Sack of potatoes on a (fat) plank

Wobblywibble

Visit site
Rode my little share horse for the first time in ages today, she has been ridden by owner's daughter twice in the last 6 weeks but that's been it. Horse was apparently "very keen" on last outing. She is usually forward going, but sensible.

Took her up to the school (which is tiny, hardly ever used and has very uneven surface) and lunged her for 10 mins before I got on, she was a complete angel. Was expecting a bronco on the end of the line, but had to get after her a bit (not her fav occupation at the best of times)

Once in the saddle, found her very forward (usually a bit pluggy in the school) and suddenly realised how stiff she has got and also how much fat she has built up at the bottom of her neck. We struggled to canter an entire circuit as she was so unbalanced. And as for getting left canter lead, forget it (this the horse that didn't feel the need to canter on the right lead for a very long time) Felt like I was riding a totally different horse! Plus she jogged sideways all the way back to the field. More work needed I think.

We haven't had a proper session in the school for longer than I care to remember, we mostly school out hacking or in the field in summer. Not sure if I was more disappointed that my lovely supple, well mannered horse has disappeared or that I felt like a complete blob on top of her.

Does anyone else have days like this, when you just feel completely ineffective as a rider?

StarFell

Visit site
Oh yes, every time I ride
laugh.gif
Don't worry, you'll soon get her fit again now that the weathers sorted itself out
smile.gif

somethingorother

Visit site
Yes don't worry, after a month off from the snow and ice, i got back on my share horse on wednesday and had much the same. He was being a plank spooking at everything and nothing, and was so tense ans stiff, worse than ever. I felt like a blob too.

Maybe you could both go on a nice long hack to chill out? I bit the bullet with the lad and went out for 3 hours on friday, even after him being sooo wound up and silly on weds. He was very excitable (jogged all way out) but behaved for once (didn't throw himself in front of any lorries/over a fence), and it did us both good to have a blast i think. By the end of the ride he was plodding along on the end of the buckle and i felt like i belonged up there again
smile.gif

ladyearl

vvv
That could have been me writing - I have put on weight for sure and I could "feel" my muscles after only 1/2 hr - we started back with a couple of hacks - she's being lunged today and I'm going into the school on Tuesday. Am hoping that after a couple of weeks we'll be back to something more normal!