Runny tummy at slightest changes. How to help horse?

myhorsefred

Visit site
I am expecting my cob to have a very runny tummy when the grass comes through. He will be on a really small paddock etc.

Even in the middle of last summer, when the flush of new grass had finished, he had a really runny tummy. His worming was all up to date etc. he needed a course of steroids from the vet to help him stop scouring.

Even if I move his paddock to grass which has been previous grazed down by my other horses, he still gets diarrohea. Very watery.

At the moment he is in at night and out in the day, and his poos are normal.

What can I give him to help him cope with the changes in the grass please. I tried pink powder last summer, but this didn't help.

Any ideas, please?

myhorsefred

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

He is a heavyweight cob, and you'd think he would have the constitution of an ox. But he is a really sensitive type. Bombproof to ride (kick along really - would bore most of you to tears) but really sensitive tummy.

BlueCakes

Visit site
My horse is prone to a runny tummy. He gets a small amount of bran in his feed everyday. His feed is watered before he gets it but not so that its runny. I wouldn't want him to have completely dry bran and food but I don't want it turning to a bran mash either because this will have the opposite effect. It really sorts him out and keeps him running fine! I used to also give him natural yoghurt which really worked. However I also used to eat the yoghurt and this was quite expensive. With bran there is a big bag in the feed room and it will last him months!! :) xx x

Nari

Visit site
Protexin Quick Fix is great for quickly sorting things out, then keep him on something like Biotal Gold. Also try keeping him eating some dry fibre, hay is ideal.

sakura

Visit site
my mares the same

I feed her A&P cool and collected which is gut friendly, lots of good forage and pink powder

but the problem is still there, it just manages it more

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My mare is similar to this. We have to feed haylage, as the quality of available hay is very poor, and she struggles with that. We were feeding her PinkPowder, which worked, then had to swap to Haylage Balance as the feed merchant had no PP just before Christmas. We realised that this was causing behaviour probs, and then that the probs had started with PP.
I was advised by someone on here (Thank you Tiger Tail) to give her Brewers' yeast. I give her this and a TINY amount of bran, which is keeping her normal.

sakura

Visit site
this may be an obvious question, but how do you go about buying/feeding brewers yeast?

at the moment I'm feeding 3 scoops of PP a day and for that amount, it's not really doing enough to help my mare. I'm also concerned about the ingredients in it but I have to have her on something to help her digestion

myhorsefred

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

Sorry to be thick, but where do you get bran? Is it just in a big bag from the feed merchant?

And, do you have to soak it, like sugar beet? or just damp it like chaff?

sorry for all the questions!