Sad post - horses are such heart-breakers

Marigold4

Visit site
Decision made today to retire my young horse, aged 5. I've owned him for 3 years and adore him. Did well as a youngster in inhand classes winning 3 championships so had high hopes. Great breeding: FS Golden Moonlight x Royaldik. Started gently at 4. Not up to ridden work. I've tried every saddle and spent literally thousands on saddles, vet fees, xrays and scans but no cause of his unhappiness under saddle found. So that's it for me in terms of riding. Two retired horses now living a very happy life at home for many years to come. Companion pony no longer needed so will be found a nice home and I need to find something less insane to do with my time and money. A busy weekend ahead selling stuff on ebay and then ...

teddy_

Visit site
I really sympathise with you. When this happens, not only do you feel your horses pain but all your hopes and dreams come crashing down too :(.

I lost my seven year old Trakehner in August after six years of careful production. Shortly before he died, he was diagnosed with significant navicular changes so, retirement was the only option. I was actually in disbelief for a while post diagnosis. I literally kept saying in my own mind 'this isn't happening'.

We build up such wonderful visions in our minds about what we will do with our precious four-legged friends, accepting you won't do those things takes time... But, don't give up on your equestrian aspirations, you will find a way :).

Edit - as below, he is lucky to have such a good owner and there is still so much you can enjoy together!

Last edited:

Marigold4

Visit site
I really sympathise with you. When this happens, not only do you feel your horses pain but all your hopes and dreams come crashing down too :(.

I lost my seven year old Trakehner in August after six years of careful production. Shortly before he died, he was diagnosed with significant navicular changes so, retirement was the only option. I was actually in disbelief for a while post diagnosis. I literally kept saying in my own mind 'this isn't happening'.

We build up such wonderful visions in our minds about what we will do with our precious four-legged friends, accepting you won't do those things takes time... But, don't give up on your equestrian aspirations, you will find a way :).

Edit - as below, he is lucky to have such a good owner and there is still so much you can enjoy together!

Thank you for your kind words. I am somewhat shocked that this has happened when I've taken such trouble to do everything right. Sad and disappointed when I thought we had so much ahead of us but definitely the end of my equine aspirations. Enough is enough!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear this. I live in fear of losing another young horse and I've pretty much decided recently to stop having any ambitions for my horses because I can't face any more heartbreak if I don't achieve them. He is a very lucky horse that you are prepared to offer him a retirement.

Marigold4

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear this. I live in fear of losing another young horse and I've pretty much decided recently to stop having any ambitions for my horses because I can't face any more heartbreak if I don't achieve them. He is a very lucky horse that you are prepared to offer him a retirement.
Sensible approach! O to be young and optimistic again though and not to know all the difficult stuff about keeping horses. I had bigger dreams than poo picking a couple of broken horses for the rest of my days.

Marigold4

Visit site
Nothing to offer but sympathy. So sad and very frustrating not to be able to get a definitive diagnosis of the problem. He is a very lucky horse to have an owner who will keep him for life. My heart breaks for horses like him who get repeatedly sold on.

Yes, it is very sad for those semi broken horses who get passed around. I had a professional ride him to see if it was just me. She got him in an outline and working forward but he looked so stressed and unhappy, I asked her to stop. Not rider's fault - she didn't do anything wrong, he just wasn't up to it. I've backed, competed and sold on two nice allrounders as projects in recent years and I know what a horse happy in their job looks like - and this one just isn't. He's in pain somewhere.

Marigold4

Visit site
I've got a field full of retirees too - it's very sad to have your dreams dashed ?
Yes it is terribly sad. And I do feel down. But I've done a lot of riding over the years so I'm hoping I'll be able to move on and call it a day with riding. My husband is offering to take me sailing ?

catembi

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear about your 3. That must be really tough. Have you decided to call it a day riding wise?

No because I am very stupid. Mine live at home and in August I bought horse no 6, an unbacked TB youngster. Yes I have SIX horses, none rideable unless you count the Shetland. The new chap...let's just say that it isn't straightforward & that we are currently doing groundwork under professional supervision. I ride the 4 yo PSSM about once every 10 days for the sake of my sanity, which is literally 10-20 minutes' walk in my arena as he can't go any faster. I somehow manage to hold down a v decent job to pay for everything (I am autistic & life in gen is an almighty struggle) & I NEED to get my bum in the saddle now & then. Aaarrrgghhh...!!!!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
What a shame for you, but how lovely that you’re keeping him for a fabulous retirement!

I bumped into an old acquaintance this week, she had her horse pts when she was told he was fully recovered post injury but needed a couple of months box rest. She seemed extremely surprised that I have kept mine, despite him being retired.

SO1

Visit site
What a shame and so young too. I hope perhaps you might have a friend who might let you ride one of there horses. I have also been on some wonderful riding holidays which is what I will probably do more of when my pony needs to be retired, hopefully not for a long time yet but I know I have been lucky to that he has been in work for most of the 14 years I have had him.

Maybe in a few years time you can try again with young horse. Whatever is wrong may have resolved itself with time.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Sensible approach! O to be young and optimistic again though and not to know all the difficult stuff about keeping horses. I had bigger dreams than poo picking a couple of broken horses for the rest of my days.

I know everyone has different ideas about these things, but it doesn't have to be like that. I know it's a million times easier said that done but you could have the two unrideables PTS and find something else to enjoy. Life's too short to not make the most of it... I PTS a 6 year old for the same reason because I couldn't do 20 years of managing a retiree. You sound like a great owner anyway.

tristar

Visit site
you always sound so good with horses, cant believe you will not ride again

anyway so sorry to hear this, you must love your horses very much x

BBP

Visit site
Oh that’s so sad for you. BBP is one where I’ve spent his whole life trying to make him ok. And we had some wonderful rides. But generally followed by issue after issue. More non ridden time than ridden. And I finally decided at 15 that he just wasn’t a ridden horse. He is now having an absolute blast as a lawnmower, liberty horse and annoyer of the other two. The liberty work has been a brilliant way for us to build an even better relationship, it’s all at his pace and becomes running every day to see what we are doing next.

I’ve just bought a yearling almost with the full expectation that I may never ride it, just because that approach takes the pressure off me. It doesn’t mean I’m not looking forwards to the prospect of riding it one day, but I’ve bought it knowing it may only ever be a pet and being okay with that.

Reactions: SEL

HashRouge

Visit site
I know everyone has different ideas about these things, but it doesn't have to be like that. I know it's a million times easier said that done but you could have the two unrideables PTS and find something else to enjoy. Life's too short to not make the most of it... I PTS a 6 year old for the same reason because I couldn't do 20 years of managing a retiree. You sound like a great owner anyway.
I know you are probably trying to help, but I find it quite unkind to suggest to the OP that she have her two (clearly much loved) horses put to sleep. There are more important things in life than riding.

PurBee

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your youngster marigold. Youve evidently tried everything to find the cause of pain. What a journey that must have been, how disappointing.
You dont sound happy to have retirees, which is understandable in many ways...having the set-up and lifestyle to match retiring horses isnt easy.
I wonder if there is the possibility of re-homing as companions or for in-hand showing? Nice breeding does well for in-hand showing, and he’s so young, maybe you can find a inhand enthusiast who isn’t interested in riding? I’m presuming he’s fine without a rider? Something to consider maybe?…

paddy555

Visit site

see I could never do that as I would simply be killing an animal which could have a perfectly happy life ahead as a retiree for my own amusement. There is a big difference between horses retired at whatever age that are in pain and where PTS on welfare grounds may be the best option and those who are simply for one reason or another unrideable.
The latter can live perfectly happily, pain free in their normal state ie unridden.

I have never bought or acquired a horse without knowing that if it didn't work out as a riding horse I would retire it. Often that may be at only 5 or 6 but the horse would still be my responsibility to ensure the quality of it's life.
If I kept my horses at a livery yard then I would be looking at a retirement livery for that horse.

I'm sorry for the position you are in Marigold but well done for doing the best for your horses. I have had several in the early retirement pension scheme over the years. They have not suffered as a result of their retirement and in fact they seemed delighted with it. :D