Rug washing business

dido31

New User
Has anyone set up a rug washing business ? I’m looking for some advice as to whether it’s worth doing, how to price it ( based in Surrey/hants border) How to promote it and dealing with any issues I might incur. Also insurance cover for any damage to rugs ??
thanks in advance!

Gloi

HOW many other rug washing businesses are in your area. What do they charge. There are lots round here and I think the market is pretty saturated so you would have to do something to be better than the ones already running.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Collection and delivery service is useful. You'll need to factor in likely distances though. Maybe speak to some YO, see if you can put up a card at their card, do a regular pick-up/drop-off.

I can't remember what we used to pay.

Gloi

Just checked and the one I use is £17/14 for horse/pony turnout wash and proof and £8/6 for stable rug wash including pickup and delivery up to 60 miles. Reminds me I need some doing. Repairs are pretty cheap too

dido31

New User
Thanks everyone! I do have a friend who would be happy to do repairs and I’d be happy doing a collection drop off obviously for more than 1 rug though.
Any ideas on type of insurance to cover any possible damage to rugs ?
Also I’m looking for ideas for a business name if anyone’s got any...!

Gloi

Tiddlypom

Prices charged by a rug wash local to me. I haven’t used them, but I know folks who do, and they seem pleased with the results. The outfit I use charges slightly more, but the drop off point is more convenient for me.

Rug wash and repairs established 18 years

Turnout wash and reproof £14
LW turnout wash and reproof £10
Stable £7
Fleece / fly £5
Numnah £2
Set travel boots £4
Waterproof fly wash and reproof £10

Most rugs washed reproofed and repaired for under £20
Rugsafe products used giving excellent waterproofing

As a customer, I would want to know what brand of cleaning and proofing products a rug wash used. IMHO Nikwax is a good brand.

asmp

I think our local rug washer has contracts with big yards (some of them racing) plus the local tack shops - they are the bread and butter of the business.

The Fuzzy Furry

Resident irriot
Has anyone set up a rug washing business ? I’m looking for some advice as to whether it’s worth doing, how to price it ( based in Surrey/hants border) How to promote it and dealing with any issues I might incur. Also insurance cover for any damage to rugs ??
thanks in advance!
Doesnt Jan the rug lady cover that area? I know Rokers take in the drop offs for her etc and she does have a very good reputation for reproofing and repairs, Chobham Rider take in repairs and for rug cleaning, Ripley laundrette takes in for rug washing etc, that's 3 well known ones within 5 miles of each other.

OP, its def worth checking on the local equine Facebook pages as there are quite a few in the area

[131452]

Out to Pasture
If you do decide to go for it, I would strongly recommend that you collect payment before rug is collected/returned. A few local rug washes I've chatted to have had difficulty collecting payment after they've delivered the rugs back. Some people sadly have no shame.

Quigleyandme

I think you would need to offer a professional standard repair service too. I washed and re-proofed some rugs that the youngsters have outgrown using Nikwax products this year and it is an expensive enterprise so the margins must be quite small when doing it commercially.

Quigleyandme

If you do decide to go for it, I would strongly recommend that you collect payment before rug is collected/returned. A few local rug washes I've chatted to have had difficulty collecting payment after they've delivered the rugs back. Some people sadly have no shame.
I know people will often not collect (or pay for) their laundered rugs until they need them which can be months after they dropped them off.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
I think you would need to offer a professional standard repair service too. I washed and re-proofed some rugs that the youngsters have outgrown using Nikwax products this year and it is an expensive enterprise so the margins must be quite small when doing it commercially.
I did repairs, briefly and a long time ago. To get some rugs back to a decent condition took time and effort often beyond what was really economically viable.