Running around you while putting the saddle on...

_jetset_

Visit site
I was just wondering whether someone had ever experienced something similar... when I put Grace's saddle on (in fact when I go in the stable with it) she starts walking around me and will not stand still.

I have had her back and saddle checked and both are absolutely fine. She also enjoys her work in the school and does not have much difficulty doing as I ask and enjoys the praise she gets when she has done something.

I have started tying her up because I think it is just a naughty trick to avoid work. She does not kick out or pull faces when the saddle is finally put on and girthed up so it is not a pain thing...

Am I doing the right thing by tying her up?

Hannah always hides in the back of her stable when I go in with her saddle (she is a lazy so and so and would like nothing more than chilling out and getting fat, which is why she is so happy being in foal, LOL) but she did not continue to walk around me as Grace does.

Thanks for any help or advice,

Rebecca x

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
My initial reaction was to think sore back, but, since you've had her checked and she's fine, I think she's just messing with ya
smile.gif
I always tie PF up to tack her up. Don't see what's wrong with that.

Zebedee

Visit site
Glad to see you've had everything checked out. I would tie her up short in a corner. Then ignore the walking around, which will be limited by the circumstance, but praise her when she does stand still.

_jetset_

Visit site
That is what I have been doing zebedee... as soon as she stands still with her saddle on she has been rubbed and fussed which she goes all ga ga at.

She started doing it with the bridle when I first took her on, but we soon got around that by doing it in stages and having a face rub in between the stages so she didn't get stressed out

_jetset_

Visit site
Yes... nothing there at all! She is not bothered having her girth done up at all, but I checked anyway when I first noticed she walked around.

filly190

Visit site
My mare does this, she is cold backed and I just need to give her patience and extra time when saddling up. She is more comfortable walking round to have the saddle on and so I allow this. Tied up and held, she rears, so I do it in her time and it works.