Ruined (Wet!) Round Hay and Straw Bales

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Any ideas on what to do with 1x hay bale and 3x straw bales?

I found out the hard way that the tarpaulin wasn't as waterproof as I thought it was... It was just a temporary thing whilst waiting for the barn to be emptied and then they could go back in there, only as with so many things in life it took longer and the bales got wet, as in very wet.

I can stick them on the muck heap and let them rot down, but if they could have another use that would be grand :cool::D

Palindrome

Visit site
It can be used by garderners as mulch for trees and veg plots, it helps keep the moisture in the soil (less watering to do) and prevent weeds from growing.
Also as bedding for chicken coop, goats, etc... if it can be dried out.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
It can be used by garderners as mulch for trees and veg plots, it helps keep the moisture in the soil (less watering to do) and prevent weeds from growing.
Also as bedding for chicken coop, goats, etc... if it can be dried out.

Is it of any use when it's mouldy?

Spot the person who is really (really) wishes she'd realised so much sooner :oops::rolleyes::(

silv

Visit site
Mulch for your garden or advertise it free, someone out there would probably love it for their compost. I put old yukky hay on the bald patches of my paddocks and sometimes the seeds germinate and grow again, but obviously the horses don,t have access to it at that time. Also like the other poster said the birds love it.

Flicker

Visit site
If there is any straw that isn’t disgustingly mouldy you could make an old fashioned wisp for strapping. Straw under a fleece is great for drying off a sweaty horse more quickly too, so you could save up a load somewhere dry ready for winter.
I love the ideas for sharing it with wildlife.

marmalade76

Visit site
Mulch for your garden or advertise it free, someone out there would probably love it for their compost. I put old yukky hay on the bald patches of my paddocks and sometimes the seeds germinate and grow again, but obviously the horses don,t have access to it at that time. Also like the other poster said the birds love it.

I fill bald patches with the sweepings from the floor of my hay shed - works a treat.

Palindrome

Visit site
Is it of any use when it's mouldy?

Spot the person who is really (really) wishes she'd realised so much sooner :oops::rolleyes::(

Yes, it's fine even mouldy, you need a thick layer so the worst bits can go on the bottom. It is often used in permaculture. From experience, slugs love in it there so not necessarily good for lettuces. I have seen some people grow tomatoes directly in the straw bales too but not sure that there is an advantage to it.

And as poiuytrewq said, great for wildlife. One night last winter my 2 hens suddenly went crazy throwing themselves against the fence in their coop, I was watching TV but heard them and saw them through the window. So I open the window, climb through barefooted and in my PJs, thinking something is attacking my hens. I flash the light of my mobile phone through the coop and there it is, a big hedgehog sleeping in the straw. He wasn't going to do they any harm but they were terrified. I read up a bit on hedgehogs and apparently they like piles of leaves so the straw must have felt similar and a nice place to sleep whilst it was cold.

marmalade76

Visit site
Yes, it's fine even mouldy, you need a thick layer so the worst bits can go on the bottom. It is often used in permaculture. From experience, slugs love in it there so not necessarily good for lettuces. I have seen some people grow tomatoes directly in the straw bales too but not sure that there is an advantage to it.

And as poiuytrewq said, great for wildlife. One night last winter my 2 hens suddenly went crazy throwing themselves against the fence in their coop, I was watching TV but heard them and saw them through the window. So I open the window, climb through barefooted and in my PJs, thinking something is attacking my hens. I flash the light of my mobile phone through the coop and there it is, a big hedgehog sleeping in the straw. He wasn't going to do they any harm but they were terrified. I read up a bit on hedgehogs and apparently they like piles of leaves so the straw must have felt similar and a nice place to sleep whilst it was cold.

A hedgehog moved in with my tortoise one night, Torty was not amused, only time I've ever seen him out in the dark.

hock

Visit site
I was going to say that round bales are usually ok if stacked the right way but then spotted you’d got mould. I had 40 bales last year of stacked round bales offone of the paddocks and the horses scoffed it all. I put out two types of hay and they always ate the rained on round bales before the expensive stuff.