Runny noses

Caffishort

New User
Visit site
Hi, I’m new to horse and hound forum but I’ve searched the internet for advice on my horses problem and there is not much known about it.

In the summer last year my hose Sparky suffered a really nasty choke whilst I was on holiday. He got a hawthorn twig lodged in the back of his throat. The vet that treated him did not check his throat with a scope and kept treating him for a standard choke which made his throat even more inflamed. I sought other vet care for him and they admitted him, removed the stick and treated him.

He is now fine within himself, he eats well, drinks and does his ridden work like a dream. He has only ever been a hack/fun ride/occasional lesson type anyway.

He does however get nasal discharge, as if he has a little bit of food coming back up still. The vets have looked into this and they believe he has some nerve damage to his soft palate which means he sometimes collapses the soft pallet which food behind it and it ends up coming back through his nose.

The vets have said it’s all about management from now on e.g no he’s food and limited hay, mostly grazing. This is fine due to where he lives and he’s now looking really well building up muscle nicely. The vets also said he has no food residue around his lungs so there isn’t a risk of pneumonia but I do keep a regular check on his temperature on snotty days.

He goes in between snotty and less snotty but on his very snotty days his nose can look quite sore - it gets pale and can cut easily. Admittedly it’s shallow cuts and he is happy to stand and let me clean/wipe him.

I’m just wondering if anyone has anything that really works to either help a snotty nose or clean nicely?

I use soft dry tissues, wet kitchen roll and sometimes sudocream at the moment.

soloequestrian

Visit site
I haven't had this in a horse but when I've got a cold my nose tends to get quite chapped. Snot itself can apparently be quite damaging to skin so I think the key is to actually wash it off as often as possible (rather than just wipe) and then use some sort of moisturising cream. Perhaps keep up the same routine on less snotty day i.e. wash and mosturise (Sudocrem sounds a good idea) so the skin is in better condition to cope with the worse days?

Caffishort

New User
Visit site
That sounds like a plan. I’ll look into some good moisturisers for him.

It’s not a common problem. The vets find him really interesting!

pastit

Visit site
I'd try Vaseline, or maybe Vaseline with a bit of Vick for his airways. I also find the suncream factor 50 for babies is quite a good moisturiser - the stuff that you squeeze out of a tube - not the spray. Keeps the sun off too!