently taken the plunge back in (bought a three year old a few months ago), which is after a few yuck years, so hopefully all will be grand.

Look forward to reading your updates.

Thank you Mrs M and all the best with your new horse :)

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
My husband looked at his passport whilst I was riding another horse, so not sure. I'll let you know Sunday when he arrives. The dealer spoke about his breeding but tbh I'd gone into space cadet mode as I was busy watching the horse.

Keep me posted. I'm on the Board of Directors for STAGBI and like to provide owners of retired racehorses with as much pedigree and racing info as possible. I've managed to connect breeders/previous owners with current owners and plenty of photos have been traded as well! Plus I'm nosey and I like to know who has what horse and see if I personally knew the horse myself!

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
Oh a Standie, love love love them, I'm on my second.
I also have mules, which are equally narrow through the shoulders, and I will only use Horseware rugs now, they fit perfectly. Either the Amigos, or Rhino/Rambo if you're feeling rich.

My Standies have reliably informed me (they are an expressive breed) that neoprene girths are the best :)

Last edited:

Cobbytype

Visit site
Keep me posted. I'm on the Board of Directors for STAGBI and like to provide owners of retired racehorses with as much pedigree and racing info as possible. I've managed to connect breeders/previous owners with current owners and plenty of photos have been traded as well! Plus I'm nosey and I like to know who has what horse and see if I personally knew the horse myself!

Will do.

I know just a little about standarbreds from the time my sister had a pacer many years ago. I'd bought a young cob who had napped and bolted with me a few (well actually many) times and I'd lost confidence hacking. I was at the point of giving up riding when I took Pacey for a hack - I took one look at him and thought 'crikey, if I can't cope with a cob, what chance will I have with him'. But I gave it a go and he was absolutely brilliant, albeit uncomfortable because he was narrow and didn't bend and paced between transitions. I hacked him out quite a bit and he was worth his weight in gold. Unfortunately he was a very aggressive horse to handle and was dangerous in the paddock and stable, so my sister sold him to a long distance adult rider. The horse I have bought seems very sweet and despite his rough times, he still seems to place faith in people.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Oh a Standie, love love love them, I'm on my second.
I also have mules, which are equally narrow through the shoulders, and I will only use Horseware rugs now, they fit perfectly. Either the Amigos, or Rhino/Rambo if you're feeling rich.

My Standies have reliably informed me (they are an expressive breed) that neoprene girths are the best :)

Glad to hear there's a small but perfectly formed group of Standardbred fans... I do seem to be in a minority around here, but it was the same 20 odd years ago when, horror of horrors, I bought a coloured cob, so I'm used to being the one who hasn't got a 'proper horse'.

Love mules too... I shall tell my donks that there are others out there who like big ears.

Thanks for the advice re neoprene :)

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Neoprene or fluff on the girth - it's what they're used to if you look at harness :)
If you have a leather girth that will fit him when you do start riding you could wrap it in cling film, random I know but it does stop rubbing :)
Good luck with him, can't beat a good standie.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Neoprene or fluff on the girth - it's what they're used to if you look at harness :)
If you have a leather girth that will fit him when you do start riding you could wrap it in cling film, random I know but it does stop rubbing :)
Good luck with him, can't beat a good standie.

Thank you for the good wishes :) He'll have a new girth so I'll look at getting a neoprene one I think. He's coming with a saddle but I'll be looking at buying a good second hand one when his shape improves. I tried him in an Ideal event saddle which was very nice.

Cobbytype

Visit site
The little guy arrived at tea time. As it was late in the day he's gone straight into my stable for the night - a very big ask as the stable isn't near my field. He's settled straight in and hasn't stopped scoffing hay since he arrived.

He looks thinner than I remember and he's not in great shape. His bridle path's scabby - possibly from lice but I'll have a look in the daylight. He has lots of scars. He needs a rest, a long rest. I doubt he'll be worked this year unless he surprises me and blossoms.

His passport is a replacement so doesn't shed much light apart from the previous owner who is from Bishop Aukland.

His temperament is outstanding considering he's in a strange stable with no other equines nearby; just so relaxed and at ease and contented. Thankfully a kind neighbour gave me 4 rugs yesterday which belonged to her late tb and the Amigo stable rug fits him well. Wouldn't have been the end of the world for him to be naked in the stable tonight, but as he's so thin I think he needs a bit of comfort. I've ordered him an Amigo turnout rug but there's a 7 day delivery on it. The stable faces my house and he keeps looking in as though to say "this is great, thanks". And he keeps checking his water bucket, just to make sure there's still water in it (he's got through 3 gallons already).

He needs a name as his passport name is the same as my sister's pony who died following a rta. I quite like 'Benson' or maybe 'Job' (the biblical pronunciation not gainful employment).

Poor little ******... I hope he makes it and that he's 'just' been neglected rather something more sinister going on.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Cobbytype

Visit site
Aw the wee soul. Don't worry, with good food and lots of tlc he will thrive.
Have you thought about worming?

I'm in a dilemma with the worming!

The dealer I bought him from promised me that he has been wormed recently with Pramox. I've ordered a worm count kit which should be here in the next day or two to see where we're at. But I was so tempted to worm him with ivemectin this evening as my two donks have just been wormed, but I don't want to stress his system if he has already been wormed so recently. I'd planned on doing all 3 equines for tapeworm in a few weeks time. My late horse reacted badly to Pramox and I'd never used a combination moxidectin/tapeworm wormer again, so worm separately.

He's going on a separate piece of grazing to the donks, so there's no immediate danger to them.

Regandal

Visit site
Sounds like a good plan. I think that the 5 day wormer is more gentle, but no point in doing it if he doesn't need it.
Good luck with him, he looks sweet.