Saddle Advice

magpie92

Visit site
hey all

i am needing to look for a saddle for the horse i am buying, i have looked at thorowgood saddles and Wintecs as well, the saddle he has currently is a Frank Baines Elite but its a little out my price range.

what i was after was peoples opinions on the thorowgood as i know Wintecs are good saddles

thanks in advance

Magpie92

Princess Rosie

Visit site
You'll probably find people in both camps on this one, I've had both but much prefer thorowgood, I find they are much more comfortable and have fitted the two horses I've had then on better than wintecs. I currently have a thorowgood cob dressage and it has a leather seat and leather knee rolls and I am really pleased with it (having had to part with my beloved farrington WH when she changed shape. I find on my young mare the adjustable gullet is a really good idea and keeps my hubby happy to with me not wanting to change my saddle again! Lol. Having said that I absolutely adore the Isabelle worth wintecs but can never get my head around the price of them, I also found with the wintecs I had they were the fabric sort rather than the synthetic leather look material and I found I was constantly trying to get fingerprints and marks off them all the time.

magpie92

Visit site
i think i will try and find a saddlery shop that has both and see if i can try them out and see what suits us both. i have been asking friends/family but cant get a definite answer so i think its going to be trial and error

Palindrome

Visit site
If you can get a saddle fitter to come fit it to your horse that could make a big difference as if the saddle is not balanced (flocking and gullet width not adjusted to your horse's conformation) you won't be sitting comfortably in it so it could give you a false impression and tilt you forward or back and your horse won't be moving well in it. I personally have a Thorowgood dressage fitted by a SMS saddle fitter (they have a list of saddle fitters on their website) and love it.

PS: Wintecs are known to have a kink in the gullet which might not fit all horses. I don't know if they fixed that but that would concern me if they didn't. Thorowgood gullets are straight so the width you measure is the width you get. My fitter popped in the right size gullet free of charge so that's also a plus compared to buying in a shop.

Last edited: