Rug sizes, makes etc, for lil Welshies

JaneMBE

Visit site
Every year we have the same problem with rugs for the two titchy welshies. Every rug we have tried is too baggy round the chest.
Anyone with a welsh A who can recommend a rug and the size they use be a great help!

Both are 11.1, average girths etc. Although both fluffy just now, they will need rugging just to appease the neighbours who like to moan about neglected starving ponies
smile.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
I would leave them without and stuff the neighbours.... maybe ask them to call the RSPCA if they're concerned ( provided you know the answer will be in your favour!)
If not possible, haven't a clue what rugs, sorry!

welshpony

Visit site
If you're not going to clip them then I really wouldn't bother rugging, unless they have a real problem with the cold. My welshy is out all year minus a rug.

JaneMBE

Visit site
Not as easy as ignoring the neighbours
crazy.gif

the field they are in offers no shelter, so we always put a light rug on in winter. .
Just need a make that wont drop at the chest or suffocate the beggars....

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Oh Jane, stuff the neighbours!
I have a little welshie and they seriously don't need rugging! They don't get rugged on the welsh mountains do they??

Right, Weatherbeeta generally DON"T fit welshies, they gape at the neck. Masta are a big no-no!
The Saxon line are good though, but if your welshies are anything like mine they will come too low on the neck and rub the withers.

I have been recommended a Rhino Wug, as they are made with ponies in mind. I think anything by Horseware (and rideaway have a sale on the amigos atm) are good (but pricey for something a wesh a is likely to shred). Personally I am going to buy a real lightweight which will keep him dry but not over heat him. I am looking to get something with a 'half neck' on it so that it doesnt slip down or rub the withers. i might end up with a bald mane but hey!

And I am only buying a rug so i know I have one IF NEED BE!
He won't get cold, and he doesnt mind the wet.
With natives you just have to remember what they live like in the wild and it stops you spending hundreds on unnceccesary (sp?) rugs lol.

pixie

Visit site
We once had to use a dog rug on a very small filly, so perhaps look into that if a foal rug doesn't fit.
I know there are sites with tack and rugs for smaller ponies, but I can't remember any names right now!

JaneMBE

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh Jane, stuff the neighbours!
I have a little welshie and they seriously don't need rugging! They don't get rugged on the welsh mountains do they??

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, they don't! Neither does any horse, but we still do it lol.
The anti-mob have already started moaning, albeit about a pile of wood outside the gate! Council called and said move it... even though, the are is one of the biggest sh*th*les around for rubbish.....

I would love to stuff the neighbours.........
laugh.gif
But I would rather live happily than start the nasty stuff again, so a thin rug is what they will be having (unless I can find someone who wants to loan them and break them to harness and cart for 6 months....... lol)

sorona

Visit site
I had a rhino pony wug and it was brilliant, a perfect fit on my little girl; would highly recommend it. Cuddly ponies seem to be popular too and are made for ponies and they are advertised on welshies!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
try the cuddly pony range as they seem cheap, or dinkyrugs.co.uk

I havent found one to fit my welshie yet....

ets he's a 5'. A 4'9 is too tight across the chest and fits his bum VERY snugly. A 5' is perfect in the body (bar a bit deep, but I have only tried weatherbeeta), and gape round the neck. So I would say a 5' in a special pony rug.

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
Section A's don't need rugging - true.... but we rug ours to the hilt to keep the little s*d clean
blush.gif
- he's the most experienced mud-magnet we have ever had!
smirk.gif

We use the Mark Todd turnout with the detachable neck cover as his heavy turnout, weatherbeeta taka combo lightweight turnout and the rhino wug in the stable. All these makes of rug fit him really well and he's a broad and chunky little chap.

L

lilym

mark todd pony range or cuddly ponies range both excellent fits for a's size depends on pony but friend's chunky monkey show a's are in 4'9" the foals in 4'!
laugh.gif

ladylisa

Visit site
The first year i had my little welsh show pony i didnt rug him and come summer his coat looked amazing.... last winter i got him a rambo in a 4'3 it fitted him great i also got him a rhinegold with neck in a 4'6 that also fitted well. but come summer his coat was patchy as really welshies dont need rugging unless your clipping.