Rug dilemma!

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Hi everyone, new pony arrived last week with a collection of rugs but I think he needs something for spring....he is welsh part bred, blanket clipped. He has

Heavyweight turnout x 1
Heavyweight stable x 1 in both of those at the moment as its been down to -5c here.
Rainsheet x 1
2 x fleece rugs and a fleece lined stable rug.

He obviously needs something for the warmer weather but do I go for a 200g mediumweight stable and turnout or a 100g turnout with neck? He is apparently a good doer. Or do I get a 150g stable?? So confused! Thanks

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Thank you, yes that's a good point sometimes he is in his turnout overnight actually as he's on livery and they don't always change it. Hmm maybe a 200g turnout then is the answer x

Bobthecob15

Visit site
It sounds like a lot to have him in a heavyweight if it is only down to -5. I assume by heavyweight you mean 300g? Of course they all vary enormously, but worth checking if he really needs so much.
Yes I think it's about 300g but there are no labels! It's all we have at the moment, either that or a fleece which isn't enough I don't think. He seems ok in it as he is clipped...Have ordered a medium stable rug and a thinner turnout, will see how he goes x

Winters100

Visit site
Yes I think it's about 300g but there are no labels! It's all we have at the moment, either that or a fleece which isn't enough I don't think. He seems ok in it as he is clipped...Have ordered a medium stable rug and a thinner turnout, will see how he goes x

Well don't stress too much, if it was what he came with he will survive:)

It is pretty much impossible to know what suits without being there, but I would say that I am much less worried by a horse being on the cold side than being too hot, especially when turned out as they can move to keep warm. As you get to know him you will see better what he needs:)

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Well don't stress too much, if it was what he came with he will survive:)

It is pretty much impossible to know what suits without being there, but I would say that I am much less worried by a horse being on the cold side than being too hot, especially when turned out as they can move to keep warm. As you get to know him you will see better what he needs:)
Yes I hope so, will definitely switch to the medium stable rug as soon as it arrives, he doesn't appear to be too hot in the turnout so will keep that one on for a bit longer x

bouncing_ball

Visit site
It sounds like a lot to have him in a heavyweight if it is only down to -5. I assume by heavyweight you mean 300g? Of course they all vary enormously, but worth checking if he really needs so much.

Agree.

Medium weight is 200-250gms I think

Heavyweight 300-450gms

I’ve got my fully clipped out overnight in 400gms at 2 degrees.

He was wearing 550gms at -3 degrees

I would get

1200 dernier no fill turnout with detachable neck with liner clips

1200 dernier 100gm turnout with detachable neck with liner clips

100gm rug liner.

That gives you most needed combinations with your existing 300gm turnout.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Thank you! I've not had my own horse for the best part of 18yrs...back then the choices were limited!! Stable rug or turnout plus a duvet or under rug if it was chilly...too much choice now!

Winters100

Visit site
Thank you! I've not had my own horse for the best part of 18yrs...back then the choices were limited!! Stable rug or turnout plus a duvet or under rug if it was chilly...too much choice now!

Yes, I remember the same. A jute rug for night and a new zealand for turnout, woolen blankets under when cold.

Just one thing about changing the rug at night - if the horse is at livery it is for you to say what you want. Assuming that rug changes are included do specify what you would like him to wear. There are lots of different views, but personally I like the rugs to be changed as I believe that stable rugs are more comfortable for night, and I also would be worried that the rug would not be removed to check the horse if it was to wear the same rug overnight..

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Yes, I remember the same. A jute rug for night and a new zealand for turnout, woolen blankets under when cold.

Just one thing about changing the rug at night - if the horse is at livery it is for you to say what you want. Assuming that rug changes are included do specify what you would like him to wear. There are lots of different views, but personally I like the rugs to be changed as I believe that stable rugs are more comfortable for night, and I also would be worried that the rug would not be removed to check the horse if it was to wear the same rug overnight..
Yes he does usually get changed to his stable rug, it's just occasionally ill find him in his turnout but to be honest it doesn't bother me as long as he's dry and not too hot. I think it just depends who gets him in...sometimes I get there before they've had a chance to switch over to his stable rug so probably see him before he is tucked up for the night x