Sad post - horses are such heart-breakers

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Please don't give up your horse is so young it could just be he is not ready for ridden work, one of my Arab's was very much the same he sort of switched off at 5 so I just left him for a bit and just did the odd walk under saddle to tick him over and by the time he was 6 he was a totally different horse.

A horses skeleton does not properly form until they are 5 and they don't really fill out and mature until a few years later, I think some horses cope with training at a young age some just don't.

Marigold4

Visit site
I take the point about not giving up and will definitely reassess, but there is definitely something not right and he is unhappy/in pain ridden. I have done lots of vet, physio, dentist investigations costing xxx, no cause found. More next week. So I'm not "giving up", I'm choosing not to ride a horse in pain but choosing instead to give him a life of luxury at home with his mum and young friend. He comes in for pampering every day and is much loved, so it's not like I'm chucking him out somewhere and forgetting about him. I'm giving up riding him, but not "giving up on him". :)

SEL

Visit site
I take the point about not giving up and will definitely reassess, but there is definitely something not right and he is unhappy/in pain ridden. I have done lots of vet, physio, dentist investigations costing xxx, no cause found. More next week. So I'm not "giving up", I'm choosing not to ride a horse in pain but choosing instead to give him a life of luxury at home with his mum and young friend. He comes in for pampering every day and is much loved, so it's not like I'm chucking him out somewhere and forgetting about him. I'm giving up riding him, but not "giving up on him". :)

I've got a field full of horses living their best life - one day one might actually enjoy being ridden!!!

Kudos to us though for being sensitive enough to understand there is a problem and not try and ride them through it saying they are naughty.

Marigold4

Visit site
UPDATE: thanks for everyone's helpful suggestions and some feedback:

Neck has been x-rayed - all looks good

PSSM 1 test done = neg

Vit E fed

14 day course of gastroguard completed - we didn't scope

Secondhand Torsion saddle tried in case he doesn't like the Solutions W girthing system - puts me in an awful position but he seems to quite like it

Strengthening and suppling groundwork undertaken to undo his tendency to want to curl up left

Result? Perhaps a little happier - just doing 5 mins ridden work in walk, keeping it happy and short.

Looking for a really steady loan horse in the hope that hacking might help. He's terrified of deer, squirrels, birds etc so this needs to be a very steady mentor. Very few of those around, sadly.

Last edited:

I'm Dun

Visit site
That's the point ?

They are happily in work and their owners don't feel the need to confirm with a biopsy or be posting about their issues on social media, because they are being easily coped with.

I had one, I believe (and so did my vet). He was pretty much a normal 7 year old if kept on vitamin E and amino acids. Without those he had rock hard bum muscles and at times looked ataxic. When I look back over time, I've had at least one other who was just felt to be "lazy" and whose father was renouned for bucking and he produced some difficult offspring, who I suspect all inherited it from him but went untreated as it wasn't a known disease at the time.

You have no proper evidence whatsoever, as far as I know, for your repeated assertion that not many PSSM 2 horses stay in work. To prove that would need a large scale study where many hundreds of horses were biopsied to find a group with PSSM 2, and for those to be tracked for several years.

Until that study happens, I find it more reasonable to believe that like most diseases, there is a range of how much PSSM 2 will affect any one horse that has it, from asymptomatic through to unrideable.

And yet no one has evidence of a type 2 horse diagnosed with biopsy, and in work. As I said I'd love to hear about it as would other people. Stories of horses people think have type 2 is just that, a story.

Theres plenty of evidence of type 2 horses, diagnosed with biopsy that end up retired then PTS. So actually what I'm saying is far closer to proper evidence than saying type 2 isnt an issue, bung them some vitamin e and it will all be fine.

The large scale study is underway, but its still several years off being published.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Oh he’s gorgeous, as is mum! They look very happy together.
Sounds very much like a variant of PSSM to me - and many vets don’t know much about it. The PSSM 2 test is helpful, https://shop.generatio.de/en/horse/pssm2-6-variant-panel

If you’re on Facebook there is a extremely helpful group called ‘PSSM & MFN Awareness’ which were a huge supportive help to me. Vitamin E was a huge help and you could try limestone flour. Calmed mines nerviness hugely.

(Sorry if someone’s already said all of this!)

Pinkvboots

Visit site

I totally think you are doing the right thing not riding perhaps me saying don't give up was probably the wrong sort of words, I didn't think for one minute you had given up on him I just thought it might be worth leaving it for a bit and having a rethink after a break, you know what it's like with these horses you never know how anything is going to turn out.

It would be so much easier if they could speak to us:)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
UPDATE: thanks for everyone's helpful suggestions and some feedback:

Neck has been x-rayed - all looks good

PSSM 1 test done = neg

Vit E fed

14 day course of gastroguard completed - we didn't scope

Secondhand Torsion saddle tried in case he doesn't like the Solutions W girthing system - puts me in an awful position but he seems to quite like it

Strengthening and suppling groundwork undertaken to undo his tendency to want to curl up left

Result? Perhaps a little happier - just doing 5 mins ridden work in walk, keeping it happy and short.

Looking for a really steady loan horse in the hope that hacking might help. He's terrified of deer, squirrels, birds etc so this needs to be a very steady mentor. Very few of those around, sadly.

I've just seen your update I'm so glad all the tests were clear and he seems happier under saddle, I hope he continues to get better and you find him a hacking partner soon please let us know how it's going.

Marigold4

Visit site
qqqqq
I've just seen your update I'm so glad all the tests were clear and he seems happier under saddle, I hope he continues to get better and you find him a hacking partner soon please let us know how it's going.

It really would be great if he could speak. Then perhaps he could explain to me why rising trot makes him angry but sitting trot is just about tolerated.

Marigold4

Visit site
I've got a field full of horses living their best life - one day one might actually enjoy being ridden!!!

Kudos to us though for being sensitive enough to understand there is a problem and not try and ride them through it saying they are naughty.

I'm trying to enjoy me new life as a pony patter. So far, so good. Maybe I should buy a horse that's already lame. Then there wouldn't be any nasty surprises and maybe the unexpected thing would be that the horse came sound, ha ha.

gallopingby

Visit site
Marigold - hope you’re getting on ok. I do think turning away for a while could be the answer. Interestingly enough I have a home bred horse who was sent away to be ridden on some years ago. She came back a nervous wreck having previously been ok, and l mean literally a wreck she shook if anyone went near her, vet said only thing to do was turn away. Goodness knows what had happened to her but she wouldn’t go any where near a stable and it was very obvious the ’pro’ had doped her in order to return. She’s been turned away for three years now but just this last few weeks, since having her feet trimmed she’s a different horse, now looking for attention which she hadn’t done for a long time and coming down to the gate with the other 3 field mates perfectly normally, almost as if she’s now feeling that she wants to join in with everything that’s going on. We’re taking it slowly atm but looks as if she may be able to start ridden work again next year.

BBP

Visit site
I'm trying to enjoy me new life as a pony patter. So far, so good. Maybe I should buy a horse that's already lame. Then there wouldn't be any nasty surprises and maybe the unexpected thing would be that the horse came sound, ha ha.
I think there is something to be said for that approach!

I guess they are all different but just as a bit of info, my pony was on omeprazole and sucralfate for 4 months before he scoped clear, I didn’t ride til about 10 weeks in as he had been so miserable/dangerous so I gave a good break. And then I started feeding equisure towards the end which made a definite difference.

Not saying for you to do the same but just to set expectations of potential time frames.

Jellymoon

Visit site
My input for what its worth - maybe not much but I have bred and produced horses for too many years!! I personally loathe the young horse classes - the best place for young horses (in my opinion, again, for whats it worth!!) is in the field and left alone.

I have had 4 year old that went 'off'. I now stop work instantly, I dont waste money on vets/saddle fitters/physios/cranks etc etc unless I can see an obvious problem that needs attention, I open the field gate and wave goodbye for 6 - 12 months. So far that has worked in every case bar one and that horse was huge and had developed spavins. He was sadly incurable and after several years treatment I had to let him go.

It appears you are lucky enough to be in a position to put yours in a field for a good length of time. Do just that. Don't sell all your stuff - wait for a year or two and just see what happens. Meanwhile go sailing and see if you really enjoy it. Maybe, in time, your horse will heal/finish growing whatever. Maybe you will want to ride again. Maybe you will love sailing. Who knows? Just give yourself and your horse time before finally giving up!!

Good luck and do let us know how things go. Horses can be so depressing but they also give us so much pleasure.
Completely agree with all of this OP.

SEL

Visit site
Oh I've got one of those and it isn't really much less stressful because you still worry about his quality of life - & then he gallops down the field and you realise he's happy enough ? Took a fair while for my challenging one to respond to ulcer meds but she had PSSM which complicated everything.

Have you tried asking on local FB forums to see if anyone local has a semi retired horse they'd be happy to loan for hacking?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
qqqqq

It really would be great if he could speak. Then perhaps he could explain to me why rising trot makes him angry but sitting trot is just about tolerated.

That is a bit of a strange one ? it could be a saddle issue my arab at 5 was incredibly hard to get the saddle right as he just changed so quickly and so much in a matter of months, I wasn't that clued up about saddles or the fit back then either.

I do think that some horses just don't cope with ridden life when they are young and sometimes just need a bit of time to mature and grow.

Also to add he was so sensitive even some numnahs he would react to in the early years who knows why, as his got older his tolerance has got much better and I think I have learnt more as well.

Equi

Visit site
My mare is a little different in that shes a miniature so was never going to be a ridden star. I bred her and my aim for the "foal" was to be a decently conformed mini who would show ok and maybe breed. I got everything i wanted in her in that she is a beautiful example of the breed and mini judges liked her body but she always had a bit of a stank attitude lol outside the ring she will be a beautiful mare, but in it she won't. She doesn't at all have that "it" attitude like her mother and father had ( I had both and showed both to champ/supreme level, and i broke both to drive. her mum had a 1st in a show driving ) I have had her looked at by vets and physios just to make sure there is nothing physical making her a bit off and nothing came up. She just isn't going to be that horse and that is how it is, its her attitude since birth....thankfully i can keep her for life and i doubt i will breed her - she was never bred to drive and wont ever drive..shes too fine. Her brother was always a bit of a show off and in the ring really shined...he is just so beautiful and has that "it" factor...unfortunately didn't have the same good conformation so would never go too far in the ring but he will be amazing to drive when i get around to breaking him. Point being horses have their own personalities and some just won't be that horse. We can only hope they get a good lifelong home, and yours sounds like it will..

Marigold4

Visit site
UPDATE - well in the end I couldn't bear just to be a pony patter. So I sold the New Forest youngster for a decent amount of money to a lovely knowledgeable home (too small for me to back and ride) and bought a connie xID fresh over from Ireland. Unbacked 3 year old and ready to start the backing process once the days get lighter. Should make 15 hh eventually.

Meanwhile the warmblood youngster who has been so difficult is in a very ugly Torsion treeless saddle and we do very short sessions in walk trying to bank only "happy" positive rides - even if it sometimes means just 5 mins. Seems to be working well as he's now super relaxed. No goals in mind really except to get the two out hacking together once newbie is ready.

Attachments

• IMG-20211031-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20211031-WA0006.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 33

Birker2020

Visit site
Absolutely. If only they were all so loved.
The OP luckily has her own home and land but kudos for keeping them retired.

Its a bit different if you are on a livery yard and paying £110 per week as my friend is for her six year old she has never, and probably never will sit on due to his issue and he has another 20 years of life ahead of him.

Same situation for me with Bailey, still expensive but I would have done it for the rest of her life and put having another horse on hold but not everybody can afford to be in this situation.

I am so sorry OP, it must hurt so bad. x

Last edited:

Marigold4

Visit site
UPDATE NO. 2

So instead of completely giving up on my young horse or turning away, I have been riding for very short periods and very gradually increasing length of each ride. We are making progress and he seems much happier and relaxed now pressure is off. Don't want to jinx it, but I think I've found a saddle that he likes and that has a narrower twist than the Torsion that makes my hip hurt. We have a VsD HM Vogue with a thinline pad underneath and a curved girth to deal with his forward girth groove. We have also had a lesson with an Enlightened Equitation instructor who gets my approach. Another one soon. So feeling glad I persevered and thanks to all who encouraged me on this thread not to give up. It's not exactly the Nationals but it's something!