Rugs. Slipping. Arghhhhhh! Help

indie1282

Visit site
As above. I'm fed up of my turnout rugs flipping slipping off the horses all the time...

I have a range of:
Mio- slide of before horse has even moved.
Rhino- slightly better but still slip
Rambo Duo - old version and is pretty good at staying put.
Shires- not bad but a bit tight on the WBs chest.

I want to sell their old rugs and upgrade for this coming winter so any ideas?

I'm quite keen on a liner system to cut down on space and both my two are quite hot bods so don't need anything too heavy. I also leave rugs on in the stables and would like detachable necks.

PorkChop

Visit site
What do you mean by sliding off?

Are they just a bit off centre?

I swear by Rhino's and Rambo's but you have obviously tried them without success.

Are you absolutely sure that they are the right length? Sometimes if they are a couple of inches too long they can slip a bit, and often if you go down a size it makes all the difference.

Micky

Visit site
See if you can try a friends rug (obviously the same size as your horse!) in different brands..sounds like a brand issue...mine only has Rambo, amigo, or mark todd, as they never ever slip!! Mio didn't like but it didn't slip..weatherbeeta, Masta and fouganza all slipped, nightmare!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Wow all mine are horseware (rambo wug, mio, amigo, rhino) and I would not have anything else... how odd.... I wonder if your horse has some sort of imbalance in the way it moves? I had a horse with once turned out with a poultice and that was the only time the rug slipped.

JJS

Visit site
My suggestion would have been Shires' rugs as they have a liner system and have never slipped on any of mine, but if they're a bit tight across your WB's chest then I don't know how helpful that is. Have you tried them with an expander?

indie1282

Visit site
Wow all mine are horseware (rambo wug, mio, amigo, rhino) and I would not have anything else... how odd.... I wonder if your horse has some sort of imbalance in the way it moves? I had a horse with once turned out with a poultice and that was the only time the rug slipped.

I don't think there would be an imbalance in the way both horses move tbh but it did cross my mind - got the physio out in a few weeks so will see after that. I put the mio on one horse and it had slipped to the side before the horse had even left the stable 😣

I love Horseware rugs- mine are quite old and I can't use the necks anymore as there far too tight.

I'm leaning to getting a lightweight Rhinos and adding liners. Would you say the necks generous?

WelshD

Visit site
Horseware rugs slip on my section A but not my part bred, I think sometimes regardless of our best intentions not all brands suit all horses

Masta and Premier Equine fit him well though

Micropony

Visit site
I really love rambo optimo rugs, they are the best for not slipping back that I have ever found, but I have never had a problem with rugs slipping to the side so not sure how helpful that is...

whizzer

Visit site
Everything used to slip on to one side on my TB until I tried horseware rugs. He lives out 24/7 in Rambos & they never shift, got the duo & supreme medium weight & I use liners with them, he's always warm enough & I change the liners as needed & have the neck off if it's warm enough.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I'm leaning to getting a lightweight Rhinos and adding liners. Would you say the necks generous?

Definitely, my normal neck lw rhino fits my big necked, big shouldered spanish horse, no rubbing but any heavier ones I get the forward cut wug style.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Define slip - my horseware ones will slip about 3 inches to one side if the surcingles not done up enough, but that's it. Oh and when they are the wrong size.

If you are wanting to stay with Horseware, have you tried their Amigo XL range? They are designed for wide chested horses, but still have the more narrow/fitted necks so they don't end up gaping. I think they have the ability to take liners as well, so if you have them left from the duo, you can utilize them.

rachk89

Visit site
Try weatherbeeta. I won't buy horseware rugs for my horse he is an escape artist with rugs and horseware are the easiest ones for him to remove so I don't bother anymore. He also rips them more than any other lol so not been overly impressed. Weatherbeeta he can't get out of and rarely rips. Equidor fit well too. Never had a problem with any rug slipping though. It could be the shape of the horseware ones doesn't suit your horse too.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Elephants rug keep slipping and I splashed out and got a rug from the big horse shop and it hasn't slipped and give plenty of room round the shoulders.
We also had to go down a size too.

meleeka

Visit site
Silly question but are you sure it's not the way you're putting them on? Try putting them on from the other side.
Are you're horses very flat backed?

lrw0250

Visit site
The other pony in our field has a rug that always slips round and ends up twisted and it looks to me as if its because there isn't enough room for his ample rear end! Like the seams are in the wrong place or something. Our own pony never has a problem with slipping in her Shires, Horsewear or Mark Todd rugs. Might be a case of trying some until you find a brand that suits his shape - a bit like clothes as nothing in Topshop ever fits me well even if it's the right size!

indie1282

Visit site
Silly question but are you sure it's not the way you're putting them on? Try putting them on from the other side.
Are you're horses very flat backed?

How does one generally put a rug on? I put them on as normal and make sure they are straight, surcingles are neither too tight or loose and the rugs fit both horses. Horses are not flat backed at all.

As others have said some brands fit some horses better than others so will try some out and see what's best.

9tails

Visit site
With my horse's Mio, I've sewn a couple of pennies into the offside liner as it's so feather light that the buckles on the nearside pulled the rug askew.

TheBigPony

Visit site
We have horseware rugs and they have never slipped until now. I bought a vari-layer medium weight liner and the liner seems to slip to one side... never had this problem before.