Rugs for living out

asterid

Visit site
I have two tbs and a foal. I want them to all live out.

What are the best quality rugs for living out in the wet weather?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
A lot of people like their foals to be unrugged, especially for their first winter and if the dam is still feeding the foal, then not rugging her is safer due to the risk of the foal getting caught up in the straps.

That aside, I am a big fan of Hoseware rugs (Amigo 1200d, Rhino and Rambo are my favourites). I have rugged youngsters in them (good fit on youngstock) and my adult horses are slim built types who also suit their cut. My horses do have a windbreak and lots of natural shelter and are fed ad lib forage. I do bring them in if the weather is absolutely atrocious as I don't have a field shelter.

As mine are on a hillside, I do swap them to rugs with leg straps in very windy weather as I have seen fillet string rugs blown off. I like the Shires Typhoon and Bucas rugs (Smartex and Irish, but the Power looks fab too) in this situation.

100_2123.jpg

L - R. Rhino, Rambo, Amigo and Dominick (hard to get hold of, but fab rug).

100_0992.jpg

Rambo Duo.

Flossygrazing.jpg

Amigo.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Agree Horseware rugs are FAB. Rambo and Rhino are what I use, and only those for outdoor ones, as I have had them for years with no leaks. I use cheap indoor rugs, but good outdoor ones.

Rambo and Rhino do not seem to slip.

I tried a V expensive Fal Pro, silver interactive, full neck, but it leaked! Prefer the Wugs as the mane is left a bit exposed so although they can and do still rub a bit, it is not as bad as a full neck.

eggs

Visit site
I don't rug my foals but they do have access to a large barn. The problem with rugging a foal is that they will almost certainly outgrow the rug before the end of winter.

For my tb type horses I find the Rambo Duo or Bucas Power fit well and are good quality rugs.

vallin

Visit site
I like mark todd and used to like weatherbeeta but haven't been impressed with their new ones (though my old ones are still going strong!). I have recently got a swish rug which I'm really impressed with.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
depends what your horse is like! if they look after their rugs, then I'd go with a decent brand, but if they are going to trash them or out grow them, I would go for the weatherbeeta genero! in fact my mare who looks after her rugs ended up with one of these last winter and it was actually really good. my youngster has these and he's gone from 6-6'9 in 2 and a half years!

whizzer

Visit site
Mines wintering out for the first time in years. He's a poor doer & a high withered Tb, I've splashed out on a Rambo supreme, I went for the medium weight as I've a set of liners for a amigo rug already so thought it would be more versatile than just getting the heavyweight. I've also bought a fleece neck sock to use under the turnout when the weather gets cold. Very,very pleased with the Rambodo far, not cheap but most rugs are just too deep & heavy for the horse so I think it'll be a good investment.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Whizzer, the only thing I would say about using fleeces and non waterproof things as under rugs is..... if the rain gets under their turn out rug the non waterproof rug is going to absorb the rain!

My mare has lived out for 13 winters now and I found very quickly that I am far better off using 2 turn out rugs! I even had a fleece that matched my heavy weigh rug but when I put that under, it poked out the back, so was useless

whizzer

Visit site
I was worried about that but wore it last night as a trial run & it rained all afternoon & all night & it was dry this morning, really just got it though for when it's cold & windy.

MillionDollar

Visit site
I never rug youngsters, they always live out 24/7 from foals to 3yos naked, whatever their breeding. That said, I would always use rugs with a neck if they're youngsters out 24/7. Horseware, Weatherbeeta and Premier Equine always fit well.

Last edited:

LynH

Visit site
Two of mine are in Horseware, a selection of Rambo, Rhino and Amigo. Highland pony is unrugged but when very very wet for days on end she has an Amigo Lite which is light enough it allows her hair to stand on end under it and do its job keeping her warm.
I wouldn't rug a foal and my TB is 23 and lives out all winter although they do have access to shelters and stables.

Lucky788

Visit site
I like shires or amigo, found the shires lightweights better than amigos for staying watertight but like both for Med/heavy weights stay in place and long lasting and good quality

Brightbay

Visit site
Mine lives out in a group all year round. Group consists of a mix of TBs, WBs, ISHs, and native ponies. My preference for mine tends to be Shires, because they are a good fit around a broad chest. He is a hardy IrishxTB and really only needs either no rug or a LW. He does have a beautiful 100g with neck which has never yet been out of the bag :D One pony wears a similar Shires, and one doesn't wear a rug at all. The TBs have tended to have either Horseware (mainly Amigos), but we have also had Rhinos and Rambos. All perform well. The Amigo LW however doesn't work as well as the Shires for some reason, and is currently being used to provide pretty red patches on the other rugs ;) . I have also previously used Fals. The old ones were great. The newer ones don't seem to be as good. And I went through a Premier Equine phase, but they are a weird fit - possibly quite good on a TB - they just looked odd on the chunky Irish boy. They also seemed easier to rip, although they were the same denier as the Shires.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
for living out you need rugs at least 1200D IME, nothing else is waterproof in persistent, driving rain.I love my old Amigos-they are still going strong after 9 years, they've never leaked, but they don't fit everything. I had a PE winter buster that was a nice rug, just too warm for mine, and I have an axiom to try this winter.

Spring Feather

Visit site
My foals are all rugged and they have Horseware Rhino rugs and Weatherbeeta pony rugs; both work well as they don't move on the foals. The yearlings and the other youngsters all have Bucas rugs.

only_me

Visit site
Billy is currently out 24/7 and I don't know if any of you saw the photos on the news of the weather we have had here in NI - almost constant heavy rain that has caused major flooding around the place. Bill is unclipped & has the lightweight swish rug on (can't remember if it's 50 or 100g) but he was still dry under his back! Of course, it would probably help if he actually went into the shelter when it rains but he prefers to be out in mid field no matter the weather!!

imagejpg1_zpscf9b4916.jpg

jesterfaerie

Visit site
MotherOfChickens, I have had my axiom rug for around 7 years and I love it, best rug I have ever owned, for me TB who lives out all year round but I also had one for my last pony who trashed every rug apart from that one! Other than that my vote is with amigo rugs.