RUGGING YOUNGSTERS...ADVISE PLEASE

liveryblues

Visit site
Hi all, Advice & or experience appreciated! Have a young colt (7 months) he is stabled at night at the mo but I think he would be happier turned out 24/7. Have got him used to a light turn out in the stable, he really was very good about it but when I turned him out in it today ( for the first time in a rug) as soon as I let go he went full pelt round paddock obviously terrified of this scary montster on his back! I think the the filet string across him bum was the problem. Now I know youngsters can take a while to get accustomed to rugs but after watching him gallop flat out, fall over several times and even after catching him, calming him down then letting him off to do exactly the same thing I decided rather than risk injury I took the rug off.
So how long did it take your youngsters to settle in a rug?
I dont want to traumatise the little chap but I dont want to leave him to the elements 24/7, any advice welcome!

liveryblues

Visit site
Yes he is turned out with others & I have spent time in the stable with him getting him used to rug, He doesnt mind it in the stable, just dont want to see him injure himself in a blind panic, I thought as he has become so good with it in the stable it was time to turn out in it, back to the drawing board I guess!

liveryblues

Visit site
Yes, Have had him out of his stable walking round in it in hand & have trotted him up( well he kinda trots himself up & down) have taken our time about it over a couple of weeks & he seemed fine.
Just wondered how everyone elses youngsters coped when let loose?

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
My filly wasn't fussed at all, She was desensitised with bags, towels, rugs just basically chucked over quite aggressively .

How is he when he is put out without it on ?

Could you possibly put him out on a dry day (hard I know what with the weather we are having
smirk.gif
) let him have a sport about, without sweating up, Bring him in ....throw the rug over him and put him out .......

millitiger

Visit site
one of my youngsters ran through 2 post and rail fences the first time he was turned out with a rug.

he had been rugged in the stable, had the rug on it the manege, i had him on a lunge line in the field for 25 minutes and he was fine.

as soon as i let him go, he was off!

he was fine after that though so i'm not really sure what to advise!

Lill

Visit site
Does he really really need a rug though?
confused.gif

Merlin is 2 1/2yo and has not yet worn a rug in the field though i have got him used to wearing one by doing as Colleen Miss Tom suggests
smile.gif

liveryblues

Visit site
thanks for your suggestions, he is very sedate without rug, I guess I will keep going with the desensitisation (sp), although not sure what else as he if fine with it on in stable etc!

liveryblues

Visit site
Hi lil, yes I would like him to have a rug on if out 24/7, there is not much shelter in my field & I dont want him shivering weight off, Its only a rain sheet btw, no filling, just to keep the rain of his back really. Will keep trying over next few weeks.
smile.gif

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
thanks for your suggestions, he is very sedate without rug, I guess I will keep going with the desensitisation (sp), although not sure what else as he if fine with it on in stable etc!

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying bringing him outside and putting it on him, Slightly different atmosphere when outside, Especially if its windy .

How do you put the rug on him ?? Do you just throw it over ? Slowly put it on ? carefully ? etc ..... ?

Also another point to take into account .... Does it fit him well ? Do you use leg straps ? Perhaps a fillet string would be sufficent with a surcingle .

Surcingle will also get him used to a girth later on in life
wink.gif

eggs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Does he really really need a rug though?
confused.gif

Merlin is 2 1/2yo and has not yet worn a rug in the field though i have got him used to wearing one by doing as Colleen Miss Tom suggests
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts too. I never rug my foals unless they are ill and it is on vet's advice. They go out during the day and come into a barn at night.

liveryblues

Visit site
Hi eggs, As stated in the OP at the moment he is in at night & unrugged, He is unsettled in at night so I feel he would be better out 24/7, which is why I intend to rug him.