Rugging up?

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
Ok well i live in hampshire and its very suddenly started to get very cold down here. Atm rock is wearing a LW sheet in the field in the day and a thermatex in his stable at night but im starting to think maybe he needs more on at night, not sure though, so the quesiton is what are your horses wearing atm and what is the weather like where you are (mainly at night)

Skhosu

Visit site
unless he's clipped I would say he doesn't need anything else.
My horse has a MW on night/day because he's thin skinned, prone to losing condition and pathetic!
Native has nothing on.
OTher native who thinks he's a tb delicate flower has rain sheet when out and small rug at night.

Natalie_H

Visit site
My TB is out in the field unrugged! He hasn't been clipped yet though & has an exceptionally thick coat. I have always been told that they don't mind the cold (to a point). If it were windy, wet & cold he would be rugged up. He has a field shelter aswell.

Oaksflight

Visit site
MW when out in field, at the mo has two fleeces on in stable as haven't bought him a lightweight stable yet (I'm useless!). He's clipped though, just a trace at the mo. Oh and it's very chilly up here!

Skhosu

Visit site
fully clipped... our fully clipped has M/HW rugs on. Would be frozen otherwise. Temps range from 6-12 degrees. Wet and Windy.

sevenoceans

Visit site
i am in hampshire too... my boy's thin skinned TB and Hunter clipped he got sheet and mw poly warm (no neck) on tonight... last night he was sweating in thermatex and polywarm...

mine is fully clipped out and is wearing:
in stable: thermatex with an under rug with full neck on top of that and on top of that in the day a cotton sheet and at night a stable rug. also at night stable badages (although these are more for support than warmth!!!)
for turnout (1 hour a day) she has a HW rambo supreme with neck cover.............she's been rugged this way since she got clipped (about fortnight ago) but in the run up to being clipped she was wearing MW t/o with neck and thick stable rug.
mind, she started wearing a cotton sheet and LW t/o some time in august!!!!

Weezy

Visit site
Your horse is in a HW turn out already? What will you use in a month? Serious honest question, I find the amount of rugging people do facinating (I grew up in sunnier climes!)

JessPickle

Visit site
Pickle has got a blanket clip and at the moment

in stable at night: LW sheet thing.
Turnout in the day: LW normally, MW if its raining fairly hard,

I try to keep him in the lowest weight I can, as I have seen people who have caused there horses to ahve skin problems just from over rugging

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
Yeh i apply same theory as you jess, try to keep as light as possible. Hes a fairly hefty boy, ISH with plenty of weight on him atm and the barn hes in is completely protected as its an american style barn so the only thing hes subjected to is the temperature. I'm not v good at judging what rugs for when etc think will have to do some more research as to what people down here are wearing atm!

Allykat

Visit site
I find it amazing how many are rugged up in heavyweights already, and this is probably the warmest October we have had for a long time. What happens in the real depths of wither when the temp drops around 10 degrees overnight??

My 2 are currently unclipped and out overnight. My TB has a l/w on but only to stop him getting chewed to shreds by his friends. He had to come in to be stripped today as he was getting too hot
blush.gif

Natalie_H

Visit site
I am glad you said that as I was beginning to think I was the only one whose horse was still out 24hr & not rugged up!

Skhosu

Visit site
I never really put more than one rug on. Mine seem happy in their MW rugs all year from when it gets cold, and that's clipped or not.
I find those w/ more than one rug on are too warm and get grumpy.
Personally, I would rather stick w/ MW then go HW and then to underrugs as that's a lot of rugs!

seabiscuit

Visit site
I am not far from you-Honestly the weather is very bizzare at the moment- very very hot one night, then very cold the next, then back to hot again. Last night my boy (very thin skinned TB) had just a thermatex on(any more he would have been sweating)and was naked in daytime, whereas the night before he had a thick Heavy weight stable rug on, and then a few nights before that he only had a sheet on, &the night before that it was the Heavy weight rug again!

So very up and down temperatures at present- I would not make any set rules about how many rugs to put on just play it by ear and keep a sharp eye on the weather forecast- www.bbc.co.uk gives 24 hour forecast- so you can check the hourly temperatures and humidity throughout the night.

Sounds bizarre and OTT but I have learnt exactly how many rugs my boy will need for each groups of temperatures, humiditys and wind speeds.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Im varying depending upon the temperatures at the mo. We're having huge variations here (peak district) with it being around 11 degrees quite a few days last week (night time temps of about 5) and then other days, like yesterday, it was still 17 degrees at 6pm

When its below 14 degrees in the day time, my boy is out in his HW t/o. Like another poster said, if he needs it, I'll add extra liners to his t/o in winter. Above that he's out in a MW t/o. We're extremely exposed where he's stabled and the wind and rain has been terrible for the last week, hence he switched to the heavy turnout after being brought in cold on quite a few days.

Night time.. he's had a heavy weight stable rug on for a good month now and he's unclipped (but will stay unclipped). However, its been dropping to well below 10 degrees here when Im leaving the yard most nights so he's been having a full neck under rug on too.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Basically Im a bit like Seabiscuit and rug very much depending on the temperatures. Im pretty good now at gauging what kind of temperatures require what rugs to keep him warm.

That being said, there seems to be a huge variance in temperature country wide at the mo. My OH works in london and has been having like 19 degrees where as we've been battered by wind and rain and its felt god damn cold over the last week!

Tia

Visit site
Mine are all in MW turnouts. It isn't cold here but it has been raining on and off for the past couple of weeks and their coats were just getting soaked. I was concerned about rain scald so I decided to rug them.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Wellllllllllllllllllll when I say unclipped... we dont bother, despite the fact that he competes and is in full work, purely because he barely grows a coat. Even in heavy work he barely sweats up and since he feels the cold terribly to begin with, whipping his coat off for the sake of vanity seems a bit cruel (and it WOULD be vanity given how little fluff he gets)

But yup, unclipped and in HWs now - give or take a little depending on the odd freakishly warm day.

I openly admit to being on the extreme end of the scale in regards to rugging though!

seabiscuit

Visit site
Gracious, what a lot of rugging up some horses need!

Went to a racehorse training place in mid august this year in South Berks-it was hot hot hot all the horses had MW stable rugs on at night?????

Nari

Visit site
I seem to be putting different rugs on every day!

Today they were both turned out naked (both unclipped, one's an 8yo ID who's a bit of a wuss, the other's a 2yo sec D who so far seems quite tough) & the ID had a 150g polywarm on tonight but a couple of days ago the ID was turned out in a 170g turnout with neck cover & the sec D a rainsheet then stabled in a 340g polywarm (ID) & fleece (sec D). I'll be glad when the weather settles down!!

Weezy

Visit site
I dont agree with clipping for vanity sakes either - really pisses me off TBH!

I think your horse doesnt have a heavy coat due to the rugs
tongue.gif
But TBH thats not a bad way to manage him!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
My hann x TB has a trace clip & wears a light weight turnout during the day & has a fleece on in his stable at night. Should the weather get colder I'll have a re-think, he's got far more different types of rugs than I've got coats.
smile.gif