Sad day - 4 years old is too young to die

PollyP99

Visit site
Arrived to ride this morning only to see a very still looking shape in the paddock and my horse looking confused and wandering.

I knew instantly her field mate was dead, she was flat out but in the shade on this sunny morning.

She was 4 years old, she looked like he had just gone to sleep, no sign of struggle, no sign of distress.

She was a joy to be around, just started her ridden career and had been such sane and brave girl.

My mare had laid next to her it would seem as there was a horse shape pattern up close not frosted.

She was quiet and sniffed the body before sadly moving off, for one that hates to be alone tht speaks volumes of their understanding

Post Mortem showed she had an enlarged heart and her death could have come at any time...

But 4, really far too young....

MadBlackLab

Visit site
Oh I'm sorry to read this it brought a tear to my eye. The thing you have to remember she passed away in the paddock with her friend (your horse) and least your horse had a chance to say goodbye which for her sanity is a big help.

Run free on rainbow bridge x

Rose Folly

Visit site
So very sad. But how lovely, if it had to happen, that the young one was with your mare. However dear humans are to horses, in discomfort and distress its their own kind who provide such understanding and kindness. And your poor lonely mare! How is she faring?

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
This is so sad, i'm sat here in tears just reading this. At least she had comfort from her best friend at the end, and at least your mare got to say goodbye to her. :(

PollyP99

Visit site
Thanks everone so much for your kind words.

My mare is fine now, we had to ride her to another paddock so that she wouldn't be alone and she went so well, she is the spooky sort, as I've posted before, and she was really brave, she is very vocal on leaving normally but was silent until she neared her destination where her old companions were and she shouted her head off.

She settled well and seemed ok last night.

The youngster was so beautiful, she's the bay in my profile album, she was herd lead at 3 , brave and bossy, loved people, really cuddly and a joy to ride in what wereher first ridden months. She will be very much missed. We had her from 2 years old.

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
Another in tears reading this. Poor little one.So young She must have laid down, went to sleep, and never woke up again. Sounds like it was peaceful, but how heartbreaking. Hope your mare is ok. How sweet she lay beside her for comfort. RIP little lady xx

PollyP99

Visit site
What is the most cruel part is this lovely girl was helping my sister and niece get over the loss of their beloved horse in January this year, she had been ill for a while but had been with them for years. My sister had started to enjoy riding again, I think this event will be just too much to bear. I'm a mess and had never ridden her.

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
Well, that really is truly sad. I hope your sister and niece will be able to come to terms with it eventually, but I know it will be hard for them.I am so sorry for you all. I know how heartbreaking it is to lose a beloved horse only too well, and I feel for you all.She sounded a really lovely little girl, so take heart in the fact that you shared her life at least for a little while. big (((hugs ))) to you all xx

PollyP99

Visit site
Thanks again everyone.

Been to check my mare, she looks depressed, much as we all do.

The why her, why now thoughts keep rolling around my head but I guess need to gain some perspective, I'm sure there are people grieving over lost loved ones the world over, adults and children taken young. It's life but it sucks.

RubysGold

Visit site
Very sorry to hear this, so young :(
its nice it was peaceful, quick and with her friend, but still heartbreaking.
glad your mare has company, she must be very sad too

dizzyneddy

Visit site
My old friend lost a 2 year old primitive rising filly to the same condition, very sad indeed as you come to expect it in a oap but not a youngster. May the little girl enjoy galloping in horsey heaven

PollyP99

Visit site
Thanks for the continued good wishes.

I have been back to her paddock this afternoon to collect various items, my little dog who normally loves this field and its rabbit and pheasant smells, today and yesterday she will not enter, she cried at the car to get back in which is so out of character. We spent some part of everyday here so it really is odd.

Does she sense the loss?