rugging foals in winter

elizabeth1

Visit site
is it a good idea to put turn out rugs on foals?I will be leaving my foal with her mum until spring as she will not be six months until late December.I would like them out as much as possible-we are on sandy soil with good grass and sheltered fields.

Three

Visit site
My mare and her foal lived out all winter without rugs but with a good sturdy field shelter.

She was born in July so wasn't 6 months until January. She's an IDxTb x WB so is fairly robust though. This was taken in March.

DSC01605.jpg

rosencassie

Visit site
i've been told to not rug a foal up, so that it makes them hardier, but if they are out during the whole winter it wont hurt to have a lightweight on, especially if its a typical -5 british night

S_N

Visit site
It's not the temperature that can cause problems, it's the wet! A LW rug would do relatively little to keep a horse warm in -5C, it will keep it dry however.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I carefully rugged my two youngsters when they were foals...took the legstraps off the foal rugs, cautiously waited for the mad bucking.
Nothing happened.
I slapped leg straps on the pair of them and they were both completely unfazed. I left them in a standard neck MW out all year (with only natural shelter) if that helps? They are Tb x Bavarian, and a Shire x Tb.
S
smile.gif

elizabeth1

Visit site
I'll rug her up then.She will come in if the weather gets too dire as
she is 7/8 tb .
Next question-she is likely to mature at 16.2 plus-an old fashioned chaser type.What size foal rug is she likely to need?
Thanks for all your help so far

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'll rug her up then.She will come in if the weather gets too dire as
she is 7/8 tb .
Next question-she is likely to mature at 16.2 plus-an old fashioned chaser type.What size foal rug is she likely to need?
Thanks for all your help so far

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell what size rug your foal will need - but suggest that you don't buy it until well through autumn, when she has her winter coat. I'd also suggest that you measure her (centre of chest to line parallel with top of tail) and then add at least 3 if not 6 inches to the rug you buy. Don't buy it early, or it may be outgrown before you use it
grin.gif

They grow at an amazing speed at that age...so buy something adjustable at the front. You often get decent second hand rugs on eBay etc as people like me, whose youngsters outgrew them, sell them.
S
grin.gif

KarynK

Visit site
Always rug mine to keep the rain off them (bloody weather). Have found they don't need filling in as in their first winter's coat is quite dense but that makes them prone to rain scald. Besides I'm tight and prefer to feed the horse to grow and not to keep warm in the rain.

Trouble is most foal rugs don't go big enough and are almost always filled!! And in pony rugs the necks are too big!! Argh

The added benefit is education in that it is good handling for later life having a rug on and off at an early age.