Rug question! No fill with liners vs. Various weight rugs

viceversa

Visit site
In anticipation of purchasing some new rugs in Black Friday sales, it has got me thinking what will actually be most useful!
Does anyone only use a rainsheet on the outside and add liners to increase weight? I already have 100, 200 and 350g PE liners but have only used them under med weight rug when horse is clipped and it's chilly. Hence the 350g barely gets used. I love the liners/underrugs as so easy to wash etc.
Is there any disadvantage to just layering up under a rainsheet as opposed to having heavier rugs? Would be 1200 denier with detach neck (I find 1200 dont leak). Or am I better getting something with a bit of filling rather than rainsheet?

fairyclare

Visit site
I have a 0g and a 40g, thats it!!
The rest are liners which I can swap about and most importantly - wash regularly!

I always get the highest denier I can, this system has worked well for both my horses, clipped and unclipped. The 350g gets vert little use but the 100g gets so much abuse!

viceversa

Visit site
I've got lots of others I can use as spares :) just need something for new horse and was going to get med weight but thinking whether no fill would be best being as I have all these liners already!

Nari

Visit site
Given that you've got plenty of spares then I'd say go for the rainsheet & use liners. Personally I prefer separate rugs though - no faffing around changing liners & I do think even the best rugs have pressure points so I like to change them around. It also means I can ask my YO to rug depending on what the weather is like that morning, I wouldn't dream of asking her to spend time changing rug liners if the weather had changed significantly over night.

Shay

Visit site
I like to have a liner if I can simply becuase I can wash it regularly. But I do make extensive use of various weight rugs. Piling too many liners underneath can put a lot of pressure on the whithers and I have had horses made sore by this before. But then I also have storage that looks like a small but well stocked tack shop! Basically just a caution for using more liners piled on top of one another for too long.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Does anyone only use a rainsheet on the outside and add liners to increase weight? I already have 100, 200 and 350g PE liners but have only used them under med weight rug when horse is clipped and it's chilly. Hence the 350g barely gets used. I love the liners/underrugs as so easy to wash etc.

yep this works well for my horses. Provided your outer layer is good enough quality then you're sorted. I have Rambos which have never let me down, and add a liner as necessary. I use the 100g ones most often but do also have 200g. Since I swapped to liners we haven't had severe cold weather where I am so that's been plenty, especially as the rambos wrap round to keep draughts out and I have warm horses anyway (clipped out comp horse is currently only wearing her lightweight).

I love not having zillions of rugs hanging about and being able to keep the inner layer clean easily. Only thing I would add is that it's useful to have a couple of spare necks so you can clean them too :)

chocolategirl

Visit site
I’ve started doing this for the first time in 40 odd years this year, so it’ll be interesting to see how it works. I’ve bought my 3 clipped horses a 100 gramme climatemasta full neck and maxima equestrian 100 gramme liners each and if it goes super super cold, I will just put a 200 gramme outdoor on instead of the 100. I haven’t put mine in heavyweights (350g plus)in years as it just hasn’t been cold enough IMO. Also, my vet says is much healthier for them to be a bit on the cool side, than too warm which to me is just plain common sense. As it happens, it’s super mild here at min so they’re in rug liners with lightweights (no fill) on top and guess what? They’re toasty underneath!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Personally Ive had 2 of these waterproof outer type rugs with liners, otherwise all my other rugs are usual weighted (all in one) types. I like the idea behind the liners, but for me the outer shell is never 100% waterproof compared with normal rugs which is a big issue for me. Ive had the Horsewear one and the WB Tristar one. Horsewear one leaked like a sieve and the Tristar was ok for the first year or two but now it also leaks in much rain.

Lintel

Visit site
I have a rug of nearly every weight and every pattern.
For a highland who is unrugged this year.

But I have a rug collecting problem- so liners just wouldn't satisfy me- although they seem like a better idea/cheaper option! I would have a Rambo optimo.

TGM

Visit site
I do this too, although I use under-rugs rather than liners. Standard wardrobe for any of mine would be no-fill turnout, 200g turnout and 100g under-rug which gives me the options of no-fill, 100g, 200g and 300g. Plus I have a turnout for spare if necessary, and can use the under-rug as a LW stable rug if necessary. Love the fact that it is easy to wash the under-rugs in the washing machine so keeping the layer next to the horse clean.

viceversa

Visit site
I do this too, although I use under-rugs rather than liners. Standard wardrobe for any of mine would be no-fill turnout, 200g turnout and 100g under-rug which gives me the options of no-fill, 100g, 200g and 300g. Plus I have a turnout for spare if necessary, and can use the under-rug as a LW stable rug if necessary. Love the fact that it is easy to wash the under-rugs in the washing machine so keeping the layer next to the horse clean.

That's what I love about them too, as I never get turnout rugs washed for fear of them no longer being water proof!

Do you think the way you do it (so 2 turnouts and only a 100g liner) is any more beneficial than just a no fill then 100,200,300g liners?

TGM

Visit site
That's what I love about them too, as I never get turnout rugs washed for fear of them no longer being water proof!

Do you think the way you do it (so 2 turnouts and only a 100g liner) is any more beneficial than just a no fill then 100,200,300g liners?

To be honest, I do it that way as I already had the 200g turnouts! But I think two turnouts are a must, so you have one spare, but no reason why they both can't be no fill I think.

viceversa

Visit site
To be honest, I do it that way as I already had the 200g turnouts! But I think two turnouts are a must, so you have one spare, but no reason why they both can't be no fill I think.

Yes my other horse has a few rugs which will do as spares for new horse!
I just wondered as I know some people say no fills don't stand up to winter weather and heavy rain, but to be honest I've never had a leaky 1200 denier one. After all we can still get heavy rain in spring/summer/autumn!

viceversa

Visit site
I like to have a liner if I can simply becuase I can wash it regularly. But I do make extensive use of various weight rugs. Piling too many liners underneath can put a lot of pressure on the whithers and I have had horses made sore by this before. But then I also have storage that looks like a small but well stocked tack shop! Basically just a caution for using more liners piled on top of one another for too long.

Thanks, that does make sense, however I don't intend on layering the liners, just using one liner plus no fill. As I have liners up to 350g so that should be plenty. I actually think 350g liner plus no fill would probably weigh less than a HW rug?

Fjord

Visit site
Can you use a stable rug as a liner? One without a neck underneath a full neck rain sheet? I'm trying to think of reasons it won't work.

TGM

Visit site
Can you use a stable rug as a liner? One without a neck underneath a full neck rain sheet? I'm trying to think of reasons it won't work.

It depends on the stable rug! Rugs designed to be liners/under-rugs generally are cut quite snugly to fit under turnout rugs, so you don't have the liner/under-rug hanging below the level of the turnout rug (where it would be more prone to mud and damp). Also, if I did use a stable rug underneath a turnout then I would only choose one with a nylon lining, as less likely to rub, and also less likely to soak up mud and damp than something like cotton, for example.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
In anticipation of purchasing some new rugs in Black Friday sales, it has got me thinking what will actually be most useful!
Is there any disadvantage to just layering up under a rainsheet as opposed to having heavier rugs? Would be 1200 denier with detach neck (I find 1200 dont leak). Or am I better getting something with a bit of filling rather than rainsheet?

I only ever put layers on mine so have 4 oz 7 oz 12 oz 14 oz and put an under rug on

Beth206

Visit site
I have four rugs for my mare; a waterproof sheet, a 50g and two 100g.

I rarely ever use the waterproof sheet, when I start rugging her I will use the 50g until she adjusts, then use 100g when the temperatures drop. She stays in her 100 most of the winter but I like to know I could layer it with the 50 or the other 100 if she was too cold. Then I use the 50 again in early spring to phase her out of wearing a rug.

SEL

Visit site
I have four rugs for my mare; a waterproof sheet, a 50g and two 100g.

I rarely ever use the waterproof sheet, when I start rugging her I will use the 50g until she adjusts, then use 100g when the temperatures drop. She stays in her 100 most of the winter but I like to know I could layer it with the 50 or the other 100 if she was too cold. Then I use the 50 again in early spring to phase her out of wearing a rug.

My 50g is my hardest working rug. It also gets popped under other rugs if it really does get chilly.