Ryans Son pics anyone??

jen1

Visit site
A couple of people have said my horse looks like Ryans Son. I remember a show jumper from years ago by this name I have googled the name and it's come up with Ted Edgar and John Whitaker as riders but I can't find any pictures. Does anyone have any pics they can post on here or know of any site that has pics I can look at. Apparently he used to do a big buck after most of the jumps! Mine can do that too!!!!!

TGM

Visit site
I've got some pics of him but it was in the days before digi cams and they are not scanned in. If no-one else comes up with any then PM me and I will scan them for you.

jen1

Visit site
Oh my god didn't know that poor thing. would like to see a picture of him though.
frown.gif

ChowChow

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is this him...?
JOHNWHITAKER1car.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's Grannusch. Ryans Son was bay with a blaze and 2 hind stockings rather like a Clydesdale which I think he was crossed with.

jen1

Visit site
Yes my gg looks like a Clydesdale cross, people at yard think he's crossed with a TB certainly has the brain of a loony TB!!! trying to post a pic of him now still trawling internet for a pic of Ryans Son, my horse is bay with white blaze and back stockings. Irish. Don't know his breeding but he came via Lynn Russell I believe. Would love to find out where he actually came from in Ireland as apart from being a bit of a pain at times (spooky) he has the most wonderful personality, loves dogs adores kids (not for breakfast though) and is a complete gooey teddy bear in the stable, comes to call or whistle and would do anything for a Polo! Doesn't grow a winter coat (doh) saves on the clipping though and has such a shiney coat all winter that the rest of the yard is totally jealous! He's my BABY!
grin.gif

katherinef

Visit site
yes your horse does look like Ryan's Son

But to clarify Ryan did not break his back. He did fall in the Hickstead Derby and later died of a heart attack in the showground stables.
It seems sad it is so hard to find info on him now. He was a great horse.

SJFAN

Visit site
He was a great personality and would have been JW's once in a lifetime horse, had not Milton come his way. Real case of handsome is as handsome does. John will tell you that he was not impressed when they viewed him, but his Donald (his dad) saw the potential. There is an excellent book, Ryan's Master, by Jane Fuller, telling the story of their partnership.

Merlotmonster

Visit site
Yes I remember watching it on the TV. Think he fell at the first or second fence, the one with the wall under it. John got up and Ryans Son staggered for a few seconds then seemed fine. He walked out of the arena so it was very sad to hear he died shortly after. They think he ruptured something.

SJFAN

Visit site
I was there. It was the 2nd fence - the white rails - uncharacteristically he swerved slightly as he approached it. He looked a bit stiff and shocked as John walked him out. He was allowed to rest in a loosebox and it was during the evening that he died from internal bleeding. John was with him.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
if you google his name theres lots of info about him, it was deff the last fence he fell at 1987 i think.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it wasn't...i was there too. As SJFAN said it was the second fence in the Derby, the white oxer with the xmas tree fillings. He fell heavily but the left the ring under his own steam. Unfortunately he died later that night from a heart attack in the Hickstead stables...

He was a a wonderful character of a horse, and i also had his dopfelganger for looks around the same time. Unfortunately my 'Ryan' didn't quite have the pop that he did, but he did have the buck
wink.gif

I guess the lack of photographic evidence online is a result of the era in which he came from. I think it would have been about 1986/7 that he died...so not so much internet / digital photography then
frown.gif