Rug and Girth for standardbred in poor condition

Cobbytype

Visit site
What a lovely thread - I just read the whole thing. Job has such a kind eye and it sounds like you are going to give him every opportunity to thrive. I hope he turns into the horse you want x

Thank you MissTyc.

He's got a lovely temperament (but just to make him feel better about himself I tell him it was his gorgeous muscled body I fell for;-)).

So far he has been very straight forward with pretty much everything. He went back to being nervous to rug when he moved to the schooling yard, but as far as I know he's becoming more confident again when the groom changes his rugs. He has shaken off a little weight with the yard move, but looks quite well and is interested in life and food.

Oh dear, there are going to be some tears if it turns out he's too small or whizzy for me.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Just a little update on Job.

So far, so good. He's been doing steady long reining work to date which he seems to enjoy. He's not too confident with big traffic such as lorries and has met some inconsiderate drivers whilst he's been out and about, but he does no more than a little spook.

He'd been hiding in the corner of his stable when his trainer goes in, but for the past week or so he's been very affectionate and likes to rub his face against his trainer's face... when it's near food time. He's coming out of his shell bit by bit and has a happy look about him, but can still be timid at times. Now his routine is more settled he's better to catch but always manages to be on the far side of the field - he's a horse that likes his own company and he prefers to get his head down and graze alone.

I had the dentist out to him earlier in the week and there were a lot of sharp edges to his teeth. The dentist doesn't think the lump on his jaw is an eruption bump, although there are remnants of a cap on his lower jaw on the same side as the lump. I guess time will tell what's going on? I've made the decision not to get the lump looked at by a vet for the moment, but will cross that bridge if it starts to bother him. I think he's been through enough for the moment and the dentist assures me that the lump isn't where the bit sits.

His coat now has a lovely shine to it. He's not put on anymore weight, but there are the beginnings of some shoulder roundness so he's much more in proportion and no longer looks to be all belly.

Big week for Job next week - he'll be re-backed and will spend the week doing ridden work and will then have a week or two turned away before being brought back into work.

I was quite touched a few days back when I overheard a conversation. A visitor to the yard was being sarcastic about Job and his trainer stuck up for him and said "I wish all the horses I work with were as good as him". I was pleased that my little hat rack horse, who looks to have been through hell, wasn't the butt of some cheap joke about 'quality horses'.

No photos this time but I'll grab some over Christmas.

Happy Christmas everyone and thanks for the encouragement these past couple of months.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Just seen this thread and can't wait to hear how he gets on with the ridden work. I think he's going to do you proud ��

I'm really proud of him already Peaches if truth be known. He has every reason on earth to be an aggressive, difficult horse, but instead is a lovely little chap who tries hard to please and isn't a bit of bother. I've a big soft spot for him.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Yay for an update, all sounds like good solid progress ... good boy Job :)

Yes DE he's coming along nicely... just that boney lump on his mandible which is a worry. I'd convinced myself it was an eruption bump/cyst, but it looks like he's had a kick at some point and his jaw has been broken... I think this horse has been through hell and the weaker he got, the more beat up he got by other horses and those who owned him.

He's landed on his feet though and I'll do right by him.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Another that's looking forward to some photos. He sounds like a little star with one of those old souls.

I shall try to get some decent photos when we get a nice day. Oh yes, he's an old fashioned little chap alright, despite being only 5. I really hope he's suitable for me as he's just fab and so easy to get along with. He appreciates being looked after and is really starting to blossom in his own little way.

p.s. hope you're getting along well with D.

Cobbytype

Visit site
It's been a while hasn't it! I'd hoped to have some recent photos of Job but this time of year doesn't present many nice photo opportunities, especially when the horse in question has an affinity with rolling in mud.

So, where are we? Well, Job is hacking out now. He's been out on his own for very short hacks after working in the school and has been for a couple of longer hacks in company. He's been fine except for a couple of wobbles with lorries, but nothing too drastic, just a bit spooky. He looks well. He's quite quirky in his own little way and can still be quite timid at times, but his confidence in me continues to flourish. He likes to show off in the paddock and lifts the edge of his field mate's turnout rug and nips her on the leg, then looks at me as though to say "See, I'm the boss around here; impressive isn't it?".

Not sure if I mentioned his teeth? He had the dentist a few weeks back and sadly the boney lump on his jaw isn't an eruption cyst/bump, so it looks like he's had a badly broken jaw which has mended itself but has left a big lump of bone. He also has scar tissue to his poll and along the top of his neck. I'd love to discuss these scars with the person that inflicted them. So far the jaw lump doesn't bother him and the dentist said that it doesn't interfere with eating, but I'm gutted tbh as it confirms something really horrible has happened to this little sweet horse.

So, I guess I'll be in the saddle within the next month or so and then we shall see how it goes, but I shall try to get some pics of him before then.

A belated Happy New Year from Job and myself :)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Great update. But quite frankly useless without the obligatory photo (mud or no mud) 😠😬😀😁

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Great update you have done a grand job with him, I had a mare that had scar tissue in the poll area she was very head shy when we got her and you could not put anything on her that gave poll pressure, but the physio showed me how to get her to accept me touching the area, I started with very light stroking and within a few months she was so much better and in time she was happy to have the poll rubbed and quite enjoyed it, it does make you wonder what some horses have gone through in previous homes to end up with with such injuries, I hope it's not effecting him to much maybe get a physio to have a look at him if you haven't already it really helped my horse.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Great update you have done a grand job with him, I had a mare that had scar tissue in the poll area she was very head shy when we got her and you could not put anything on her that gave poll pressure, but the physio showed me how to get her to accept me touching the area, I started with very light stroking and within a few months she was so much better and in time she was happy to have the poll rubbed and quite enjoyed it, it does make you wonder what some horses have gone through in previous homes to end up with with such injuries, I hope it's not effecting him to much maybe get a physio to have a look at him if you haven't already it really helped my horse.

He's not too bothered unless I start fixating on his lumps and bumps, then he gets irritated with me faffing. The lumps on his poll (they're actually in his forelock) don't seem to bother him but they feel awful. The lumps on his neck seem to be improving - they are a row of small hard lumps less than the size of a pea.

He's being ridden without a noseband or in a Micklem to avoid anything rubbing the lump on his jaw.

I think the physio is a good idea and he seems the sort who would enjoy it.

Cobbytype

Visit site
So, I was sat working at the computer this afternoon when my husband shouted to say that Job was hacking past. I scuttled to the window to watch him going up the road. I thought he looked a bit tight and quick and then the little s0d threw his teddies out the cot when he was asked to go past a truck with the shooting party trailer on the back. As scary monsters go, the shooting party trailer probably registers 2 on the 0 - 10 Scary Monster Scale (it's gloomy green and not that big... and was more or less at a stand still).

Eat your heart out Michael Flately, Job's feet can move twice as fast as yours and he can spin without falling over too, so there.

I saw him vanish up a neighbours drive, at which point I was making my way out the house to go and help... or pick his trainer up off the road. I saw Job fly out the drive and disappear around the bend in break neck trotter mode. On a positive note, his trainer was still on board, albeit hanging on for dear life. On another positive note, being boring bay, I can look suitably perplexed and clueless when any of the neighbours ask if I know who the nutty horse belongs to.

Apparently I missed the best bit as the pair of them met a double decker bus just as they got around the bend and the Irish dancing recommenced, and once again when a vehicle and trailer and a man in a van going too fast bombed them.

Things were going so well weren't they? Funnily enough, Job's trainer mentioned yesterday that he was developing a bit of a character, so I guess he sensed there were hidden depths to the timid little hat hack who hadn't really put a foot wrong since going to the yard at the beginning of December.

Hoping today was just a glitch as there's no way my ancient seat will keep me on board when presented with that sort of behaviour.

Here's a gratuitous photo of the culprit:

attachment.php

millikins

Visit site
Thanks for the update, he's looking very well. I'd hazard a guess he's been involved in a nasty crash when being driven, poor so and so :(

Cobbytype

Visit site
Poor lad. Sounds as if he genuinely had a fright. Hopefully the trainer has a good nanny to ride out with in future.

I think it was a mixture of fear and temper tbh. Job is often worked in the morning and today there was a change of routine and very near to DINNER TIME. He's very into routine is our Job, especially where food is concerned. He looked quite lit up before it all kicked off; quite out of character, but he does have a stroppy side to him which emerges now and then.

He's been out and about with other horses mostly, but today's solo hack was meant to be a quiet plod around the block, which is probably about 800m on usually quiet village roads. Hey ho, that's horses I guess.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Thinking it would account for the broken jaw, head injuries and fear of traffic.

I'm hoping it is genuine greenness, but I hear what you're saying loud and clear and it's a possibility for sure. I have walked him in traffic previously and he was fine, but we only met cars as far as I can remember. I guess today's episode was a reminder to take things very slowly. He's been fine on the long reins hacking about on his own with just the occasional spook at big traffic.

Part of me thinks it might have been temper at being asked to work near tea-time. I saw him go for the trainer's dog a few weeks back and he pounced at it with his front legs and he really wasn't messing around. Luckily the dog managed to scamper out the way, but it was a very close shave.

Regardless of the reason for today's antics, Job wasn't punished, but he was asked to go forwards. His trainer is going back to only hacking Job in company for a while to help restore his confidence and we'll take it from there.

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
Another thing to bear in mind maybe, is that if he has been driven by ..certain types.. shall we say, then if he had met anything that worried him he would have had the whip used hard, so it may well be the anticipation of a beating that panics him more than the vehicle.
He will associate meeting traffic with a thrashing and that will be a hard one to get rid of.

Asha

Visit site
Ive just caught up with this thread, what a journey for you both. Hes one lucky boy to have found you, hopefully the traffic incident was just a one off.

Keep the updates coming, lovely thread x

LD&S

Visit site
I 'lost' this thread but delighted to find it again, what a great new start Job is having but OMG your description when you took him to meet the trainer was so sad. Bless him he must have had a horrible past.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
If he was road raced it's worth remembering they are used to travelling near the central line rather than into the kerb as well - when we used to hack our harness horses (not very often) they would hug the white line as the camber is less there and it's easier to pace.
Non of ours were ever road raced but as they were in training we were asking them to pace rather than trot on the roads when hacking.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Good morning everyone. Thank you for your support. Must admit that I felt quite down last night, but reminded myself how far this little horse has come in a short space of time.

So, it is bleak and freezing here today and I'd just got back from taking the (reluctant to go out) donks to the paddock when a little bay horse appeared on the road, accompanied by a large chestnut TB. And as if by magic, a big articulated lorry appeared at the junction near to where yesterday's melt down took place. The lorry virtually stopped, but the horses had to ride closely past it. Job was a bit spooky, but just a bit of quick side-stepping today, followed by a gentle pat on the neck by his trainer. I saw him return a few minutes later and all was well.

Michen

Visit site
I think it was a mixture of fear and temper tbh. Job is often worked in the morning and today there was a change of routine and very near to DINNER TIME. He's very into routine is our Job, especially where food is concerned. He looked quite lit up before it all kicked off; quite out of character, but he does have a stroppy side to him which emerges now and then.

He's been out and about with other horses mostly, but today's solo hack was meant to be a quiet plod around the block, which is probably about 800m on usually quiet village roads. Hey ho, that's horses I guess.

Hmmm, sounds like another pony I know ;)