Runner beans - OK to feed?

no_no_nanette

Visit site
May seem a silly question - but we have a glut of runner beans from our veg garden some of which have got to big and coarse to be good for us to eat ... is it OK to put a few in feed as a substitute for apples/carrots? Didn't want to do this unless sure that it won't cause problems ... What do people think?

icestationzebra

Visit site
I feed my mare all sorts of vegetables as we have a juicer that kicks out pulp. Sure beans are fine - don't feed too many at once and make sure they are cut into pieces that she can't choke on. Have just discovered my mare adores parsnips.......try those too if you have some!

eekmon

Visit site
I give mine Broccoli, cauli leaves, swede, pears ect can't see it would hurt!
confused.gif
I suppose the same as everything else, not by the bucket load!!
smile.gif
My horse is now 29 so it can't of done him too much harm!

S_N

Visit site
Don't know about the beans, but I do know that brassicas (sp?) are not good for horses - Brocolli and cabbage are brassicas!

flyingfeet

Visit site
Runner beans have alkaloids in them that mean they are not good for humans until cooked.

I would be wary of feeding raw runner beans to horses as could potentially cause liver damage.

eekmon

Visit site
Well I have fed them to him ( not by the bucket load and not every day) for 24 years and hes still alive and kicking, so don't think it can be too bad!!