Rugged horses in the heat

meleeka

Visit site
There are a couple of natives in my road (one old) with m/w combos on today. The owner claims to visit twice a day so I don’t think there’s any excuse to leave them on. We are in the South so it’s been 23 degrees here today. These ponies until recently had two rugs on that were far too big for them. I’ve never seen seen the owner remove rugs while she’s there and last year when they were finally taken off the poor ponies had large matts of hair where they’d moulted.

I think it is a welfare issue and the owner must just either be stupid or lazy, or both. I’m not sure what can be done though if they have food and water.

scats

Visit site
My girls were urugged and sweaty and uncomfortable this evening.
Poor Diva just doesn’t do heat and today’s temperature came as a shock to her system.

I spent the evening cold sponging her off and getting her mane off her neck.

willhegofirst

Visit site
I have a Connie, part clipped, he is a devil to keep weight on in the winter, so I have different weight rugs depending on the temperature. He does feel the cold, but will also start to rub on trees if he gets too hot under a rug. He was naked for the first time this year today. If it's very wet in the summer he will shiver. So I think it very much depends on the horse.

sport horse

Visit site
You know that isn't what they meant. Yards are always full of people who know half a story and think they know best. Concentrate on your own horses.

I do concentrate on my own horses and I am lucky they live in my own yard and I have no liveries.
However today I drove down the road and had the pleasure of seeing an unclipped gypsy cob wearing a winter weight new zealand. Temperature on car thermometer read 27c. Poor b.... horse. Rest assured I gave them the benefit of doubt today as it was the first warm day but it is a livery yard and if I see it again I will have a polite word, as indeed I would if something was starved, left hobbled on an airfield in sub zero with no food/water(yes that has happened near here a few years ago)
Those of us who actually like animals and have knowledge should try to ensure that suffering does not happen around us while we 'mind our own business'.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
My naked & still slightly woolly Exmoor was sweating when I brought him in tonight. Shedding like you would not believe, so ridden in walk only, til I can get this coat off. (Ok, I did one short trot, to remind myself he wasn't going to send me skywards).

Antw23uk

Visit site
I left my fully clipped (everything off two weeks ago) mare out naked last night which felt a bit weird but it was too warm to rug when i left at 1830 and I really couldnt be fussed walking back down in the dark when i thought about it about 2100 last night!

My suspicion was right about the neighbour ... mares been in a heavyweight since the first leaf fell off the tree last year and was in that rug all day yesterday and was sweating! I phoned the yard owner who came down and took it off and will have a word with the owner. I didnt quiet trust myself to call her myself because i was furious! Mares been rugged for so long she didnt even have a winter coat!!!

wiglet

Visit site
I'm on a full livery yard of around 36 horses. It was glorious here yesterday and all the horses were turned out naked... apart from 4. I asked the YO why they had rugs on (lightweights but all with necks) and she said the owners had specified rugs on and although she would monitor the situation, she does as requested. Think she's going to suggest they have fly rugs on rather than turnouts - will see what happens.

Fools Motto

Visit site
All by one of our 17 are naked now. One wears a thin stable rug as in at night, others live out. Light sheet on elderly little precious pony out at night, naked in day. It will have to be consistently a tad warmer for him to be naked. (He is an exception to any rule!)
One of our ponies got so hot today that she rolled out on a ride! She just couldn't help it. She needs to moult faster!!!

sport horse

Visit site
It is quite scary that a considerable number of horse owners are so concerned about a bit of mud to brush off their horse that they completely overlook the welfare aspect. A dandy brush or rubber curry comb soon removes the mud - ok the horse may notlook so sleek and shiny but who cares so long as it is healthy.

Perhaps we should offer the owners of rugged horses in fields today the chance to spend the day in a nice big fur coat and see how warm they get!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
So you think that over rugged horses and owners not getting to a yard until mid morning is ok?

"I would like to think their owners would be removing them as we're forecast temperatures of over 20 degrees today but it's a DIY yard and they're all out 24/7 now so no guarantee when their owners will be up to check on them".

The OP was commenting of what might happen, & what might not happen. She had no firm information & in my view was making a post up out of nothing. Unfortunately yards are full of people giving their opinion to others on the yards when the opinion is not sought or wanted. This is one of the main causes of discord on a yard. Keep opinions to yourself on a yard unless there is something blatantly dangerous or a severe welfare issue. Don't wade in when you are commenting on something that has not & may well not happen.

Gallop_Away

Visit site
I think common sense is the key but to an extent I agree people can be quick to judge without knowing the full story.
We have 3 horses. One is a native welsh pony. He lives out 24/7 unrugged. This is the pony that lives on fresh air. His winter coat would rival that of the most expensive heavy weight rug. He HATES being rugged. Does nothing but bite and rub himself raw. Yet I have been called a cruel neglectful owner for not rugging him.
My mare is a Welsh Section D and usually has a chaser clip through the winter. She is stabled at night and I will usually opt on the lightest weight rug possible for the weather conditions. Shes been out naked for the last week or so (as difficult as that is for me as she's a palomino and is especially fond of mud :p )
My hubby's horse is a thoroughbred and is a complete WIMP! He drops weight at the slightest sign of cold weather. He is in a rain sheet at the slightest sign summer rain as he gets rainscald even through the summer months. Again we have been told we are cruel for leaving him rugged in the summer. Given the choice between a sore bald backed horse, and a putting a thin fly sheet on him, I know which is worse!
Its just proof that you will always have people criticising you. You just need to do what is right for your horse :)

Hallo2012

Visit site
ive got naked ponies today! first time in years ive got not 1 but 2 that wont be too cold, get bitten to death immediately, or get rainscald if it rains! i suspect one is going to need a fly rug as soon as the flies start to breed in earnest,as he has a few old scabby bites that have taken all winter to properly heal and i dont want more, but the other one never seemed to get bitten when we first had him (last Sept) so hopefully he can be a nudist for a bit longer.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Mine was wearing a summer sheet as soon as it got over 8 degrees at night and went naked last night for the first time (it was 12c), prior to that she was going out in the paddock in a light weight (no fill) rug or with a neck when raining/windy due to neck arthritis.

She had yesterday and today out naked in the field and will have no rug on tonight either stabled as 14c - 10c over night lows. Its horses for courses and everyone is different I guess.

Asha

Visit site
Mine was wearing a summer sheet as soon as it got over 8 degrees at night and went naked last night for the first time (it was 12c), prior to that she was going out in the paddock in a light weight (no fill) rug or with a neck when raining/windy due to neck arthritis.

She had yesterday and today out naked in the field and will have no rug on tonight either stabled as 14c - 10c over night lows. Its horses for courses and everyone is different I guess.

slightly off topic, but what symptoms did your horse with neck arthritis display ?

xDundryx

Visit site
My two are naked and sweating (TBs with blanket clips half grown out) they seem to be clinging onto what winter coat they had just in case the beast from the east makes a comeback (a bit like me with my winter chubb, completely unprepared for removing layers!)

ShowJumperL95

Visit site
"I would like to think their owners would be removing them as we're forecast temperatures of over 20 degrees today but it's a DIY yard and they're all out 24/7 now so no guarantee when their owners will be up to check on them".

The OP was commenting of what might happen, & what might not happen. She had no firm information & in my view was making a post up out of nothing. Unfortunately yards are full of people giving their opinion to others on the yards when the opinion is not sought or wanted. This is one of the main causes of discord on a yard. Keep opinions to yourself on a yard unless there is something blatantly dangerous or a severe welfare issue. Don't wade in when you are commenting on something that has not & may well not happen.

Over rugging a horse is a severe welfare issue.....

buzyizzy

Visit site
Mine were both clipped last autumn and the elderly one didn't grow a very thick winter coat, so it's only last week that he's gone into a waterproof or naked during the day. He hasn't been hot or sweaty underneath. He's had a thermotex on at night, again not hot. The last couple of days he has been naked during the day and a very thin rug at night. Tonight he will be naked in his stable. Only had a very low blanket clip.
The bog horse was totally clipped out but has grown a slightly thicker than summer coat back, so he has been treated the same way. I don't understand all this over rugging either, or the fact that a lot of people don't seem to realise that they need more in a stable than in a field.

R2D2

Visit site
Ours are still in at night at the moment, as their field is so wet. Several people put their horses out with rugs on this morning. I feel for them. Mine was sweating, just stood in the sun, naked, and I was too hot mucking out in a T shirt. I really don't get it!

TwyfordM

Visit site
It's 27 in Kent, not a cloud in the sky and the unclipped horses are sweating naked. My cushings horse is shedding like nobodies business and it usually takes her til June to loose her coat... So yes rugging in anything but a fly sheet is cruel today

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I concede that mine was sweating today by lunch in his rainsheet when I had a hack out with the lady I get to come ride the pony. But he sweats in the field anyway and enjoyed a lovely hose pre and post hack. Not seen him since but guessing my grey is now bay.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Mine were definitely warm today with no clothes on :eek: the welsh was just a little sweaty in the crease on her neck where she was grazing... the WB was a sweaty mess from galloping round the field bucking like an idiot :D Handy in a way, she was tired and therefore well behaved when I rode :p

rachk89

Visit site
I love this time of year. Means no more rug destructions. He has nothing on anymore and is clipped and he won't get anything unless it rains a lot.

asmp

Visit site
Our two were enjoying no rugs today in the sun and having a snooze flat out in the field. Two women knocked on the farmers door as they were concerned about them!

TreeDog

Visit site
I should have known this would start a big discussion!

I do agree that it does depend on the individual animals. And of course what your fields are like, ie sheltered paddock vs exposed hillside. Unfortunately some owners don't check their horses all that often, when they do it can be at a distance over the fence. And when stabled sometimes don't arrive until 10-11am (or later), for a horse that's been in since 5pm. It's a shame, I think this puts off a lot of yards from offering DIY at all.
I fully understand how annoying it is when people stick their noses where it's not wanted, and I guess these posts must be annoying for those of you who have horses that genuinely do struggle to keep warm.

All but one horse was naked this morning, and the one that was rugged was also naked when I went back up this evening. Mine has been sweating and when I brought him up for his dinner he was so keen for his salt lick (usually ignored) that he was practically biting chunks off.

Boulty

Visit site
I think it's a very individual thing. I have a Welsh D who is trace clipped and who goes out overnight. He really feels the cold and in the horrid snow he ended up in about 500g worth of rugs in total (I don't own a rug that heavy as never needed to so had to layer!) as he was shivering, losing weight and miserable in any less. He was shivering a few weeks ago when I walked him to the mounting block with no exercise sheet in about 9 or 10 degrees with light drizzle just to give you an idea of how badly he tolerates being just a bit cold / wet. He's been intermittently naked during the day for the past few weeks depending on the weather and had his first naked night last night & is naked again tonight. Basically he's the coldest horse I know so if he's warm enough with no rug probably 90% of the not fully clipped equine population is likely to also be ok (but I'd guess it is awkward with fully clipped out horses as without any hair to protect the skin the flies must be a nightmare and paler ones may also I guess be at risk of sunburn so can understand leaving a rainsheet or flyrug on them and they also probably would still need something on overnight) Having said that I don't think I've ditched the rug for good yet (tbh with him the rainsheet tends to make the odd random appearance right though Summer anyway as he's pretty intolerant of being cold and wet and is generally a bit of a useless native pony!)

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I can vaguely remember hot summer days (2015) when my much missed old horses would find the heat uncomfortable. When I came home from work I'd take their fly sheets off, put the hose on the mist setting and shower them until my arm was dropping off or until they had enough and would shamble off for a roll in the dust.

popsdosh

Visit site
I love the rug debate its very simple for me ,I dont posses any now. All my breeding stock live naked all the year round as nature intended . My view on overugging horses is very straight forward it is 100 times the issue of a cold horse. At least a cold horse can rectify that itself easily!!! A horse that is rugged in this heat will just cook from the inside out. It is the first time I can remember horse racing being disrupted by high temps. Horses have just not acclimatised to the raised temps.