Rug and Girth for standardbred in poor condition

Cobbytype

Visit site
Love this thread xx

Amymay, I am determined to make something of this little hat rack of a horse.

I'd set out (over a year ago) with the intention of buying a 'made horse' - something chunky, a well schooled cob in its prime and a good looking one at that. Quite a few viewings later it became apparent that my budget wasn't generous enough and I faced the prospect of saving money over winter and into spring next year. I'm not getting any younger and didn't really want to wait that long. My riding ability isn't what it was and I've lost most of my riding fitness, put weight on and just thought that going into next year horseless would probably see the end of me ever riding again, because sensible things get in the way and time moves on.

For some godforsaken reason I saw Job advertised on FB and thought 'poor s0d'. My husband looked at me like I'd lost the plot when I showed him the FB ad and said "Why on earth are you looking at that horse, you're looking for a nice cob?" "Oh yes I know, the dealer has a few nice cobs and I just thought he'd be worth looking at too whilst I'm there" I replied/sort of lied.

He (Job) was too thin to ride but I sat on him nevertheless and felt awful for doing so. "I like him" I said to my husband. "What did she just say!!!?" my husband said to the dealer. I took my husband to one side and said "This horse has no hidden agenda and he's sweet... all the other horses I've tried have been sour and cynical and switched off, this one is different, he's trying even though he's unwell, weak and thin. Look, it's a few hundred quid, if he dies on me he'll die well cared for and I'll have given him a chance and even if he's not for me, I'll make him well and find him someone to cherish him" Husband raised his eyebrows even more when I said "It's pointless having him vetted, you and I both know he's in poor shape and I don't need a vet to tell me the obvious". Husband sighed.

You know what we women are like when we NEED to prove our husbands are wrong... I am determined to make something of this little horse ;-)

debsflo

Visit site
Glad to hear things are going well for you and job. I have a friend who does Equine touch which is a really nice gentle bodywork .. most horses seem to like it. Pm me if interested and welcome to watch a session when my horse has her next treatment. .

Regandal

Visit site
Nice to see him coming on. He looks sweet!
I have a little ISH who has a sensitive side. He is very whip shy, it makes you wonder. It would be easy to bully him into things, the most he can tolerate without shaking is a low growl. Shouting sends him into a panic.
Your wee boy will do just fine!

gothdolly

Visit site
Ooh Bilbo loves Equine Touch! I did the stage one course some years ago. I think the breed are basically honest and genuine. Mine was ridden in a saddle that blatantly did not fit and was still trying really hard. I just knew he was a good sort. I was also looking for a steady ready made cob, following the death of my beloved horse Domino, I don't quite know how I stumbled across Bilbo,'s advert and ended up with a 5 year old standardbred instead but I'm very glad I did.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Nice to see him coming on. He looks sweet!
I have a little ISH who has a sensitive side. He is very whip shy, it makes you wonder. It would be easy to bully him into things, the most he can tolerate without shaking is a low growl. Shouting sends him into a panic.
Your wee boy will do just fine!

My big strapping maxi cob was like that and I owned him from being a foal so know nothing really bad ever happened to him - he was just a sensitive soul who threw the towel in if anyone was rough with him.

I'm hoping Job will be fine; he's a good boy with a good heart.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Ooh Bilbo loves Equine Touch! I did the stage one course some years ago. I think the breed are basically honest and genuine. Mine was ridden in a saddle that blatantly did not fit and was still trying really hard. I just knew he was a good sort. I was also looking for a steady ready made cob, following the death of my beloved horse Domino, I don't quite know how I stumbled across Bilbo,'s advert and ended up with a 5 year old standardbred instead but I'm very glad I did.

It became all too apparent with me that I was searching for another Jasper when I was looking at cobs and I was never going to be able to find him again, so needed to have a re-think about what to do: give up riding or broaden my search. I'd have never looked at a Standardbred were it not for my sister's pacer; in fact were it not for him I doubt I'd have even heard of the breed and even if I had I'd have thought they weren't for me what with them being primarily bred for racing. Must admit, when I saw Job bombing around the paddock bucking vertically yesterday I did wonder about my sanity :)

Cobbytype

Visit site
Glad to hear things are going well for you and job. I have a friend who does Equine touch which is a really nice gentle bodywork .. most horses seem to like it. Pm me if interested and welcome to watch a session when my horse has her next treatment. .

Thank you. So far so good. I'll bear the Equine Touch in mind... haven't heard of it previously tbh.

Cobbytype

Visit site
I am in mortal danger of becoming that most hideous of creatures... a Standardbred bore! What a sweet little horse Job is turning out to be, the little monkey is getting all four feet comfortably under the table by being charming and sociable.

attachment.php

I took him for a walk this morning which he loves; he'd happily spend all day pottering around grazing in hand. Once back at the paddock he lost sight of me and thought I was going for a walk again - I heard a clatter of hooves and he appeared like lightening from around the field shelter and was most disappointed to see me with a wheel barrow and fork rather than his head collar. He's more like a Labrador than a horse :)

I've spent ages brushing him today in an attempt to get rid of all the scurf but without much success (btw I'd never leave Job with a haynet tied so low, it was there to occupy him whilst I groomed and was removed once I'd finished). He likes the attention when groomed and is very relaxed being handled most of the time. He can still be difficult to catch but if I can't be bothered with the walking game, I just drape the lead rope over his neck and he admits defeat - it seems that it is the head collar he objects to. He still has the scabby bumps along his bridlepath and to one side of his poll, so maybe the head collar hurts him?

I'm tentatively hopeful that I have found the right person to bring him back into work early next year. If it works out he will be going to the yard in a few weeks. I'd love to keep him at mine until New Year, but with only one stable at home it's not currently possible as I will need to bring the donkeys home at night soon due to them needing dry conditions for their feet. Having come this far I will find it very difficult to hand him over to someone else, but feel it's for the best as there will be proper training facilities and other horses for him to hack out with. The yard is just a stone's throw away so he will be on home ground when hacking. He met with the trainer a few days back and was very nervous - it was obvious he thought I was selling him, as he stood tucked up with his head hanging low whilst he was being looked over.

Cobbytype

Visit site
He really is starting to look fabulous.

Thank you amymay :) Today is the first day that I thought he looked handsome rather than peculiar when he looked at me. He's starting to lose the worried, tight lipped and bulging eyes expression, which gave him a sinister/mean sort of appearance.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
If you walk with him and the trainer to his stable, and leave him with a very well worn item of your clothing, he will work out that you have not abandoned him, and no doubt you will visit him every day.

Cobbytype

Visit site
If you walk with him and the trainer to his stable, and leave him with a very well worn item of your clothing, he will work out that you have not abandoned him, and no doubt you will visit him every day.

I can walk him from the paddock to the new yard so at least he will know where he is and that he's not far from home. I think he's going to be turned away for a few weeks at the new yard - they have fields with shelters, so he can settle in and continue his holiday for a while. I have the dentist booked for mid December so it's unlikely he'll do much if anything before then as the eruption bump on his jaw needs looking at and he needs flu and tet jabs too - his passport has no record of vaccinations for either. Not the best time of year to be bringing a horse back into work, but I've asked them to take things steady with him and he does seem to be one of those that likes to be doing something to occupy his mind.

Good idea re the item of clothing.

Cobbytype

Visit site
How is the lovely standie doing? Has he settled into his training home?

Hi GD,

Job is still procrastinating at mine but will be going in about a week or so. I had him worm counted again last week and he's gone from a low to medium count, so he's going to be wormed tomorrow and he'll have a few days to recover from that before heading off.

Now the grass has lost its oomph he's starting to look a bit bored and although there's still a long way to go with building some muscle, I think he's ready to be doing just a bit of work. His winter coat is quite dull and staring on his body, but his rump and head have a nice shine to them and the dandruff is more of a flurry than a snow storm :)

I put a new, warmer rug on him this tea-time as his coat isn't very thick and was dismayed that it buries him. It's the right size in length, but as he has little shoulder and chest muscle it looks huge and hangs off him (it's a Rhino wug).

I made the mistake of over feeding him last week and managed to blow his brains resulting in Job thinking he was a ranch working horse employed to round up and chase the donks. Haylage ration has been halved and normal service has resumed :)

As you can see he's all belly at the moment (he's not actually as chubby as he looks in the pic and I can still feel his ribs and back bones beneath the fluff).

attachment.php

He's still incredibly sweet and polite and is a very chatty boy with a lot to get off his chest. He follows me around and occasionally has the odd 'muttering session' before wandering off, no doubt feeling much better for having talked things over with his therapist. I tend to forget what a rotten time he must have had, but sometimes there's a brief reminder. He wouldn't come to my husband this morning for his breakfast - he's usually fine but maybe my husband's clothing or something reminded him of past times?

I had a chat with the person who is going to be doing the work with him to discuss what schooling he will have. He'll be doing a lot of groundwork initially to build some muscle before any sort of ridden work is contemplated. It's a private stud that he's going to, run by a retired event rider - he will be the only livery there which will suit him as I think a big yard would overwhelm him. We did discuss the dreaded 'what if he's not suitable as a happy hacker' and if he's too forward he'll do a bit of whatever he's good at with a view to finding him nice home with a younger, more competitive rider. The groom's petite girlfriend is eyeing him up to do some low level eventing... so we shall have to see how things pan out.

Cobbytype

Visit site
So, Job went into schooling livery 3 days ago. I walked him in hand to his new yard and he was lovely and calm strolling through the village.

The little monkey is a fast mover... all Rhino Rug and face bling, he's only gone and shacked up with some bird half his age, who is completely besotted with him:

attachment.php

I bet she's in for a big disappointment when she sees him with his clothes off what with his pot belly and scraggy biceps :) Needless to say he's a happy little chap who barely acknowledges me:

attachment.php

Sorry to burst your honeymoon bubble Job, but you'll be starting work soon... and don't worry about me, I'm perfectly happy having Pot Noddle and Pringles for Xmas dinner to save money for your B + B.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Really looking forward to following Job's progress.

Oh he's made me cry too LD & S and frightened the life out of me when he first arrived too - his droppings were jet black and as dry as lumps of coal; I thought he was going to die from internal bleeding that first night, but instead he ate and drank and then ate and drank some more. Within 36 hours his droppings were looking healthier, so I guess he was 'just' badly dehydrated and and hungry?

I'm looking forward to seeing him get some muscle on his bones; it will be interesting to see what shape he is meant to be. He has a big rib cage so I'm hoping he'll have a bit of chunkiness to him. He seems to have grown a little since he arrived. It's still hard to tell what he is exactly - a Standardbred, or a Standardbred cross? His muzzle has a look of native so I fancy there's some pony in there.

LD&S

Visit site
OMG that must have been such a worry, it always amazes me the capacity horses have to forgive us humans, I can't remember if you said but roughly how big is he?

PorkChop

Visit site
I have only just discovered this thread, what a difference in him already, really lovely :)

Looking forward to the next installment, please keep up with the updates :)

Cobbytype

Visit site
OMG that must have been such a worry, it always amazes me the capacity horses have to forgive us humans, I can't remember if you said but roughly how big is he?

Yes it is very humbling when horses, against all odds, still place their trust in us. He's around 14.2hh but I haven't measured him. His passport says he's 5 and he has tushes, so I guess it isn't far out on his age, but perhaps now he's getting good nutrition he'll sprout up a little more. It would be nice if he made 14.3 - 15hh so that I don't feel too heavy for him.

He has the dentist coming to him in a couple of weeks to have a look at the bony lump on his jaw which I'm hoping is an eruption bump and not the result of him being kicked in the face.

Cobbytype

Visit site
I have only just discovered this thread, what a difference in him already, really lovely :)

Looking forward to the next installment, please keep up with the updates :)

Glad you're enjoying seeing his progress DE. I'm intrigued to see how he changes each week. It's nice to look at him and just see a normal, plain bay horse and not something pitiful and afraid. He's still a problem to catch but I hope once he gets into the routine of coming in for food he'll improve.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Just as Job was getting used to a life of procrastination and womanising, someone came along and spoiled all his fun. He was gently popped back into work last Monday, beginning with a little long reining in the school for ten minutes. He was fine, so spent the rest of the week doing short walks on the long reins in the village, apart from Thursday when he was long reined in the field and went up and over the cross country bank.

attachment.php

This morning he went out in the village again and met a Jewson building supplies lorry - the grabber wasn't to his liking, but I'm told he only did a modest spook going past it and went straight back to being calm again once he'd gone past.

I was quite looking forward to a Christmas of scoffing, but it looks like I shall need to start the diet sooner rather than later if Job continues to do well in his education - I'd anticipated that I had until March to diet. I need to shake off a stone to give him the best chance possible of comfortably taking my weight.

I'll try and get some pics of him working next week.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Lovely, lovely thread! :)

Glad you're enjoying the thread Mrs B.

I'm chuffed to bits with him. It was like Christmas morning on Tuesday when my husband shouted "Quick, look out the window, there's Job coming past the house". I went out to speak with the two trainers and did fluff my feathers a bit when (another) Mrs B said "Actually he's nicer than I thought, there's a nice quality little horse here".

He's still a little s0d to catch though;-)

MissTyc

Visit site
What a lovely thread - I just read the whole thing. Job has such a kind eye and it sounds like you are going to give him every opportunity to thrive. I hope he turns into the horse you want x