Rug in my washing machine.......

mangobiscuit

Visit site
Right...so my darling horse decides to make his usual morning escape while one of the girls was removing his stable rugs. But instead of going for the grass....he feels it necessary to make a beeline for the sandschool (which had been kindly left open).

Our sandschool is pretty much unrideable whenever it rains so you can imagine the state of it at the moment....and yes....fleece and all, he goes and rolls in a nice sloppy corner coating himself in sand
mad.gif

Why? Why would you do this? Hmmm...anyway have been using Vicstress' fleece for underneath his stable rug and have finally decided to tackle the sand covered one.

It is now whirling round my washing machine (no...I havent rinsed it in the bath....just because I think I will make a huge mess! Oh and I was too lazy to
blush.gif
)

Now I have this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that it was a really bad idea to shove it in there......any comments/stories/experiences to share.

I know it's late and by the time I get any replies my washing machine will have commited suicide but it's worth a try....?
grin.gif

Lucy

x

mangobiscuit

Visit site
Oh joy.....
mad.gif

Well I'm going to try and go to sleep (through all the clattering of the straps - my neighbours are so going to HATE me) and worry about it in the morning.......

Arggggghhhhh.

x

*Off to Olympia tmro so may HAVE to get new rug - diddums....
tongue.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Don't worry, my OH puts ligjhtweight rugs & boots in the washing machine regularly. The clatter of the buckles is awful but if you put a sock or similar over them it's alot quieter.
crazy.gif

Marnie

Visit site
I put everything in my washing machine - even my grooming kit has been in there - bar the metal curry comb! Its still going strong..... cross fingers!

mrussell

Visit site
I cant think that the sand will do it any good..... I know how just putting my boots in clogged the filters over time - and you must be talking a lot more sand on your rug than was on my boots...

Oh dear.....

emmajanerushton

community.webshots.com
I rent my washer and dryer, people say ohhh it must cost alot and you pay more than owning your own, i pay 30 per month for both and belive me with what i put in mine its worth it, i wont put bigger than 5 foot rugs in though unless very thin, i was new zealands and stable rugs and have blocked filters with sand sha\vings and hay hahahahaha i boil wash out after using then use it for my own clothes no problem, but dont leave them on your radiators as makes house pong lol you need a washing line

freya_5

Visit site
I put my thin rugs in a duvet cover and tie a bit knot in the end, the straps don't clutter that way. I got a washing machine last christmas - you can imagine my joy
frown.gif
We now have too, one for horse stuff and one for our clothes, but my partner got rid of my tumble drier to make room for the horsey washing machine, I was not happy!! He was fed up of horse hairs on his black trousers
smile.gif
opps! I still put things in there clothes one just to spite him
smile.gif

RobinHood

Visit site
I put everything in our washing machine (thermatex, xc boots, saddlecloths etc)but the rule is they have to be washed and scrubbed at the yard first so there is no sand/mud/not too much hair on them. I've lost count of the number of times my poor dad has had to clean out the filters.

Sooty

Visit site
Just remember to run the machine empty before washing any human clothes - I washed Beano's fleece recently then when I was hanging up our clothes the next day there was a faint smell of horse wee...
blush.gif

katelarge

Visit site
ooh dear...

hubby is a devotee of washing rugs in ours and to be fair to him he hasn't stuffed up yet. We are talking just fleeces and light stable rugs though. Mind you, he has said on several occasions that he reckons he could get our Ramb Duo in the machine - not so sure on that one!

The main thing is for the rug to be light material, not too soiled, and cover the surcingle hooks with a thick sock and a rubber band.

brightmount

Visit site
I have a Dyson with an extended warranty - especially because of the horse rugs lol! I have got my money's worth out of the extended warranty!

I do try to get as much hair off as possible before putting rugs and numnahs in the WM but I have to remove the coin trap very regularly to pull out all the hair. I also run an empty rinse cycle once or twice after a rug washing session.

I would think sand is bad news - and obviously it was!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Everything horsey goes through our washing machine although i do remove sand / grit etc as best as possible first and run the washing machine on empty afterwards.

To the person who mentioned the Rambo Duo's.... if you split them down to the outer shell and inner shell, they will fit in a standard washing machine quite happily! Mine has been through a few times now
laugh.gif

Pidge

Visit site
Has she tried emptying the filter? My washing machine wouldn't drain and after emptying all the water out, I got to the filter and there was a load of horse hair and sand clogging it up
blush.gif

I wash numnahs. sheets, boots etc in my machine, but have found by past experience that vacumming most of the hairs off rugs is better as when I got my own washing out there was a nice amount of horse hair on it
blush.gif

katelarge

Visit site
Aha - well I owe hubby an apology then! The inner would be fine, but my worry is that the outer rug is very muddy - has been rolled in muchly! But maybe if I sponged the outer first?...