Rug Opinions (Bucas Celtic vs Rambo Jumbo Stable)

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Hey guys,

Im wanting to order a super thick stable rug for horsey today. My initial instinct was to buy the rambo jumbo stable wug (http://www.horseware.com/stables/rambo/stablesjumbo.asp) because its quite simply, the heaviest stable rug I can find on the market and well, because its horseware so a make I trust.

I had a quick flick through other stable rugs and also spotted the Bucas Celtic stable (http://www.bucas.com/index.php/products/C9/) which seems to have been quite popular but isn't as warm.

My gelding suffers with the cold like you wouldnt believe to the extent that we even had a vet check him over to make sure he was ok! He's had a thick Mark Todd stable rug on now since September and while he's still ok with that, Im wanting a really damn thick stable rug for him this year to try and avoid layering too heavily (he had 4 layers on at times last year
frown.gif
)

These two rugs are both pretty similar in price but the rambo one is heavier... The bucas does have the neck cover but I already have a couple of full length under rugs anyway, so he'd still get his neck covered more than likely.

Has anyone tried either? Also, I seem to remember that bucas either size generously or tightly and you should order either up a size or down... cant remember which though!!

Any opinions / advice / experience with either rug would be muchly appreciated!
smile.gif

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
Tierra, I bought my horse a really cosy rug two years ago that even had a belly cover - however he was so so hot in it I had to take it off after a few hours as he looked like he had been in a sauna!! I think it is 6.3 or 6.6 can't remember will check at Lunch - it's a Weatherbeeta Fusion - it's 360gm but it does warn you it is a very warm rug and believe me it is!! If the size would fit and you'd pay for the postage or collect its free to a good home as it's clogging up my tackroom and has only been used for two hours!! This goes to anyone who want's it!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I have looked at Fal but they are a bit more expensive than I ideally wanted to pay to be honest, although I do love the look of the godolphin.

I love the idea of the tummy covering on the fusion! Thats got to keep some extra heat in.

The worse thing about all this is that I deliberatly didn't clip my horse out last year because I was warned how cold he got (and even in october he was in thick rugs), but this year I really could do with clipping him out so it's going to be worse still
frown.gif

Ive never ever ever come across a horse as cold in my life.

Anyway! I'll have a word with my other half and send you a pm regarding your rug. That could help loads and i loooove the idea of it covering his tummy a bit!

Thanks for the help
laugh.gif

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I thought weatherbeets only did one type of fusion rug
confused.gif

I brought 2 fusion rugs and founf that I had to pile on the layers under it because my girls weren't warm enough.
Now my fully clipped girls are earing a weatherbeeta under rug combo (with the neck folded back) during the day and at night they have Rambo wugs (high necks) and they're very toasty in those
laugh.gif

Kat
xx

Nic

Visit site
The Masta Regal is the heaviest stable rug I could find @ 425g I have one for my cob & love it however it doesn't have a neck cover.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
He's hanoverian x connemara... so you'd think the pony in him would give him a bit of hardyness. While it does in the sense that he seems to have a 5th leg and never goes lame, I have a serious problem keeping him warm. Honestly, this isnt me being over protective or fussy about my horse.. it's a real problem!

I was warned before I bought him that he needed plenty of food and a lot of rugs, but I thought they were exaggerating. He passed a full 5* vetting but a few months into winter last year we had our vets out to give him the once over and take blood to check he was ok because I was genuinely worried about him. Everything came back clear and the vet said he was perfectly healthy, just clearly felt the cold.

Last year was an absolute pain because of the amount of rugs he had on and they werent light weight rugs that could have been replaced by heavier ones or better lined ones... they were good quality heavy stable rugs.

To the poster who mentioned leg bandaging.. I use magnetic leg wraps which is what he has on at the mo but I dont think they are as "snug" as stable bandages. That being said, I always worry that my bandaging skills arent upto scratch and dont want to cause problems!
blush.gif

My horse wants a warmer climate i think
frown.gif

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
Think there is only one? The one I have is 360g polyfill and has a kind of tummy pad. My last horse seriously overheated in it! He was a TB/Welsh and was clipped but in an American Barn so i guess that helped!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Try and get your hands on a flectalon rug if you can - they are wonderful.

Layering with heavyweight rugs won't be hugely beneficial because part of the design of these rugs is that they work upon contact with the body.

I have always found layering with a cotton sheet, wool newmarket rug, then a good stable rug with neck cover works wonderfully. Together with bandaging legs makes for a toasty horse.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Ive ordered a Jumbo stable wug... its the heaviest rug I could find on the market at 550g and while not full neck, I do have a couple of under rugs with full necks that should make up for this (and im still assuming he's going to need them at this point). I might also try and get hold of a whitney type wool rug (thanks for the suggestion amy).

He's got a rambo supreme turnout as well as a duo. But the duo can sort of be made to a maximum of 400g in weight (this proved no good at all last year by the time we hit the depths of winter). However I sneakily found out last year that the duo linings attach to most of the other horseware rugs, so I can bump his rambo supreme to like 700g in weight (and no, im not kidding, this is realistic with my boy). I know it sounds crazy, but he gets very sad when he's not warm and then doesnt enjoy his time in the field and I dont care what I have to do, Im not having him stood in all day just because its cold.

I think I'll get my trainer to give me some bandaging lessons and switch to using those instead of leg wraps also. I just dont want to cause any damage to his legs by not bandaging correctly
blush.gif