Rugs!

emmad96

Visit site
What kind of rugs do people have?

How many?

Whats your absolute favourite rug?

I have a summer combo, a older Bucas Smartex medium, a generic brand 300gm combo and a canvas with wool lining. So that makes 4 rugs at the moment, am In the process of buying a Smartex Rain, plus I need to buy a couple of fleeces and cotton sheets.

I love my Bucas Rugs, mainly because it means i don't have to panic too bad on mornings I feel like being lazy and being a hour late to un rug when it comes out sunny.

Jo1987

Visit site
I have too many rugs to list! My absolute favourite is my old weatherbeeta landa which I had for a fiver from a friend whose youngster had outgrown it. Such a good fit for my old boy, light but warm, it's my 'go to' rug!
I also LOVE my shires waterproof fly rug. Really useful, keeps the flies off, keeps him cool as is cream, and keeps him completely dry even in quite heavy prolonged rain. Wouldn't be without it.

Shay

Visit site
Lets see... more than I should.

8 or 9 "day" fleeces. 6 "show" fleeces. 4 waffles. 4 heavy weight combis. 2 medium combis, 2 mediums. 2 lighweight combis. 3 light weights. 3 of those fleece / mesh type thingys. 1 scrim cooler, 1 cooler, 2 fly sheets. 4 exercise sheets.... oh my gosh. And I'll bet I've missed some. Oh yes - 4 stable rugs! And I'll bet there are a few more in the store there.....Do I have too many horses or too many rugs?

My favourite... a weatherbeeta waffle cooler I got years and years ago which is a much lighter mesh than the waffles you can get now. I would love to find more of that but I've been hunting for years. And the fleece / mesh hunter rug we got from the PC Nat Champs for a £10. Lovely memories.

Oh.. just remembered... 2 stowmarket "Pac-a- mac" rugs. 4 or 5 "Winner" type rugs kept for sentimental reasons, although they mainly don't fit.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

How many?

I have a summer combo, a older Bucas Smartex medium, a generic brand 300gm combo and a canvas with wool lining. So that makes 4 rugs at the moment, am In the process of buying a Smartex Rain, plus I need to buy a couple of fleeces and cotton sheets.

I love my Bucas Rugs, mainly because it means i don't have to panic too bad on mornings I feel like being lazy and being a hour late to un rug when it comes out sunny.
For turnouts and for stable It is Fal or Shires Tempest no other rug for me.

last count horses had around 20 rugs each minimum ..............comprising or
L
ML
M
MH
H
fly rugs
summer sheets
coolers
under rugs
show rugs
thermalux's etc
total around 90 rugs in total

and many more

No Fleeces as I hate them with vengeance

Last edited:

Enfys

Visit site

How many?

For two horses. MW turnouts x 4. Wool day blanket. Cotton Cooler x 2 (neither of which fit current horses) Wool quarter sheet.

I love my wool quarter sheet, it must be about 25 years old now.

The others, meh, they do a job.
I couldn't care less about make or colour as long as they keep the horse warm/dry.

Annagain

Visit site
I don't think I have too many but maybe when I count them up I'll :eek:

1 x summer sheet for travelling / shows on warm days
1 x thermatex for travelling / shows on cooler days
1 x old fleece rug for after baths etc (only got the thermatex when the fleece was beyond being seen in public)
2 x lightweight turnouts (1 with neck, 1 without)
1 x 100g turnout (with detachable neck cover)
2 x 200g turnout (one compb, onewith detachable neck)
1 x 100g liner
1 x 200g liner

So 8 plus 2 liners. Quite restrained really!

My favourite is the Thermatex, it just looks so smart and is great in all weathers.

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
After many years watching my lovely 17 3 IDxTB prance around in rugs that made him look like he is wearing a pelmet I have discovered Gallop rugs and they are now,in my humble opinion the dogs you know whats.
They actually cover his bum completely and fit beautifully. They are also incredibly good value so I am replacing his wardrobe as and when but the one I love is the medium weight combo. So light to put on him ( Im 5ft 3 so rugging him is a throw it in his general direction and hope some of it lands in the right place event),elasticated leg straps,very generous belly straps and brilliant quality.
Wish I had discovered then years ago. The Med weight cost just under £40.00 and he has worn it loads over the last 6 months and no sign of wear and tear.
Both of them are out in their new no fill sheets today at at under £50.00 for the two I am a very happy bunny.

TGM

Visit site
We have just had a big sort out of rugs today! We have far too many, but in fairness we haven't bought a lot of them new. Some were given to us, some were won, and some were bought second-hand. We have whittled our selection down to the makes that suit us - which is mainly Amigo and Maxima - I have found by experience that anything less than 1200 denier won't stand the test of time in terms of turnout rugs. Ideally for each horse I'll have at least one lightweight turnout, one heavyweight combo, one under-rug (doubles as a stable rug and can go under a LW to make a MW, or under a MW to make a HW), one fleece and one Thermatex - that covers most eventualities. But these are all for horses/ponies who hunt and event and are hunter-clipped over the winter months. The nearly three year old (who doesn't work and is unclipped) has no rugs of his own yet and has been naked all winter!

Last edited: