running out, refusing is the jump just to high

xxJessxx

Visit site
I've bought a new pony recently and she's been very good and quite calm. She's a bit unbalanced but it is getting much better with the work I'm putting in. I rode her on a riding holiday for a week about a month ago so I pretty much no how she goes except I only jumped her around 2ft. Some people who knew the pony that I know independantly said she could jump 1.10 courses but I tried a jump a bit bigger than 2ft and she kept running out the side. No matter how hard I steered her she would not go over it. She normally loves jumping the smaller fences is this fence just to big for her and did the person who told me she jumped 1.10 making it up. Is there anyway to tell if it is too high because the 2ft jumps she clears with inches to spare at a trot so I thought she must at a canter be able to jump higher

KatB

Visit site
Get some lessons from someone who can help you out with it. It may just be her getting to know you, or one of you feeling unbalanced. Best to get an eye on the ground to help you out!!
smile.gif

wodger_woo

Visit site
Hey if you were a pony and could either jump over a fence bigger than 2 foot or run around it what would you do? Especially if you don't really know or trust the person on board.
From your ticker it looks like you haven't even had her a week yet so you are just getting to know each other. Also if she had been used for riding holidays she will be used to having lots of different riders. Try and enjoy your pony a little more and work at building up a partenership and some trust.
Invest in some lessons with a good instructor. It sounds like your pony is lacking in a bit of confidence so ask your instructor to help you with some grid work.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
She may well have the ability - but not the confidence. She sounds like a nice sort and probably quite honest. I wouldn't hastle her until you have both got some more experiecne of each other, you have improved her schooling and balance, and she has become more confident in her abilities - and yours.

Sal_E

Visit site
Slow it down a bit. Stick at the level that you are both happy with for now - spend some time getting used to each other & improving your technique on the flat & of these smaller fences. Make sure you get the saddle checked & ideally her back & teeth as well - should all be standard things with a new horse. Once you know she's fine & you've got a bit more used to each other, get an instructor in to help you move it up a bit - don't forget that every time she runs out you are reiterating to her that she CAN run out - making it harder to solve next time. So, don't try it without an instructor (even if only for the first couple of times) as any problems can be nipped in the bud before they become habits.

Have fun with her!