rug in stable

fizzer

Visit site
Do you always rug your ponies in the stable especially if they are very hairy and good doers.

Have just been listening to two people arguing with each other. How funny what people will fall out about. BTW they are both in their 40"s.

Tarbs

Visit site
I did overnight but took it off this morning as he's a little on the tubby side so I thought he can shiver some of the flab off today if he gets cold! But he's a hairy cob so I only rug when its very cold or if I want to keep him relatively clean when he's turned out.

PS. I'm also in my 40's - what relevance is that?!

Tarbs

Visit site
I did overnight but took it off this morning as he's a little on the tubby side so I thought he can shiver some of the flab off today if he gets cold! But he's a hairy cob so I only rug when its very cold or if I want to keep him relatively clean when he's turned out.

PS. I'm also in my 40's - what relevance is that?!

That's the first time I've ever had to say I'm in my 40's (am ony 41 so surely I'm not yet?!).

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Do you always rug your ponies in the stable especially if they are very hairy and good doers.

Have just been listening to two people arguing with each other. How funny what people will fall out about. BTW they are both in their 40"s.

Yes my welshie and donkey wear their NZ in and out they are in 12 oz rugs ATM

fizzer

Visit site
I only mentioned age as they arguing like a pair of kids. Full screaching at each other about who is right.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
No I don't but then I don't rug them when they are out either, they are hairy natives that currently resemble woolly mammoths, one might get a rug on if he comes in really wet and cold but its literally just till hes warmed up and dried off a bit then its off again, the other one i bought a rug for 6 years ago and it has never been worn and the shetland doesn't even have a rug

ShadowFlame

Visit site
No, why would you need to? I have a hairy cob, he's chaser clipped but it has partly grown out. He's only rugged if it's going to be particularly cold.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I've only really ever had one year of a totally roughed off horse over winter, and I didn't rug her (it was bloomin difficult not to mind you......).

But of course, it is entirely personal choice.

fizzer

Visit site
Exactly!!! I only went to help out a friend on these women are ion her yard. Amazing i couldn't handle that on a daily basis. LOL

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
No, I don't. Cob has a half grown out full clip and loads of mane, feather and tail. He doesn't do cold, so he only gets a rain sheet on when its raining and nothing in the stable.

A friend asked if he could have a stable rug on the other night as it was cold, but I'm quite happy to explain why he isn't rugged. She, on the other hand is always complaining about feeling cold and therefore tends to wrap her horse up.

In your friends situation, who is right and who is wrong ? The one with a horse in good condition.

Neither dropping weight from being cold with too little forage and nor with lumps or skin complaints from being too warm.

Luci07

Visit site
I would be more inclined to put something on a horse in a stable as the horse cant move around to warm up but on the basis that the vast majority of owners really do know what suits their own horses I would not get into a bunfight over it.

and don't' for a moment think that someone over 40 automatically knows how to behave!!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I would be more inclined to put something on a horse in a stable as the horse cant move around to warm up but on the basis that the vast majority of owners really do know what suits their own horses I would not get into a bunfight over it.

and don't' for a moment think that someone over 40 automatically knows how to behave!!

Agree. They are often colder shut in than outside. Depends on the horse and the stable.