Rugs - how do they do it

marooncat

Visit site
Got up tonight to find my horse (who is on grass livery) looking very sheepish and minus her rug. As it was pitch dark, the rug is navy and she is in a 36ish acre field I have left finding it till tomorrow and I am dreading what state it is in but I can not see her having got it off without causing major damage to it. Needless to say this was the new rug I bought earlier in the winter so she is back in her old backup rug that has now outlasted 2 other rugs :eek:.

I am sure she knew I was going to be annoyed over it, she would not come right up to me when I called her at the gate and stood with her head down, almost not "looking me in the eye".

ScarlettLady

Visit site
It may well be fully intact... mine usually are when they're nowhere to be seen! its when they come in with only one half of the rug on i worry!

sandi_84

Visit site
Rug destroyers clique needed if there isn't one already! My mum's managed to rip her stable rug from surcingle clip to almost back seam last night our YO thinks she somehow managed to squeeze her leg under it when she was lying down and stood up - don't ask me how unless she suddenly became double jointed overnight! And my hippo has put three massive holes in his two turnouts in the last couple of days - his 1200D went on last night and he came in this morning with a big rip down the side! Ruddy horses huh?! :rolleyes:;)

marooncat

Visit site
I am now dreading trying to find it tomorrow. The field is quite "undulating" with lots of places for a determined horse to hide a rug, either that or it will be lying in the mud by the gate, just out of torch range so I did not see it tonight.

The annoying thing was I was looking at a special offer last night on the Robinsons website for one delivered for £30 but convinced myself she had plenty of rugs, and needless to say they are sold out now.

Ladydragon

Visit site
We have one that can somehow manage to dump a rug with ease...

Leg straps, fairly snug surcingles, combo with neck - just somehow wriggles out leaving all fastenings intact... Normally deposited in a remote hidey hole or deep puddle...

It wouldn't be so bad but she's 20yrs old and somewhat stiff when it comes to raising her back legs - not got the foggiest idea how she manages it...

traceyann

Visit site
After having my fal rug ripped not a happy bunny I went out and bought a second hand light weight in bigger size and put on top of my fal rugs now. Hopefully they only rip the lightweight worked so far.

marooncat

Visit site
Found it, lying in the middle of the field turned inside out with both leg straps ripped off (the D rings where they attached to the rug is ripped off) and a massive rip around where one of the surcingles is attached. My guestimate is that, despite everything being tightly done up, she got tied up when she was rolling.

Not sure if it is going to be fixable or not, as it was frozen I have just left it to defrost over night and will have a proper look tomorrow.

Out of interest, was I a cruel mummy to make her wear it in from the field on top of her other one as I did not want to carry a muddy freezing cold rug. :confused:

bumblelion

Visit site
My boy did this last Sunday with his brand new mw! First day of wearing it too! I looked out of the window to check on them and did a double take, questioning myself wondering if I did put a rug on him that morning! Anyway, there it was in a pile in the middle of the field, trodden into the mud! Both chest clips had snapped but the surcingles and leg straps still intact. No idea what happened!
Yesterday the same thing happened, but with his lw! No idea how he did it, as clips had snapped! So today he's out naked and will be until I get them repaired!