Sad News- Primitive Star Filly IVY

velv

Visit site
I dont know if you remember my yearling filly by primitive star who I posted a bit about last year....
A week ago today I got a dreaded call whilst on holiday. My livery yard had found Ivy early morining colicing and called the vets straight away. Unfortunately the vet didnt think any thing could be done. He decided to give her some sedative and an hr to see if she improved. She didnt and the decision was made to pts. I am obviously devastated and It was so horrible not being there with her and having to make the final decision.
She was such a sweet natured filly and best friend to my other yearling Bobby.
Rest In Peace little Ivy Pony xxxx

velv

Visit site
picture.php

Here is a picture of her as a foal

eventrider23

Visit site
So sorry - colic is a nasty evil thing - I lost a very beloved 2 yr old colt to it and it ranks as one of the worst days in my life.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
So sorry to hear poor ivy. I lost my pony to colic age 5 . Intestines went through the gut wall.

Do they know what caused the colic??

(( healing vibes )):(

velv

Visit site
So sorry to hear poor ivy. I lost my pony to colic age 5 . Intestines went through the gut wall.

Do they know what caused the colic??

(( healing vibes )):(

I havnt read the autopsy report yet (cant bring myself to do it) but one of my friends is a vet student and was there for the post mortem and she said had a huge volvulus (were the gut twists around itself) and lot of the small intestine was already dead so surgery definitely wouldn't have been an option so Im glad I didnt go down that route and put her through un necessary pain.

Thank you for all your kind words.

dressageforever

Visit site
Aww so sorry about your young filly - how sad. I lost my lad last week to colic, he also had twisting and strangulation of the intestines, but he was a ripe old age of 22.

Time heals, eventually.

Ce'Nedra

Visit site
That is terribly sad. So sorry for you. She looked beautiful and must have given you great joy in your short time together.

_Samantha_

Visit site
Sorry to hear that :-(

Not that it's any consolation but I went through a very similar situation a few years ago. My 9yo mare who I had owned for only 5 weeks was at livery with a friend, I went on holiday and on my journey home received a phone call to say that my girl had suffered a twisted gut, they tried to operate but vet decided she was too far gone. it's a real shock to the system coming home to such tragic news but I feel a bit better knowing that she wasn't alone and my friend did all she could for her.

As someone else has said, time is a great healer. So while it may not feel like it at the moment, it will get easier. thinking of you.

iconique

Visit site
So sorry, feel your pain! We lost our primitive rising mare when her foal was 3 months, then her foal at 18months. It isn't easy and they can't be replaced. On a better note, we now have a 2 month old Primitive Star filly. We can't replace Izzy or Arkadia but have some fond memories of them both, just hope you can do the same.

Asha

Visit site
So very sorry for your loss, cant imagine how your feeling. She was beautiful, RIP Ivy. Sending hugs x

koeffee

Visit site
gutted for you, having lost my stallion 4 weeks ago to colic i know how your feeling, worse you not being there?