Rugs on in-foal mares

no_no_nanette

Visit site
The weather has just started to turn here, and I was reminded by a furiously squealing mare this morning waiting for me at her gate how much she hates rain/cold .... Also reminded me to ask those of you in the know if its OK to turn out an in-foal mare in a rug (obviously making sure all straps have very good clearance). Some people have said "definitely not", and some don't seem to think its a big issue. She's about 70 days - which seems OK to me. I wouldn't keep a rug on her once she starts to get a really big tum, but hopefully the spring will be nice enough for her not to mind. She's such a wuss! Advice, please!

Maggie2

Visit site
We rug all ours, NZ in day, depending on weather as to what weight, and heavy fleece/Thermatex/quilt at night, again depends on temperature.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Some of ours wear rugs outdoors 24/7 through the winter, we just ensure the straps aren't too tight and keep adjusting them to allow for growth.
I wouldn't put a rug on a mare with a live foal, but an in foal is no problem.

_jetset_

Visit site
Han's been in a rug for the past few days... she pulls her face if we go out of the stable and it's raining and she is naked (has also bit me in the past just to make it extra clear she is not happy). Han is nearly 150 days and she will wear a rug for as long as possible!