Run away to join the circus?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I thought animals were banned from performing in a circus.If they are not they should be.
It’s not really an animal based show. They have horses, sometimes a duck or goose or dogs but they don’t ever do anything that I’d consider unfair or stressful. The horses are usually doing a vaulting type performance

poiuytrewq

Visit site
That sounds like so much fun
It’s so good! I’ve not been the past two summers but it’s a lovely old traditional circus. All beautifully done. The duck last time I went just wanders in and pecks round before wandering back out again. Sounds stupid but is funny because your expecting more but the duck is literally having a mooch round. The performers are brilliant

Mule

Visit site
It’s so good! I’ve not been the past two summers but it’s a lovely old traditional circus. All beautifully done. The duck last time I went just wanders in and pecks round before wandering back out again. Sounds stupid but is funny because your expecting more but the duck is literally having a mooch round. The performers are brilliant
That sounds so cute!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've got one of their performance horses retired in my field. 2012 show - i think I posted the video on the vaulting thread. They are well looked after, all training is positive reinforcement and they usually do 2 seasons or so before they find them a non circus home.
Really?! I’ve noticed they don’t stay for long. Did you have it in work before retiring? Does it ever do anything clever?!

Courbette

Visit site
I'd love to join the circus. The horses I learnt ride on used to do display work so I occasionally got to finish my lesson with the odd bow or bit of Spanish walk. My current loan horse has been used for filming and used to joust but I've not been able to find the buttons for any hidden extras.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
It love that job. Always wanted to join the circus, but watching the workers all muck in and shift heavy equipment at lightening speed is probably a bit much at my age.

Tarragon

Visit site
We have a visiting circus near us at the moment, and they have three zebras, 2 camels, several llamas and an assortment of ponies and donkeys all grazing in the field next door to the caravans and the big tent. They all look healthy and content. I am not sure that it is such a bad life for them. There is a big coloured cobby sort of horse and small shetland pony with identical markings and every time I have driven past they are grazing side by side. I think they must be in an act together!

SEL

Visit site
Really?! I’ve noticed they don’t stay for long. Did you have it in work before retiring? Does it ever do anything clever?!

I think he might have more tricks than he lets on...

He will happily let you vault, somersault, stand on his back at all speeds. The lady who had him direct from Giffords was a gymnast type who did all kinds of bendy things on him - I'd need A&E if I tried them.

Apparently one of his performances alongside the clown was to give him a shove with his nose. At which point clown would somersault away. For the first 2 years I had him if you got to a certain point in front of him you'd get an almighty nose bump - not great when walking through sticky mud!

Most tricks these days seem to involve electric fencing and food. ...

Mule

Visit site
We have a visiting circus near us at the moment, and they have three zebras, 2 camels, several llamas and an assortment of ponies and donkeys all grazing in the field next door to the caravans and the big tent. They all look healthy and content. I am not sure that it is such a bad life for them. There is a big coloured cobby sort of horse and small shetland pony with identical markings and every time I have driven past they are grazing side by side. I think they must be in an act together!
You should go. You can tell us all about it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I think he might have more tricks than he lets on...

He will happily let you vault, somersault, stand on his back at all speeds. The lady who had him direct from Giffords was a gymnast type who did all kinds of bendy things on him - I'd need A&E if I tried them.

Apparently one of his performances alongside the clown was to give him a shove with his nose. At which point clown would somersault away. For the first 2 years I had him if you got to a certain point in front of him you'd get an almighty nose bump - not great when walking through sticky mud!

Most tricks these days seem to involve electric fencing and food. ...
What a good boy 😂 I hope you obliged by at least attempting a swanky landing not just face planting?

{97702}

Visit site
Oh this always reminds me of doing work experience at the vet when I was 14, they covered a circus when they were in their winter quarters (I think it was Giffords but I really can’t remember)

I went on a visit with one of the vets and saw lions, tigers and a polar bear so close that I could have touched them.....the polar bear was lying with his/her paws through the bars of the cage..... I didn’t dare of course, but I still remember the sense of total awe and extreme sadness ☹️

This was in 1984 if I was 14, shocking they allowed it to go on for so long ☹️