Rug weights question....

Do you prefer...

• Total voters

Tempi

Visit site
well as ive got two this is what they are each wearing:

Bloss:
MW mark todd with hood in field during the day
Stable at night MW William Funnell with hood+thermatex leg wraps.

She had a full clip but is mega hairy as its all grown back and is being clipped out again tomorrow (full clip). After tomorrow she will be wearing her 450g premier equine turnout during the day and her 400g mark todd at night both with hoods.

Archie is fully clipped:
Mark tobb MW with hood and a full neck underrug with a 200g filling during the day.
Premier equine 'stable buster' 450g at night.

Neither of them are ever sweaty when i bring them in in the evening or when i take their rugs off in the morning. obviously if the weather gets milder then they will have thinner rugs on. but at the moment they are both very comfortable
smile.gif

Chex

Visit site
Chex is still out 24/7 unclipped. He's pretty much unrugged, but has had a rug on if its been really freezing, and he had one on last night as it was chucking it down and pretty cold. If he wasn't so damn fat he would have a rug on more!

cosmo_sam

www.cosmohorse.com
George has a hunter clip and is out in the day in a medium weight outdoor (no neck), and in at night with a HW (no neck).

As the temp drops I'll be upping him to his MW o/d full neck, and HW i/d with neck.

Eventually building to his HW o/d with full neck.

smile.gif

George is a VERY good doer btw.

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
Mine has been in 24/7 for 3 weeks due to an abscess,
it was his 1st day out yesterday, and and bringing him in at night

if wasnt for the abscess he would probs still be out 24/7 except maybe for a few hours during the day if it was raining heavily for a bit of a break from the outdoors and a little nap

hes got a 200g fillied turnout (medium) on at the moment, as its not actually that cold yet

and has got a fleece on over night, though did have a proper stable rug on last week as esier for my mum to do (i had to go into hospital), as fleece is velcro and has 1 surcingle that goes all the way round his body, and can be quite awkward especially as mum in non horsey

RobinHood

Visit site
Bailey is fully clipped and out 24/7 in a heavyweight.

Sparrow is fully clipped and out 24/7 in a medium weight rhino wug.

Hänsel and Chester both have 'apron clips' and are out naked because they are fat and hairy (NF and haflinger).

Robin the fat hairy tb is unclipped and out 24/7 in a lightweight combo.

The weather has been pretty miserable the last few days so I've been paranoid about checking that they're all warm enough. The unclipped fatties are always the warmest and bailey won the coldest ears competition
tongue.gif

Heidi1

Visit site
Based my answers on one of my horse, but all four are rugged the same, two are clipped out, one with high chaser and the other has full coat. One with a full coat has medium standard neck, others have full necks on and are happy......

terrierliz

Visit site
Mines out 24/7 unless it is really wet and then I feel sorry for him and he comes in at night! If it's been freezing he's had a medium weight on otherwise a lightweight. Out naked if I'm about and it's warm enough!

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
Mine is clipped with a sort of chaser clip but it goes further back (sorry, don't know the name). But she doesn't get furry anyway.

She is in at night in an underrug with a cooler over the top.

During the day she is out in a medium/heavy weight T/O. But only because this is the only T/O rug I have with a neck cover and our fields are like mud baths at the moment. Sorry horse, this is very lazy of me.
blush.gif

Stasha22

Visit site
Hmmm. I wonder if I over rug? My unclipped mare is out during the day in a Mark Todd HW turnout with neck and in at night wearing a summer sheet and HW Rhino Plus stable rug (have swapped from a Horseware under rug plus to the sheet this week as it has been mild).

She doesn't seem too hot so maybe she feels the cold?

vicm2509

Visit site
Baron has a full clip, I did it about a month ago so hes due another now, his legs are still on though.

He is out in the day and has a MW Landa on with full neck.

At night he is in and has HW Mark Todd on.

I am clipping him again next week and he will then have his HW on during the day.

Halfstep

Visit site
Mine is fully clipped (actually the clip has grown out and I'm doing him again this weekend), out during the day and an in at night. Yesterday he was out in his medium weight weatherbeeta half neck, and in his Bucas full neck heavy weight at night. Today he is out in the Bucas as it is raining, and he will wear it at night as well. He is never sweaty in the Bucas - fab rug.

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Mine is clipped, out for a morning or afternoon today and has a Mark Todd Heavyweight with a thinish polywarm underneath...wimpy warmblood

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
My three are all out 24/7 until the end of the month. My tb x is out in a lightweight combo at the moment, she is not clipped but doesnt grow much coat. The other two natives are unclipped and unrugged. When they start coming in at night the TB will have a jaspa lite or nothing, depending on the temp and has a medium weight for when it is realy cold. The natives both have a fleece which I pop on to help dry them out if they come in wet, as soon as they are dry they come off. The unrugged ponies are always the warmest.

maddielove

Visit site
maddie's living out with a blanket clip.
she has on her medium weight[220g] with a neck cover,
but the temperature is hanging round 5 during the day at the moment so i put on her under rug[110g] so she's pretty much got on a heavyeweight now.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I am still using my summer turnouts when they are out - it still is not that cold.

Cairo has a blanket but with the bum left on, he is still working his lw rug when out and a lw rug when in. On the few days recently it went down to -2 he had his lw and a mw rug on at night.

Chancer is chaser clipped and is still in lw rug during the day and lw at night and again when -2 had a mw rug on.

Both are nice and warm without being hot - if they get too warm they itch and scratch like mad.

celia

Visit site
Mine's unclipped, out all day and in at night.

She has LW turnout on - no fill just keeping wind/rain out and has just started having LW stable rug on at night. She's a Welshie though and quite chubby atm
blush.gif
so stays pretty warm!