Rugs and Bl#*dy Cleaning!!!

_OC_

Visit site
Now this is the time of year that horse's just like getting as much mud on them as they can......and me hates this!........so I get them cleaned quite regular which ends up with quite hefty cleaning bills..........I know some don't bother,but, I feel if cleaned it prolong's the life of the rug.......one bill that I got was for £50 to have two medium weight rugs cleaned and reproofed by the lady round the corner from where I live she is good,but,does take a good 6 weeks to have them ready.....my OH had collected them and told me what I had been charged I nearly choked on the cup of coffee I was drinking........(could buy a new rug for that I muttered)where I keep my boy they do rug cleaning in the shop,but, charge around £18 to clean and proof and my light weights always seem to leak.........so not so good.......thought about cleaning and doing my own .....just too time consuming...what do you pay and how regular do you clean....just nosey me!
smirk.gif

Tempi

Visit site
mine get cleaned once a year the ones that dont fit in my washing machine!! And they all come back as good as new and ready for the next years wear - cost me £30 for two HW turnouts (i clean the hoods myself in my own washing machine) and they do any repairs for an extra £5, obviously depends how major the repais are tho.

Theres no point in cleaning them in whilst your horse is still wearing them imo as they are just going to get dirty again!! I hang mine out to try if they get wet but thats it. Some of Bloss's turnouts shes had for nearly 5 years now and they are al still good as new.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
About £20 to clean and proof. Have cleaned once a year and proofed when needed (Rambo/Rhino don't need reproofing the 1st few time according to my rug lady and haven't leaked yet!!!). Now keep turnouts on in the stable too and reduces the number of rugs to get cleaned in the Spring. Only have my rugs cleaned annually.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
I normally clean my medium weight twice a year and my heavy weight just once - mind you my heavy weight is normall only used for about 6 weeks in total. And I change rugs at night. I pay £18 wash and proof. for my outdoors and £8 wash only. Repairs are extra but are normally very cheap. I would not wash and proof my heavy/medium weights but I do my own lightweights both stable and turnout. just put them in the washing machine and use nikwax waterproofer

fairhill

Visit site
I take my stable rugs to a local launderette at the end of each winter - I think it's about £7 per rug.

I've never had my new zealand's washed, but I 'rescued' one a few weeks ago that someone at the yard was throwing it out. Wash was £9.50, if I'd got it reproofed as well it would have been £14.50. I only got it back yesterday, so haven't tested it's waterproofness yet.

£25 does seem a bit excessive... did it come back with goldplating?

Chex

Visit site
I don't wash mine anymore, it actually works out cheaper to replace them every 4 years or so! There's only one place near me, and prices are so dear! YO put one medium weight to be washed and reproofed, and a tiny repair and it was over £30! Think its about £28 to wash and reproof a hw fullneck. Me and my friend are seriously considering setting up a small business, but at reasonable prices.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If you need a repair done to your rug you will invariably have to pay for a wash as well as 'Health & Safety Regs' demand that the repairer can only work on a clean rug.

Apart from that it's horrible working on a dirty rug & it blunts your needles etc. So do be surprised that your little repair ends up costing a little more than you bargained for.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I get mine cleaned every time they get quite bad - like now LOL. My local feed and tack place cleans, repairs and re-proofs them for 16 pounds. They do all of my rugs from stable to turnout. yours sounds quite expensive octobercob!
frown.gif