rugging ........rant

fuggly

Visit site
this has probably been done to death but ....it has hit 19 degrees here today , why oh why are horses still out in the rugs they had when it was minus , i really want to get their owners and dress them in full winter togs and sit them in the sun ,after i've shaken them , someone i know asked me if it was going to be nice now cos she was going to take her hairy cobs rug off it doesn't normally come off til april WTF , i bit my lip and said it can always go back on if the weather turns but apparently that is too much effort !!!! why oh why some people ...... rant over and breathe

fuggly

Visit site
there are some horses in my area that have been in the same rugs since oct morn noon and night , i cannot get my head around it i have spent 90%of this winter changing rugs due to the temp fluctuations and used all from rain sheets to 450g and now for the past few weeks lots of naked days and these are tbs and tbx's . some one the other day when it was 14 degrees was told her cob looked hot and uncomfortable she answered he shouldn't be it's only a 200g (200g necky ) arghhhhhh bang head

MagicMelon

Visit site
Its only 12 degrees here today but my horses rugs are all off because 12 degrees is pretty warm for up here (!) and its a nice dry day so why not. I always try to take my ones rugs off whenever I can though, cant be nice being in rugs all the time. I also change rugs by the day - I've just brought out their spring ones today for example (its been too cold up until now to take them out of their MW's). So from now on they'll either be naked, wear a no fill rug or a 200g one - depending on the day.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Know exactly what you mean. We have one on ours that's often rugged to the point of sweating. Owner doesn't think his sweat rash & itching was that bad, its apparently preferable to him being cold. Luckily he's now started shredding all rugs & is a lot happier.

mil1212

Visit site
Agree, there is a horse and a shetland in the field next door who have had their rugs on permanently - but bizarrely rugs didnt go on until after our little cold snap.... Mine are fully clipped and are naked today, even got brave and let my coloured roll with out a rug :D

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
Each to their own really. Don't agree with heavyweight combo's on in this weather but a standard neck no fill sheet shouldn't make them too warm. Mine are naked but I did consider keeping my rideable ones L/W on purely to keep him clean. But hey, its only mud, it will come off!

fuggly

Visit site
"even got brave and let my coloured roll with out a rug"

i have 17hh of mostly white coloured , i didn't clip him this year so he has had lots of naked days , well i say naked he was mostly covered with a layer of mud :) i don't mind but it ment i had to groom practically every night in case a rug was needed the next day :(

Jesstickle

Visit site
BH isn't naked today even though it's warm. He was fully clipped on Thursday having spent the winter mostly furry. He's got a fleece and a no fill on. He did go out for a roll naked this morning but I think the whole day and he'd have been chilly. He's not a brave soul.

Most be lucky on my yard as nearly everything is naked today :)

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
why oh why are horses still out in the rugs they had when it was minus , i really want to get their owners and dress them in full winter togs and sit them in the sun

Drives me nuts too. We were at minus 10 in some areas only about a month ago, now we are plus 15, that is a 25 degree difference, drives me nuts to see people not adjusting rugs, poor horses, overheating is dangerous

smiggy

Visit site
Yep my livery has her poor unclipped horse with a heavy weight full neck rug on 24/7. Madness IMHO
Even our thin skinned fully clipped Arab is out naked this afternoon (will be rugged tonight as gets cold) others naked except for my white grey hippo who has a rain sheet, sorry but can't bear the constant filth!

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Went out on a hack today and passed soooo many horses with rugs on, and many with neck rugs. They were clearly not no-fill, and a lot of them were native pony / horse types. What planet are these people on?! It's a pet peeve of mine, I hate the thought of mine getting too hot, and would rather have them cooler rather than hot.

Supertrooper

Visit site
Ours are naked as I like them out as much as poss with no rugs. Like them to have sun on their backs and I know how hot I'd be with a rain coat on xx

little_critter

Visit site
I agree - there a quite a few horses on our yard that I think are over rugged. One of them had an under rug with full neck and another (filled) rug on top..in a stable.
I was happily poo picking in a tee shirt!
I know each to their own but really - that's too much.
I don't say anything because I'm the least experienced person on the yard.

My other gripe is that I was always taught to let your horse cool down properly before you feed them.
Many people on the yard finish riding and the first thing they do after they've untacked is feed their horse (hard feed).

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think it can be quite difficult at this time of year though, especially when working. It was rather cold and foggy here early this morning but very different by lunchtime!

Milanesa

Visit site
Oh OP a woman after my own heart! What is wrong with people! I have posted about rugging before too it is mad I dont know what planet some people are on. I much prefer mine to be rugless and kept as naturally as possible.

Elsbells

Visit site
I'm always the last to rug in the winter(after clip) and the first to get them off and I too hate seeing horses with their heads hanging in the heat.

If a horse is cold it will clamp it's tail down, run about a lot and eat for Britain to keep warm. If over rugged they will suffer skin rashes, they will itch, sweat, roll a lot and become lethargic and FAT!

At least under rugged they can do something to keep warm, over rugged, they can do nothing but suffer it.

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
Ive put mine back into a medium weight about 2 month ago,but our feild is right on top a hill and gets a horrible bitter wind but if the weathers gonna stay warm like it is tomorrow hes going out in lightweight! Some clowns on are yard have had lightweight when it was really cold and heavy weights now!! Strange!

Fii

Visit site
I have been caught out twice recently with the Arabs rug, :(
One morning it was cold and foggy, so i left it on.....fog cleared and turned into a warm sunny day! The next day was cold and foggy so i thought it will turn out the same as day before so took it off! It bl00 dy stayed cold and foggy all day! :(
Any way last couple of days have been hot, so rug came off...and has stayed off, didnt even put it on for the night!!

Lintel

Visit site
I second that!
Only 12 degrees here today and my slightly wooly highland was roasting, him and his fellow highland spend the day wallowing in mud! (Much to mummy's disgrace!)

I am still seeing horses with full neck medium-weights on... Am I hallucinating?!

Fools Motto

Visit site
Totally agree OP.

Mine have been naked for weeks now, after started rugging early November. They prefer nakedness!

Sadly, my boss is a rugger up person. Several of the ponies are sadly wearing the wrong rugs now, they were the right ones several months ago! Drives me mad, but I've got used to 'pretending' not to notice. I don't have a say in the rug department.

Fii

Visit site
I have to say i think it is pure laziness on some peoples part, they just cant be bothered to take off a rug today if it means having to put it back on later!
I like to get the rug off as often as possible in winter, if the sun is out, even if its cold, but then he isnt clipped, although he doesnt have a thick coat!
The way i look at it (for mine) as long as it is not raining, or freezing wind, he is happier with it off

Last edited:

wattamus

Visit site
Mine has a 115 or a fleece on at night because she has turned into a sissy since her op but she is naked during the day and if the weather stays this good dhe'll be naked 24/7 by the end of this week :) just trying to wean her onto it, when she was at the vets they never took her rug off (apart from brushing) so she has become accustomed to it :p (fluffy bunny owner clearly :D)

Moomin1

Visit site
My mare who is chase clipped has been naked for two weeks now - day and night!! She hasn't disintegrated/exploded as many people seem to think their horses will do if they don't have ten layers of rugs on!!

It drives me mad to see horses out in even 10 degrees plus with hw rugs on - absolutely no need unless they are very underweight/ill etc.

Someone on a different thread the other week was SHOCKED that people were removing rugs when it was 'only' 14 degrees, and actually said hers had four rugs on which amounted to approx 600g and that the horse would shiver if she took any off!!! :eek:

Holly Hocks

Visit site
The only horses out on our yard today were my TB and NF and a friend's arab. Her other horse, the TBX was in a no fill sheet. All the rest, which are natives and cobs were rugged up to the eyeballs! Mine both came in with mud from their ears to their arse, but they both had a good groom and loads of hair came out, so I'm sure they feel better for it!