Rugs stolen off horses backs!

ru-fi-do

Visit site
3 horses on our yard are (were) out over night last wednesday and 2 had their rugs stolen off their backs! The first night temperatures dropped to -4. They both wore 6ft rugs, but they didn't take the one off the 17hh either too wary or wasn't right size. One of the ponys that rug was taken had a trace clip and is 25 years old, he was very very cold and very stressed. The field is not near footpaths, they would have to get through 4 other fields to get to it without having to come past the farmhouse and security camera's.
Who would do such a thing! It makes you so mad, if they were 'horsey' people surely they wouldn't? There are no gypsies around either. They must have been snooping around for a few days because you really wouldn't know the field is there.
All horses are in overnight now incase they come back for more!
mad.gif

eekmon

Visit site
You are not alone
confused.gif
Friday night my friends horse had his big full neck Wetherbeeta stolen off his back in his field on Hayling Islamd!
mad.gif
It is disgusting how people can do such a thing!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
That's awful, but not the 1st time I've heard this. A few years ago a full clipped horse had his rug taken off his back while stabled during subzero temps.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
We had this happen to us a few yaers back.
All rugs stolen off both horses whilst in stables overnight.
I camped out in a concealed location for a few nights after to see if they came back for the replacements. They never did. Shame.

Dovorian

Visit site
We have had this happen in the past - similarly not the huge 7ft rugs and not the old or 'cheap' ones, just the Chaskit, Fal and Horseware ones! And this happened more than once by the way. The second time I'd postcoded the replacements and they still went!! Not sure if you can insure rugs as they can be so expensive?

fgroom

Visit site
Years ago my mare was wearing her brand new fal rug when my farrier came he said where he lived you had to "padlock" rugs on otherwise they would be taken!

Dogbetty141

Visit site
I cannot believe that who would do such a horrid thing. Poor horses. Id camp out too to see if they came back.

I have never heard of it happening before though and my horse is stabled on the outskirts of manchester. I would have thought it more likely to happen near me than where you are.

My horse never stay out though.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
The owners have brought them in now. my horse wasn't out, she takes 7'3 rugs so probably wouldn't want hers anyway. One of the rugs taken was the oldest scruffiest things you have ever seen, the old canvas types with rips all over it and they still took it! They were all postcoded or had freezemark brand on them too, so what else can you do? hadn't thought of the padlock, i suppose the little padlocks break easily too if the horse got caught up.

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
The cheek of some people!! Last year my new turnout was found at the bottom of the field neatly laid out, all buckled up, and not on the back of my horse where it should have been (much to his happiness as he could get wet!). It happened to a mate a few weeks later, but nothing was ever stolen.............................There are some weird sorts about

cloppy

Visit site
we had ours taken of 3 horses on 2 occasions a few years ago all rambos with full necks(the horses were in a field out of sight of anyone so they must have known the horses where there) so we resorted to using small padlocks one on the surcingles and one on the front held together with a metal curb chain through each side of the clips. You need to keep them well greased though as its a nightmare when the horse rolls and the padlock becomes jammed with mud if this happens you need to get a small dish with hot water in an hold the padlock in it to dissolve the mud (remember the rug is still on the horse at this point).