rug theft gloucester

appyjude

Visit site
Sorry to say that my yard was 'done over' last night and they took ALL my rugs - even off the horses backs.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
Cut padlocks on my freezers and emptied them and tied up those in stables and removed their rugs leaving 3 of them unable to get to food or water. Took all bar one rug from horses in field and, typical, it was not my horse or rug that was left!

Did not harm any of the horses. In excess of 20 rugs stolen including 6ft ruby/silver taka combo just washed, 6ft new wbeeta landa medium, shires stormcheeta purple 6'6" , typhoon blue 6ft and older shires purple check rug 5'6", 5'3 shires blue typhoon, very old and very patched masta combo 6'6" this was a flexneck but had been repaired to remove the flex and make it a combo, 6 fleeces - grey and blue check, 2 x grey gallop, blue masta ones, black with gold piping 5'9" fleece, 2 x under rug duvet combos both 6ft one masta one requisite, 2 x 6ft standard duvet underrugs white and blue, hi viz exercise fleece sheet, blue with reflective edgings exercise sheet, 1 stubben head collar - leather, 6 webbing headcollars and lead ropes - ropes are all bright <font color="orange">orange </font> 1 purple masta turnout 3 years old with black chest as it had been destroyed and rebuilt at the front 5'9". 6'9" blackwatch tartan w/beeta stable rug, 5'9" chillcheeta combo stable rug - as new, 5'3" chillcheeta standard - old - that is all I can think of for the present. Police informed - many of these rugs have either names on the inside or I can identify via patches that were done - if you think you see them on ebay or the like, please give me a shout and let me know.

All my horses are now rugged again due to the kindness of my neighbours and we are putting cctv cameras in this afternoon!!!
Jude.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
What utter bastards to take horses rugs off.
I would register a search on ebay of the descriptions (size and manufactuers name) and it will email you every time one of that description gets advertised. You may just pick up the thief that way. Also keep an eye on ad trader, many rugs go via that.
I know you are putting cameras in but also try my rape alarm trick, you fasten it to a door or gate out of sight, use fishing line to fasten the pin to a nail which you hook the line round when you leave each night. When the gate opens the pin comes out and the sound is incredible. Mine is still working after 20 years on the same battery!
It only takes a couple of seconds to fix and it saved me having 20 saddles taken when my riding school was burgled. (they came back for a second go once I had time to replace them. )
We tend to write the horse's name in huge indelible ink letters on the outside of the rug , or the farm's initials.
What sort of person would remove an outdoor rug on a night like last night? I bet you wish you could get your hands on them.. (visions of naked people tied to trees in a storm overnight sounds a suitable punishment to start with)

appyjude

Visit site
You are so right I wish I could get my hands on them.....we have now marked the rugs I have been given with the postcode and a little something else that we know about......

Hope you find your trailer too....I like the rape alarm idea, will have to give that one a go!

Jude

appyjude

Visit site
Care to share.....well not exactly but we will give the Police something to check for that would prove we owned them.

Thanks S, I have been loaned turnouts by very nice neighbours for those that are out 24/7 - I had some stable rugs that were in my washing for cleaning so still have them and had just purchased a new rug for one of my mares. The loss is not so much the rugs - it is the only worn a couple of times show sheet that my old gelding (RIP) wore at his one and only 1st place lineup 6 years ago - worth a couple of pounds in monetary value to anyone, not even inscribed but I knew it was his and he wore it and the fleeces, underrugs, etc - that meant that I could purchase the less expensive light weight rugs and layer....

Jude.

appyjude

Visit site
Thanks for all the offers of help folks, it really is so appreciated and the moral support has been wonderful. We have made a huge list of what went for the police and I am just gutted at the amount of things they took.

Still at least they didn't take/hurt the horses.

Thanks again for all the assistance.

Jude.

appyjude

Visit site
Just an update, we are sorted for rugs for the time being....many thanks to all those who offered or looked for rugs for us. A friend went to the SWHP open day on Sunday and was able to purchase good rugs from them in many different sizes and help them in doing so. I have also made a donation to them in return for some rugs that were given to me.

Again, thanks so much for your assistance and support.

Jude.

molehill

Visit site
like you said,at least the horses are ok.
Several years ago now,i had a quad pinched from my yard in broad daylight.My horse was tuned out in the yard as well,due to being on limited turn out due to injury.The yard gate went out directly on to a road(luckily a quiet one)When they took the quad they left the gate open,and my horse got out.Some people have no thought for animals.

appyjude

Visit site
We have done what we can and now, every day, I carry my portable stable gear/rug room/feed room in the back of my not-so-large mazda......I wonder if there's a law about not being able to see out at all due to horse rugs?
shocked.gif
smirk.gif

ironhorse

Visit site
Thanks for the info Jude, we're in Warwickshire and had all our rugs taken 2 winters ago, and have now locked my replacement heavyweight securely in the lorry...even if it is a pain to have to go and fetch it.
American Quarter Horse turned out in thin rug = not happy bunny. Hope the stable rugs are OK, they'd have to be brave to try and take them off her!!!!!

appyjude

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
...American Quarter Horse turned out in thin rug = not happy bunny. Hope the stable rugs are OK, they'd have to be brave to try and take them off her!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, careful then I have several of the not so little darlings of the AQH variety and a couple of the spotted ones to boot - the only one who is happy without a rug is the one who can least afford to be without one......typical!
smirk.gif
wink.gif

Jude