Rugging - horse has wound on belly

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
All in the title really.
My horse is slowly recovering from abdominal surgery - I hope - and has a pretty horrid wound on her belly.
I've not clipped her - she is an Irish cob so is a hardy mare and she goes out in her paddock without a rug.
I've rugged her tonight in her stable as its so cold. The surcingles are tied to the side and it is fitted relying on the back leg straps.
I'm not too sure what to do in the field though. I'm reluctant to use the surcingles - could hurt her / damage whatever healing is going on. But if I don't the whole thing could blow about and she could get caught up in it.
Any knowledge of surcingles free rugs? Or any other advice would be gratefully received friends xx

Mrs G

Visit site
Ouchy, sending healing vibes to your mare! I would prob go without a rug too; let her grow a nice thick coat and keep her warm from the inside out by feeding lots and lots of fibre X

be positive

Visit site
As she is allowed out and the wound is complicated, there is a post in vets about it, then I would risk using the surcingles as they are unlikely to do any real harm, no more than she could do rolling, maybe wrap some vet wrap round or put them through a girth sleeve to reduce rubbing and you will be able to use clean each day, if she is too cold without a rug that will not help her recovery as she will either be running about or hunched up trying to keep warm neither will do her any good, hope she is doing ok.

SuperH

Visit site
I would get/make a belly pad and slide it over the surcingles if she really needs rugging. I also like the idea of the girth sleeve above, that could work well. Hope she is better soon.

Orangehorse

Visit site
You used to be able to get a turnout rug called a Kiwi Rug, I had one. It was canvass, deeper than normal and only had a front fastening and leg straps, no sursingle at all. It stayed in place just fine, and my horse used to gallop round the field and roll every morning. I don't know if they are available still.

Boulty

Visit site
One option may be to use a few sheepskin girth sleeves to stop the surcingles rubbing. Another may be to trying replacing them with the old fashioned elastic strap type surcingle designed to go around old rugs without cross surcingles strategically placed away from the wound area. You could look at not crossing them over alternatively as depending on size of wound this may mean that there is less contact with the wound. I'd say in the wind we've been having that something would be needed to stop rug blowing up though

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
You used to be able to get a turnout rug called a Kiwi Rug, I had one. It was canvass, deeper than normal and only had a front fastening and leg straps, no sursingle at all. It stayed in place just fine, and my horse used to gallop round the field and roll every morning. I don't know if they are available still.

I have one of these and still use it all the time, no idea if you can still buy them new though as it came with my old pony many years ago.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Many years ago my first horse had a jute rug (it came with him upon purchase). Instead of surcingles, a roller kept it in place with a piece of sponge across his wither to stop rubbing. He had a wool blanket underneath it. I soon saved up enough pennies to buy him a new stable rug; it was such a faff putting that blanket on and folding it back over the jute rug then securing it in place with the roller.

I'm not sure if a roller would be far enough forward to stop any rubbing to the affected abdominal area, but it's just an idea?

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
,,,,,,,, I would go for a light rainsheet rather than something heavy and use a tail string as well to keep it stable.
I am not sure if a roller would work, to some extent they were kept in place with the underug, shouls not need foam as they ar padded either side of spine.

Last edited:

Tnavas

Visit site
Any cover should stay in place without belly straps so long as it has leg straps. Loop the straps through each other to ensure it stays straight.

I actually cut off all belly straps since finding my young horse on three legs with the fourth caught in his belly strap. We've only had belly straps for a decade or so - horses managed perfectly fine before then without belly straps, though some NZ rugs had a surcingle - which again I cut off as they run the risk of giving the horse a sore back.

Cobbytype

Visit site
,,,,,,,, I would go for a light rainsheet rather than something heavy and use a tail string as well to keep it stable.
I am not sure if a roller would work, to some extent they were kept in place with the underug, shouls not need foam as they ar padded either side of spine.

Oh well bonkers - the rug didn't fit him and he had a very flat wither, hence the sponge. I just did what the dealer told me to do; I was young and inexperienced. I still have the Lavenham I bought him all these years later - they don't make em like they used to:)

Tnavas

Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by Orangehorse

I have one of these and still use it all the time, no idea if you can still buy them new though as it came with my old pony many years ago.

They are alive and well and still being made in their country of origin - New Zealand.

The best covers ever, breathable, pure wool linings for winter - Jute for summer or for the showies, as jute is awesome at polishing the coat and also removing winter coat. Some such as those made by Graves in Oamaru shaped to fit extremely well, with varying sized necks and gussets for high withers. Graves have covers that are perfect for TB's - no rubbed withers. Their only drawback is the weight when wet. One of mine could stand up unaided when wet.

I'd rather have them though than synthetic any day.

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I was of the 'no rug' persuasion but she could get v cold at night and needs the best she can get from her feed.
Although she's far from skinny!
I'm going to get her a rug with a full belly flap I hope. That will keep her warm and me hopefully happy.
Thanks to those who recall her from the Vets post. So kind of you! She is doing well has had a letting of pus (a good thing) and we are hanging in there. I am hoping we can get by major problem free till next vet visit 16/12. I still plan the vet conference if even the most minor downward turn. Wing n a prayer xx