Rugging?

Cxitlynn__

New User
Visit site
Hi what temperatures would everyone suggest that different rugs comes out? For clipped and unclipped horses that will be living inside and outside..
Thanks

TGM

Visit site
As above, you need to look at the horse at the horse in front of you and how they are reacting to the weather conditions rather than relying on a chart. Temperature is also less of a factor than the amount of wind and rain - many unclipped horses can cope well with 'dry' cold in this country (given adequate forage), it is when it is wet and windy they are more likely to struggle.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Interesting that someone was brave enough to make a chart for it. I guess that does help to give some guidance, although it recommends rugging all horses when temperatures are below zero and I am definitely a bad owner in that case. :p

I agree with other posters that it depends on a huge number of factors. We no longer rug our own horses, not even when it got down to -13C a few winters ago (including mare who is primarily TB x KWPN), and they were fine but they have access to good shelter and 24/7 forage. However we now have an elderly loan pony and he will require rugging autumn onwards as he feels the cold. I don't think any guide can really be spot on and you just need to deal with the horse in front of you each day and try your best to recognise the indicators that they are too hot, too cold and so on.

Havital

Visit site
Like everyone has said each horse are so different in what they need rugging wise. I know my princess TB mare wouldn’t do well without a rug on if it’s was 10 degrees below!

Cxitlynn__

New User
Visit site
It’s hard to know because she’s only a yearling! She had to be clipped as when I rescued her she had lice… and a lot of them ?
She’s quite a chunky wee thing, and has lived out since last winter, last winter she had only a lightweight rug on but she was a lot hairier then… Rugging definitely is a minefield. It varies so much! I have only owned horses for a year so haven’t mastered it yet lol.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I would say if she's not going to be clipped and is used to living out then unless you see obvious signs that she is cold (or have good reason to believe she may get cold) then not to worry about rugs. If she has plenty to eat, is a good weight and has good shelter then she's likely to be just fine and you'll likely get a feeling for if she isn't. :)

Willowbankstables

Visit site
Interesting that someone was brave enough to make a chart for it. I guess that does help to give some guidance, although it recommends rugging all horses when temperatures are below zero and I am definitely a bad owner in that case. :p

I agree with other posters that it depends on a huge number of factors. We no longer rug our own horses, not even when it got down to -13C a few winters ago (including mare who is primarily TB x KWPN), and they were fine but they have access to good shelter and 24/7 forage. However we now have an elderly loan pony and he will require rugging autumn onwards as he feels the cold. I don't think any guide can really be spot on and you just need to deal with the horse in front of you each day and try your best to recognise the indicators that they are too hot, too cold and so on.

Yes, I'm not convinced by that chart, unfortunately. I can't see how stabled/ clipped horses need a 100g rug at 10 to 15 degrees either!? 100g is the heaviest rug I use in the depth of winter on my 21 year old TB mare. But she does get itchy and hot easily so who knows!

ihatework

Visit site
It’s hard to know because she’s only a yearling! She had to be clipped as when I rescued her she had lice… and a lot of them ?
She’s quite a chunky wee thing, and has lived out since last winter, last winter she had only a lightweight rug on but she was a lot hairier then… Rugging definitely is a minefield. It varies so much! I have only owned horses for a year so haven’t mastered it yet lol.

A chunky yearling really shouldn’t need a rug unless there is something physically wrong with it!

HashRouge

Visit site
A chunky yearling really shouldn’t need a rug unless there is something physically wrong with it!
This!
I would start by not rugging at all, no matter what the weather. She won't be hairy now because she's in her summer coat, but she should grow a lovely thick coat once the weather gets colder.
I have a retired Welsh D who is never rugged, even if it snows, and he lives out all year round. He never seems cold and always grows an incredible coat. My 28 year old Arab, on the other hand, is rugged up to her eyeballs. Sometimes she'll be in two heavyweight rugs and he'll still have nothing! But she feels the cold and he doesn't, he also grows a much thicker coat than she does and is 10 years younger. For a baby cob, no rug should be absolutely fine.

ecb89

Visit site
Yes, I'm not convinced by that chart, unfortunately. I can't see how stabled/ clipped horses need a 100g rug at 10 to 15 degrees either!? 100g is the heaviest rug I use in the depth of winter on my 21 year old TB mare. But she does get itchy and hot easily so who knows!
My fully clipped ID wears a 50g for most of winter, unless we have one of those particularly bad cold snaps when he will wear a 200g. He is never cold

FlyingCircus

Visit site
In contrast, I have a welsh mare who is miserable at a drop of rain on her and is happiest when she is kept slightly warm.

Would never dream of rugging the other native (connie) the same, but it just goes to show it is horses for courses.

I resisted rugging up the mare into more than I thought she needed, and preferred to make sure she had ad lib forage instead...but she soon showed me that if I kept doing that she would remain miserable as sin at the first gust of wind!

AUB

Visit site
Depends on the horse itself, it’s condition, the work it is in, how it is stabled, how it is fed, how much it is turned out and if it has hay when turned out.
I normally put on a rain sheet or 100 g when it is between 10-15 degrees, depending on sun/rain/wind. 200 g for 5-10 degrees. 300 g for 0-5 degrees. Then I put a 100 g neck on when it’s below 0 at night and early morning. Very, very rarely I’ll go up to 400 g, but that’s quite extraordinary.

My mare is a full clipped trakehner stabled in an outdoor stable and turned out 6-16 in all sorts of weather with ad lib hay. No excess fat and worked 6 days weekly. I prefer to rug as little as possible, but there’s also a practical aspect to it.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
How long is a piece of string.
Depends on age, body condition, shelter, grass, wind chill, natural toughness, fitness.
Rugging a horse is a bit of an art!

Pretty much this.

One of mine has had a rain sheet or 100g still on with or without neck in and off all summer when needed.

He is suspected pssm type 2 so cannot let him get cold the one night I took my eye off the game and rode him after being out naked over night whne it was chilly he nearly planted me on the floor and his muscles where solid. Rug back on and was fine.

My other one now needs a bit more care taken as he is getting older but is also retired so does need to use his own body weight to keep warm as well.

It seriously depends on where you are and what your horse prefers. Each is different.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
In contrast, I have a welsh mare who is miserable at a drop of rain on her and is happiest when she is kept slightly warm.

Would never dream of rugging the other native (connie) the same, but it just goes to show it is horses for courses.

I resisted rugging up the mare into more than I thought she needed, and preferred to make sure she had ad lib forage instead...but she soon showed me that if I kept doing that she would remain miserable as sin at the first gust of wind!

My Welsh mare used to colic if the temperature changed suddenly in the day. And even retired with full Welsh fluff I had to rug her up as she was just a cold horse. Again if she got too cold she coliced.

AUB

Visit site
Depends on the horse itself, it’s condition, the work it is in, how it is stabled, how it is fed, how much it is turned out and if it has hay when turned out.
I normally put on a rain sheet or 100 g when it is between 10-15 degrees, depending on sun/rain/wind. 200 g for 5-10 degrees. 300 g for 0-5 degrees. Then I put a 100 g neck on when it’s below 0 at night and early morning. Very, very rarely I’ll go up to 400 g, but that’s quite extraordinary.

My mare is a full clipped trakehner stabled in an outdoor stable and turned out 6-16 in all sorts of weather with ad lib hay. No excess fat and worked 6 days weekly. I prefer to rug as little as possible, but there’s also a practical aspect to it.

Just replying to myself here to add: I might go and put on a rain sheet even if it’s 18 degrees today. It’s really just pouring down and supposed to do so all day and my mare hates rain.

PSD

Visit site
My Connie used to be an absolute wimp. She’d shiver if I left her out unrugged in the rain, my new welshy doesn’t seem fussed at all whether he’s rugged or not but I’ll go and put a sheet on him if I’m planning to ride that day just to keep him dry. Completely depends on the horse, there’s an Arab on my yard whos hard as nails and never rugged and yet some of the (meant to be) hardier natives are at the gate shivering wanting to come in at the slightest shower!

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Every horse is different.
I have a cob, he isn't particularly hairy and he feels the cold so he gets rugged much the same as the sports horses on the yard! Unless the horse is sweating or freezing I don't take notice of how others rug their horses.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
In that case, start by reading up on the correct weight your horse or pony should be and make sure it remains within the correct levels. She's a chunky wee thing could mean anything put like that and anything covered in fat at a year old probably won't need a rug as much as a weight plan for her future health.