Sacroiliac injury and turnout

c-bx

Visit site
Hi all

My 16 year old has been a bit off behind recently. Vet came out and diagnosed a sacroiliac injury so suggested coming to medicate in a few days.

All booked in for treatment however she lives out and I have no access to stables other than my field shelter. Vet recommended box rest for 1 day then field rest for a week then start walk hacking. The problem is with all that is going on trying to find someone to pick her up (I have no transport and she doesn’t travel well) and put her in a stable for a day seems like a lot of stress for her. She isn’t used to being stabled so would imagine she would stress. Putting a door across her field shelter isn’t an option as she would just smash the whole thing down or jump out and hurt herself more (typical TB ?).

has anyone had a sacroiliac medicated and then just let them have turn out straight away? She is in a field by herself so no risk of another horse getting at her. Has a horse either side of her field in 2 separate fields. She is a nightmare with electric fencing also will either jump it or barge through it!!

Planning to call the vet again today to see what the day but just looking for advise. Only other option would be to see if I can find someone to take her to the vets to have it done there and have her stay there for the day but with social distancing and her being a stroppy TB mate might be a nightmare!!

any help and advise much appreciated!! Pic for attention of said nightmare horse!!

Attachments

• 531B7B06-3FAB-456C-9CEA-5F529F377D70.jpeg
    531B7B06-3FAB-456C-9CEA-5F529F377D70.jpeg
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 8

paddi22

Visit site
I had an exracer the same as yours. I ended up turning him out full time after he got his si treated. he was a nightmare to stable when other horses got turned out or his routine changed and would have done worse damage box walking and stressing. the reason for the box rest that I was given was to keep the area he was injected in as clean as possible for a while. so I put him out with a new clean rug on instead of keeping him in and it was fine.

be positive

Visit site
I had an exracer the same as yours. I ended up turning him out full time after he got his si treated. he was a nightmare to stable when other horses got turned out or his routine changed and would have done worse damage box walking and stressing. the reason for the box rest that I was given was to keep the area he was injected in as clean as possible for a while. so I put him out with a new clean rug on instead of keeping him in and it was fine.

I did keep mine in as he was happy to be stabled but as above it is only to keep the injection site clean so rugging should be an option and what I was going to do if he came back stressed and unsettled.

Not sure it is typical behaviour for a tb to not like being stabled, every one I have had here was happy in, one even preferred his stable to being out refusing to leave if he thought the weather unsuitable.

SEL

Visit site
It might be because of the steroid they are suggesting keeping in - laminitis risk.

Mine was allowed out but had to be muzzled - she is definitely the chunky type that gives vets palpitations if they have to administer steroids.